Old 23-09-2013, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping cats out of garden

Tom Gardner wrote:

On 22/09/13 19:42, Tim Watts wrote:
Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and size is
too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply unpleasant
to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

You can get foul/fowl smelling sprays to stop chickens pecking
each other. I have no idea whether it would deter cats etc, but
it might be worth trying.

Now, if you could rig up a trap that directly sprayed them
when they walked past, I doubt they would like it at all!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defenders-ST...epeller/dp/B00
3TLA4FS

Peter
--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
Old 23-09-2013, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and size
is
too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply
unpleasant
to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

I don't mind the odd cat, but they are becoming a right pest lately.

Cats usually bury their poo. Young dog fox cubs are ejected from their
families round about late August. I suggest it might be them.

Old 23-09-2013, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts

scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume

and
size is too small for a fox.

Cats usually bury their poo. Young dog fox cubs are ejected from their
families round about late August. I suggest it might be them.

Doesn't fox poo have a very "foxy" but not unpleasant smell and a
pointed end? Cat poo smells foul.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-09-2013, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 19:43:19 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts

scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume

and
size is too small for a fox.

Cats usually bury their poo. Young dog fox cubs are ejected from their
families round about late August. I suggest it might be them.

Doesn't fox poo have a very "foxy" but not unpleasant smell and a
pointed end? Cat poo smells foul.

I've been told (somewhere, probably on a Ray Mears wildlife prog or
the like) that all predators turds have a pointed end. Presumably to
prevent the anus slamming shut and thus giving their presence away to
their prey.

To me, all cr@p is foul.
JonH
Old 23-09-2013, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts

scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume

and
size is too small for a fox.

Cats usually bury their poo. Young dog fox cubs are ejected from their
families round about late August. I suggest it might be them.

Doesn't fox poo have a very "foxy" but not unpleasant smell and a
pointed end?]Depends if the cubs have managed to to catch anything.

Cat poo smells foul.

Agreed, but they bury it.

Old 23-09-2013, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts

scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume

and
size is too small for a fox.

Cats usually bury their poo. Young dog fox cubs are ejected from their
families round about late August. I suggest it might be them.

Doesn't fox poo have a very "foxy" but not unpleasant smell and a
pointed end? Cat poo smells foul.

I've been told (somewhere, probably on a Ray Mears wildlife prog or
the like) that all predators turds have a pointed end. Presumably to
prevent the anus slamming shut and thus giving their presence away to
their prey.

I do like that one :-)

Old 23-09-2013, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts

scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume

and
size is too small for a fox.

Cats usually bury their poo. Young dog fox cubs are ejected from their
families round about late August. I suggest it might be them.

Doesn't fox poo have a very "foxy" but not unpleasant smell and a
pointed end?]Depends if the cubs have managed to to catch anything.

Cat poo smells foul.

Agreed, but they bury it.

Yup, under my wood chippings.
Guess who gets a handful of it when weeding?
My dog don't crap in my neighbour's garden, I see no reason why his vermin
cats should crap in my garden.

Old 23-09-2013, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/09/2013 20:52, 'Mike' wrote:

Gets a bit boring after you have heard the various versions over 60
years :-(

Only 60 ????

Old 23-09-2013, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

They don't.

Mike

Yes they do.
If you have loads of poo in your garden, unburied, it's not a cat.

Old 23-09-2013, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Not been around much longer to hear them.

I bow to your superior and 'aged' experience. .... ;-)

Mike

Old 23-09-2013, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:03:00 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

If you have loads of poo in your garden, unburied, it's not a cat.

Some cats are not very good at the burying, vague scratch in the soil
half hearted attempt to cover.

--
Cheers
Dave.