Old 25-09-2013, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping cats out of garden

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:47:32 +0100, Allan wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news
On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 21:24:26 +0100, Mr Pounder
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and size
is
too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply
unpleasant
to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

I don't mind the odd cat, but they are becoming a right pest lately.

I have tried everything and I mean everything in my front garden and
failed.
I now just pick the crap up and chuck it back over the fence into the cat
man's garden. He knows this.
He also knows what I will do to his cats if I get my hands on them whilst
crapping in my garden.
Pepper seemed to work for a while. Good luck.

I have numerous cats as you know, and I don't care what they do in other
people's gardens. In fact I prefer they don't leave it in mine.

If it was possible to train a cat to do so, I'd get them to use the toilet,
and they're not stinking my house out with a litter tray (and prefer to do
it outside anyway).

My next door neighbour but one curses me every time he sees me, but there
is nothing he can do about it, and I like this.

But I think there is something he can do about it. Pick the crap up and chuck it back over the fence into your garden.

He'd have to have a good throwing arm. Next door BUT ONE.

--
I was on a Southwest flight once that was delayed at the gate after everyone boarded. The flight attendant said over the intercom, "We're sorry for the delay. The machine that normally rips the handles off your luggage is broken, so we're having to do it by hand. We should be finished and on our way shortly."
Old 25-09-2013, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fuschia" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 00:00:09 +0100, "Let It Be"
wrote:

'Mike' wrote:
Shoot.

Skin.

Cook.

Eat.

Tastes like Rabbit

Mike

Cats are very useful at keeping the vermin and various birds off my
crops -
I bet you'd be very tasty to them 'mike', but then, they are rather
particular in the vermin the eat, so maybe not!

You are right, no cat would want to touch that sort of vermin.
He seems to sit at his computer just waiting for a mention of cats so
that he can post that same old comment again. What a wasted life.

I am not going to apologise for taking a lost cat in. It's not ideal as
I've stopped feeding the birds except way down my garden (where the nuthatch
box is, and where my cat never goes)
But hey. He's so useful at catching small rats. He's quite lazy, he
prefers to stay in most of the day on his bed, and go out in the dark when
he's not a threat to any birds.

Old 25-09-2013, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Monday 23 September 2013 23:14 Christina Websell wrote in
uk.rec.gardening:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:03:00 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

If you have loads of poo in your garden, unburied, it's not a cat.

Some cats are not very good at the burying, vague scratch in the soil
half hearted attempt to cover.

I am sure you must know a lot more about cats than I do.
Except I have one and I can assure you he buries his poo in his own
garden. Stop blaming cats for everything, it really annoys me.

We could start on them eating nice harmless birds...

I think I just hate cats because they are all nice to you when they want
something and as soon as they've got it, they bugger off waving their butt
in your general direction!

Well, I certainly agree with that! It's their nature and there nothing
much to be done about it as it's legal to have a cat and it's acknowledged
in UK law that the owner cannot control them and is not responsible for what
they do.

Old 25-09-2013, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume
and
size is too small for a fox.

Cats usually bury their poo. Young dog fox cubs are ejected from
their
families round about late August. I suggest it might be them.

Doesn't fox poo have a very "foxy" but not unpleasant smell and a
pointed end?]Depends if the cubs have managed to to catch anything.

Cat poo smells foul.

Agreed, but they bury it.

Yup, under my wood chippings.
Guess who gets a handful of it when weeding?
My dog don't crap in my neighbour's garden, I see no reason why his
vermin cats should crap in my garden.

You just don't understand cats.

You don't understand that I own my land and I do not want the ****ing
things shitting on my land.
Why do you not understand this?

I do.
I also own land, and I have enough that it doesn't really matter if somecat
shits in it, somewhere. I won't notice and even if I did, it's not the end
of the world.

Old 25-09-2013, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message

Yes, but they foul in someone elses garden. Burying it makes it 100 times
worse. There are no cat shit detectors. You only know it when it's
disgusting odour is on your hand or your tool (no remarks please).

so what's your idea?

Baz

Old 25-09-2013, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My next door neighbour but one curses me every time he sees me, but
there
is nothing he can do about it, and I like this.

But I think there is something he can do about it. Pick the crap up
and chuck it back over the fence into your garden.

He'd have to have a good throwing arm. Next door BUT ONE.

Why do you think Catapults were invented?
Old 25-09-2013, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/09/2013 22:00, Jake wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 19:43:19 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Cat poo smells foul.

I have never noticed any heavy aroma when scooping the stuff out of
the cat's litter box. Occasionally a slight sweetish sort of smell but
nothing I'd call foul. Maybe it's down to diet?

I'm surprised that no one has suggested this solution
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psad3e5725.jpg
Old 25-09-2013, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

I use a hoe, thus getting more mechanical advantage and subsequently,
range. Works for snails too.

Regards
JonH
Old 25-09-2013, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/top-10-cat-poisons

Old 25-09-2013, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

I know that my cat rarely goes out of his own 1/4 acre and likes to catch
the small ratties. He almost never catches birds
unless they jump into his mouth but unfortunately a collared dove has done
so recently.
He ate everything except one wing.

If they are so stupid as to not avoid an 11 y o cat they deserve their
Darwin award.

Tweed

Old 25-09-2013, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have found all cat owners to have the same ignorant attitude.
He knows that I will kill his cats if I manage to get my hands on one
whilst it is crapping on my property.

Isn't this getting a bit stupid? I can tell you if anyone killed my cat
they would regret it because he is a beautiful soul. and if you killed him
I'd pursue you to the end of the earth to make sure you went to prison if
you did.
Or if I found you first.
I am fairly kind normally, but best not to threaten my cat.

Old 25-09-2013, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

I'll refrain from giving him that idea.

--
Confucius say: "Man who run in front of car get tired"
Old 25-09-2013, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

One of my cats once brought me a sparrow, still alive, squawking like hell. I rescued the sparrow from it's mouth and it flew away. The cat was spanked and yelled at and it only catches mice now.

--
If "con" is the opposite of "pro", then what is the opposite of progress?