Old 22-09-2013, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping cats out of garden

Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and size is
too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply unpleasant
to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

I don't mind the odd cat, but they are becoming a right pest lately.

Old 22-09-2013, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Shoot.

Skin.

Cook.

Eat.

Tastes like Rabbit

Mike

Old 22-09-2013, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/09/2013 19:42, Tim Watts wrote:
Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and size is
too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply unpleasant
to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

I don't mind the odd cat, but they are becoming a right pest lately.

I,ve used a solution of Armilitox to keep foxes of sweetcorn an other
crops, also to keep people from parking in our gateway.
The smell lingers for several weeks.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and size
is
too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply
unpleasant
to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

I don't mind the odd cat, but they are becoming a right pest lately.

I have tried everything and I mean everything in my front garden and failed.
I now just pick the crap up and chuck it back over the fence into the cat
man's garden. He knows this.
He also knows what I will do to his cats if I get my hands on them whilst
crapping in my garden.
Pepper seemed to work for a while. Good luck.

Old 22-09-2013, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday 22 September 2013 21:13 David Hill wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

Armilitox

Soap?

Old 22-09-2013, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday 22 September 2013 21:24 Mr Pounder wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

I have tried everything and I mean everything in my front garden and
failed. I now just pick the crap up and chuck it back over the fence into
the cat man's garden. He knows this.
He also knows what I will do to his cats if I get my hands on them whilst
crapping in my garden.
Pepper seemed to work for a while. Good luck.

These cats are not immediately local - both neighbours have dogs.

Old 22-09-2013, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday 22 September 2013 19:56 'Mike' wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

Shoot.

Skin.

Cook.

Eat.

Tastes like Rabbit

Mike

I have considered a decent water pistol loaded with lemon juice... But it
would require a lot of dedication to "train" the cats. Even then, they would
probably learn to avoid me, not my land...

Old 22-09-2013, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.armillatox.co.uk/

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-ok_70078.html
Old 22-09-2013, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:
Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and
size is too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply
unpleasant to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

I don't mind the odd cat, but they are becoming a right pest lately.

I've had great success with unprocessed chicken manure spread over the earth
and initially watered - it even stops my cats from crapping where it's used
for long periods of time. The upshot is that they then use the neighbours
gardens instead!

Old 23-09-2013, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
Shoot.

Skin.

Cook.

Eat.

Tastes like Rabbit

Mike

Cats are very useful at keeping the vermin and various birds off my crops -
I bet you'd be very tasty to them 'mike', but then, they are rather
particular in the vermin the eat, so maybe not!

Old 23-09-2013, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/09/2013 23:53, Let It Be wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

IMO the popularity of bird feeders has increased the mice and rat
populations. I'm very grateful if a cat patrols our garden, especially
as I don't have to feed them
Old 23-09-2013, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:

Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and size is
too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply unpleasant
to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

I don't mind the odd cat, but they are becoming a right pest lately.

I wage a semi-constant war on the cat population on the estate where I
live. I have about 6 to 8 cats within 50 yards up and down the road,
and the only cultivated front garden within 100 yards. The result is as
you can imagine.

The solution is to spray male human urine on the garden. It sounds
bizarre but it does work. After about a week of spraying the front
garden, admittedly a small one, morning and evening the cats stop using
it and go elsewhere. This period lasts about two or three months, and
then the cats discover the garden again, and then off we go again.

The sprayer cost me £1.30 pence in the local "pound" shop and the
contents of course are free.

Trust me, it works.

Peter

-- The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
that you contact me then try peterATpfjamesDOTcoDOTuk
Old 23-09-2013, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/09/13 19:42, Tim Watts wrote:
Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and size is
too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply unpleasant
to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

You can get foul/fowl smelling sprays to stop chickens pecking
each other. I have no idea whether it would deter cats etc, but
it might be worth trying.

Now, if you could rig up a trap that directly sprayed them
when they walked past, I doubt they would like it at all!

Old 23-09-2013, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday 23 September 2013 08:25 Peter James wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

I wage a semi-constant war on the cat population on the estate where I
live. I have about 6 to 8 cats within 50 yards up and down the road,
and the only cultivated front garden within 100 yards. The result is as
you can imagine.

The solution is to spray male human urine on the garden. It sounds
bizarre but it does work. After about a week of spraying the front
garden, admittedly a small one, morning and evening the cats stop using
it and go elsewhere. This period lasts about two or three months, and
then the cats discover the garden again, and then off we go again.

The sprayer cost me £1.30 pence in the local "pound" shop and the
contents of course are free.

Trust me, it works.

I can see why. Clearly there is a pheromone or something at work that they
mistake for essence of tomcat.

Old 23-09-2013, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:

The solution is to spray male human urine on the garden. It sounds
bizarre but it does work. After about a week of spraying the front
garden, admittedly a small one, morning and evening the cats stop using
it and go elsewhere. This period lasts about two or three months, and
then the cats discover the garden again, and then off we go again.

The sprayer cost me £1.30 pence in the local "pound" shop and the
contents of course are free.

I was a little concerned until the final paragraph. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.