GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dahlia Overwintering Q Please. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208383-dahlia-overwintering-q-please.html)

Bertie Doe 23-09-2013 02:24 PM

Dahlia Overwintering Q Please.

On part of the Allotment (500' and exposed to easterlies) I have a patch 5 x
6 of 30 dahlias. In the past, every November, I have lifted and dried and
stored them in the loft.

2 probs with this method - some of the tubers cover a large area and I don't
like splitting them. Leaving the tubers uncovered for the Winter is out of
the question. I've lost established fruit trees and a 5 year old Wisteria,
in recent Winters.

Main prob, my back isn't so good these days. I'm aware that porous membranes
are good. However, I have some black heavy tarp which covers the area
perfectly. Question : Would the lack of water penetration for say, 3 months,
be detrimental to the tubers?

David Hill 23-09-2013 07:40 PM

On 23/09/2013 14:24, Bertie Doe wrote:
On part of the Allotment (500' and exposed to easterlies) I have a patch
5 x 6 of 30 dahlias. In the past, every November, I have lifted and
dried and stored them in the loft.

2 probs with this method - some of the tubers cover a large area and I
don't like splitting them. Leaving the tubers uncovered for the Winter
is out of the question. I've lost established fruit trees and a 5 year
old Wisteria, in recent Winters.

Main prob, my back isn't so good these days. I'm aware that porous
membranes are good. However, I have some black heavy tarp which covers
the area perfectly. Question : Would the lack of water penetration for
say, 3 months, be detrimental to the tubers?

I get the impression that you replant the whole clump of tubers each year.
It is best to divide them as you will get much better quality.
Are your 30 dahlias all different varieties?

Bertie Doe 23-09-2013 08:47 PM

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

Just 2 duplicates (comet) the rest are different. Q. If you had a clump with
say, 6 tubers, would each tuber produce a new plant?

David Hill 23-09-2013 10:55 PM

On 23/09/2013 20:47, Bertie Doe wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

Not every tuber will produce a new plant, it depends on the eyes that
form at the top of the tuber where it joins the stem.
I was going to say if you had several of each variety lift some of each
and leave the others in the ground, covered as you described.
It's mostly the wet that kills off the tubers, though they wont take the
tubers getting frosted.
As for lofting and dividing, there are a lot of clips on google that
show you what to do, mostly with first year tubers, this American one
shows a clump that is a little larger, and despite her American
pronunciation of Dahlia it is quite good.
http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/...g-dahlias.aspx
The Americans split their dahlias down to "Chicken Legs" that is single
tubers with one or two eyes, in the UK we tend to grow from cuttings or
from clumps of a few tubers.
if you have more questions I will try to answer them.
David @ what today was a dull but dry side of Swansea Bay.

Bertie Doe 23-09-2013 11:42 PM

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks David I will hit the sack now and look at that clip tomorrow. The
idea of removing single tubers (with eyes) sounds great. I have some sulphur
dust, I guess it's ok for dahlias?

It'll make loft storage a lot easier. I'd have no trouble in getting rid of
duplicates to neighbours and/or allotmenteers.

David Hill 24-09-2013 09:25 AM

On 23/09/2013 23:42, Bertie Doe wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

You may find this of interest as well.
I wouldn't divide down to single tubers till the spring,
In the US they have a lot of different methods for over wintering and
many people loose a lot of their tubers over winter.
I over winter my tubers in boxes covered in almost dry potting compost.
I store them upside down till the new year then turn them the right way
up and cover them with compost.
I propagate by cuttings, and divide those that I am short of before
planting.
David @ a sunny Swansea Bay

Bertie Doe 06-10-2013 10:08 AM

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

Just a quickie David. My oldest plant which has some sentimental value is
'New Baby'. For the last 2 years, it's showing signs of tiredness. This year
the buds haven't yet opened and it's half the height of its neighbours.

Is it too late at 9 years old to revitalise using the above division method?
Perhaps I should have done this at year 4.