Old 23-09-2013, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Talking of cats ....

My wife was watching Countryfile on BBC1 yesterday evening. She said
there was a piece about animals that had suffered as a result of being
attacked by cats, and a hedgehog was one of them.

We both think it highly unlikely that a cat would attack a hedgehog and
get the better of it. Has anyone here ever come across a hedgehog which
is the worse for wear as a result of cat attack?

But certainly cats are very useful for keeping down the rodent
population in our garden.

David

Old 23-09-2013, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/09/2013 11:14, Jake wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:16:21 +0100, David Rance

I guess, though, the feral cat population in the country is a lot
more aggressive. I've stayed on a farm where feral cats were almost
encouraged to breed profusely in the barn simply because they took
care of rodents in the vicinity. Those cats, which were never fed,
could hold their own against the farm dogs and I was warned not to
approach them as they would most likely seem friendly only because
they were working out if I was edible or not.

They sound like Horse from Footrot Flats. :-)
--
Phil Cook
Old 23-09-2013, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:
On 23/09/2013 11:14, Jake wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:16:21 +0100, David Rance

I guess, though, the feral cat population in the country is a lot
more aggressive. I've stayed on a farm where feral cats were almost
encouraged to breed profusely in the barn simply because they took
care of rodents in the vicinity. Those cats, which were never fed,
could hold their own against the farm dogs and I was warned not to
approach them as they would most likely seem friendly only because
they were working out if I was edible or not.

They sound like Horse from Footrot Flats. :-)

Nice to hear of that again!

Actually, I think that's maligning the cats. They are probably
merely sizing you up according to whether you are carrying any
food, and are therefore worth mugging. I am sure that any fingers
they remove would be purely collateral damage, though they would
probably not reject them as a bonus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-09-2013, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My wife was watching Countryfile on BBC1 yesterday evening. She said
there was a piece about animals that had suffered as a result of being
attacked by cats, and a hedgehog was one of them.

We both think it highly unlikely that a cat would attack a hedgehog and
get the better of it. Has anyone here ever come across a hedgehog which
is the worse for wear as a result of cat attack?

But certainly cats are very useful for keeping down the rodent
population in our garden.

David

I have seen a hedgehog being "pawed" by a cat. It just rolled up and
waited for the cat to get fed up of being impaled.

OTOH I my aunties Jack Russell terrier killed a hedgehog.

Steve

Old 23-09-2013, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

My wife was watching Countryfile on BBC1 yesterday evening. She said
there was a piece about animals that had suffered as a result of being
attacked by cats, and a hedgehog was one of them.

We both think it highly unlikely that a cat would attack a hedgehog and
get the better of it. Has anyone here ever come across a hedgehog which
is the worse for wear as a result of cat attack?

But certainly cats are very useful for keeping down the rodent
population in our garden.

David

I have seen a hedgehog being "pawed" by a cat. It just rolled up and
waited for the cat to get fed up of being impaled.

Our experience with several cats and hedgehogs is the same as yours.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

When had whippets one of them rushed back to the house with a hedgehog in
her mouth, completely unharmed and rolled up. I let it go safely.
My cat wouldn't dream of it. He ignores them, but is extremely useful
around the chicken house, catching young rats. A few weeks ago he caught 3
in a hour.
He admits the big ones are beyond him, but hey, catching the little ones
prevents them growing up.

Tina