Old 24-09-2013, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Extending fruiting on courgettes?

Getting towards the end of the season for courgettes, and the ones I have
in pots seem to be mainly scraggy old leaves which seem to serve mainly as
a refuge for slugs and an umbrella over the new growth.

However there is still a growing point and new buds forming.

I've cleared all the old leaves in the hope that this may encourage new
growth and a few more courgettes.

Has anyone managed to extend the season, or is it all down to day length,
sun, and maximum temperature?

Cheers

Dave R

Old 24-09-2013, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

Getting towards the end of the season for courgettes, and the ones I
have in pots seem to be mainly scraggy old leaves which seem to serve
mainly as a refuge for slugs and an umbrella over the new growth.

However there is still a growing point and new buds forming.

I've cleared all the old leaves in the hope that this may encourage
new growth and a few more courgettes.

Has anyone managed to extend the season, or is it all down to day
length, sun, and maximum temperature?

Cheers

Dave R

I think it is as you say all down to day length, sun, and maximum
temperature.

As with all cultivated veg plants IMO.

My new interest in greenhouse growing is a bit iffy. I will give it another
go next year. I am not very optomistic.

Baz
Old 28-09-2013, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
Getting towards the end of the season for courgettes, and the ones I have
in pots seem to be mainly scraggy old leaves which seem to serve mainly as
a refuge for slugs and an umbrella over the new growth.

However there is still a growing point and new buds forming.

I've cleared all the old leaves in the hope that this may encourage new
growth and a few more courgettes.

Has anyone managed to extend the season, or is it all down to day length,
sun, and maximum temperature?

Cheers

Dave R

You can't really extend the season with courgettes. They need a minimum
temp to grow and are very frost tender,
I suggest you grow a few more plants. but not 10 as I did this year - my
neighbours are looking very hunted.."anyone want a marrow?"