Old 25-09-2013, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Stealing and vandalism on our allotment site

It has been confirmed by the police that most of the thefts and vandalism
on our allotment site have been commited by the way of key theft.
These keys have been pickpockeded from council workers who have actively
been helping offenders who are either on parole or are on probation.
They have stooped so low in smearing tool handles with poo, knowing that
the user of that tool will get it on their hands.
I have had nothing stolen, but know of others who have.

The police are saying that a PCSO will help!
What is wrong with a proper constabulary helping?

Baz
Old 25-09-2013, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ...

It has been confirmed by the police that most of the thefts and vandalism
on our allotment site have been commited by the way of key theft.
These keys have been pickpockeded from council workers who have actively
been helping offenders who are either on parole or are on probation.
They have stooped so low in smearing tool handles with poo, knowing that
the user of that tool will get it on their hands.
I have had nothing stolen, but know of others who have.

The police are saying that a PCSO will help!
What is wrong with a proper constabulary helping?

It's a constant problem on allotment sites. Our site had not had any
problems in living memory then we had the allotment boom and most of the new
gardeners erected sheds which are just thief/vandal bait. Been raided twice
so far. Much better to buy a trailer for your car and use that to drive your
tools to and from the site, or get an old Defender van like me, then you
have nothing to steal or get vandalised on site. Also useful for collecting
manure and taking stuff down the dump and you get more land to work.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-09-2013, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote ...

[...]

Yep. It just seems negative though. It seems like the police want us to
take the law in our hands.
A bit of a clice that the law uses it's power to discriminate against
drivers, because it is easy. Instead of catching violent criminals.

Baz
Old 26-09-2013, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-26 10:41:18 +0100, Martin said:

snip
We have had theft of both vegetables and tools from our allotments,
which are located in a private controlled high security area. There
are thieves everywhere even amongst the highly paid.

Quite recently, in a gardening article, a woman wrote that her veg on
her allotment are regularly stolen. She said whoever the thief is must
know the allotments well,, because everything is picked when it's just
at the perfect 'ready' point.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-09-2013, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

take the law in our hands.
A bit of a clice that the law uses it's power to discriminate against
drivers, because it is easy. Instead of catching violent criminals.

Or maybe it's because drivers kill maim and injure far more people
than allotment vandals do.

Janet

Old 26-09-2013, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:17:59 +0100, Sacha

On 2013-09-26 10:41:18 +0100, Martin said:

snip
We have had theft of both vegetables and tools from our allotments,
which are located in a private controlled high security area. There
are thieves everywhere even amongst the highly paid.

Quite recently, in a gardening article, a woman wrote that her veg on
her allotment are regularly stolen. She said whoever the thief is must
know the allotments well,, because everything is picked when it's just
at the perfect 'ready' point.

Yes. We have one or two of those. If they would just ask permission....

The same happens on our allotments. Somebody has been stealing
pumpkins frequently.

Probably getting ahead of the game. Haloween is in November, and of course
it is a lot cheaper to steal them early.

For me it is the disgusting wanton harm they want to do to us.

Baz
Old 26-09-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in
:

On 26/09/2013 13:17, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:42:54 GMT, Baz wrote:

Janet wrote in news:MPG.2cae240a90ab0b30989be3
@news.individual.net:

In article ,
says...

take the law in our hands.
A bit of a clice that the law uses it's power to discriminate
against drivers, because it is easy. Instead of catching violent
criminals.

Or maybe it's because drivers kill maim and injure far more
people
than allotment vandals do.

Janet

I have never killed maimed or injured anyone and I am a driver.
I don't know anyone who has.

I do.

My property should be protected by the law. As my area police
charter insists.

My advice to you is to read the police charter for your area.

"Maybe" is not enough of an excuse to dismiss the police obligation
to uphold the law.

We don't have any local police. The police station was closed long
ago. It's interesting that it hasn't made any noticeable difference
to crime.

Sadly the police seem to administer the law these days,not just uphold
it. They decide when to take action, not automatically when a law is
broken.

Yes, and that police action, or lack of it, can be seen as
discrimination.
I know that in my area that whether you are black or white, young or old,
gay or hetrosexual, disabled or enabled, you are, or should be, entitled
to the protection of the law.
The police in real life seem to persecute those who perhaps need their
guidance.

Baz
Old 26-09-2013, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

Martin said:

snip
We have had theft of both vegetables and tools from our allotments,
which are located in a private controlled high security area. There
are thieves everywhere even amongst the highly paid.

Quite recently, in a gardening article, a woman wrote that her veg on her
allotment are regularly stolen. She said whoever the thief is must know the
allotments well,, because everything is picked when it's just at the
perfect 'ready' point.

A friend with an allotment in Staines went down their early one morning and
found an estate car parked outside the entrance with it's back open and lots
of veg in there, on entering the site he found an unknown Chinese lady
helping herself to whatever was ready. She drove off when she saw him.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-09-2013, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:17:32 +0200, Martin wrote:

We don't have any local police. The police station was closed long
ago.

Snap. Our Police cover provided by a team of eight but that includes
an Inspector, Sergeant and a PCSO. The Inspector covers other areas
not just us. That number is barely enough to have at least one
officer on patrol 24/7. They are also based about 20 miles away and
have a patch of several hundred square miles to cover...

It's interesting that it hasn't made any noticeable difference to
crime.

Locally there has been a spate of breakins 3 or 4 in the last couple
of months. Normal rate is 2 or 3 a year...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 26-09-2013, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday 26 September 2013 17:22 Janet wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

An allotment is not your private property.

The fruits of it are though.

Old 26-09-2013, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:33:22 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

[...]

Even more sadly when the police do catch a criminal often the
magistrates let them off.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

.....and this is often a source of great frustation for the police . The
case falls through due to lack of evidence or some technical point of law.

Bill