Old 26-09-2013, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Crane flies

An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

--

Jeff
Old 26-09-2013, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-26 18:00:38 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It's quite strange because we've seen two craneflies and our jackdaw
population has dropped dramatically.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-09-2013, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-27 11:15:01 +0100, Jake said:

On 2013-09-26 18:00:38 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It's quite strange because we've seen two craneflies and our jackdaw
population has dropped dramatically.

Our jackdaw population has risen dramatically, but all our many
magpies have disappeared.

Have only seen a couple of crane flies this year, nothing like the
usual numbers.

After last year's magpie "explosion" the neighbouring farmer has been
culling this year and I haven't seen more than 2 together at any time
Last year a dozen or more would arrive in the garden together and kill
other birds, apparently for sport as the bodies were left lying where
they fell. It's a lot quieter too!

We rarely see magpies in the garden, possibly because we have a
rookery. But if seen, they're shot. And farmers here shoot them and our
rooks, unfortunately! Yesterday I saw a rather dishevelled young
buzzard sitting on top of a telegraph pole and Ray thinks it's the one
he'd seen earlier, being mobbed by the rooks!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-09-2013, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-26 18:00:38 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Many magpies here, though there seems a dearth of Squirrels. An
newspaper article recently claimed that the grey squirrel population
has, for no known reason has dropped, and red squirrels are on the up.
Old 27-09-2013, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We don't have Grey Squirrels on the Isle of Wight here, only Reds, but we do
have a lot of Magpies and Rooks.

Mike

Old 27-09-2013, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-26 18:00:38 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Yes, I read that, too. And they've recently released red squirrels on
Tresco, which has no greys. Jersey has only red squirrels but some of
those are almost black.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-09-2013, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-26 18:00:38 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

I hear you have been exporting what our local paper calls "deadly false
widow spiders". Loads of sightings here in the south east, but
apparently it has been thriving in Devon for some years.
I will be taking extra care bringing the washing in.....
Old 27-09-2013, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:44:28 +0100, Sacha

On 2013-09-27 11:31:19 +0100, Broadback said:

Many magpies here, though there seems a dearth of Squirrels. An
newspaper article recently claimed that the grey squirrel population
has, for no known reason has dropped, and red squirrels are on the up.

Yes, I read that, too. And they've recently released red squirrels on
Tresco, which has no greys. Jersey has only red squirrels but some of
those are almost black.

ISTR that they released several red squirrels there last year, but
only two survived the winter. I know it was rather a long and cold
winter, but it raises the question as to whether Tresco the ideal
place for them. I thought they liked dense, mostly conifer, woodland.

Despite the previous deaths they've just brought in 20 more.

http://www.scillytoday.com/2013/08/2...rrels-joining-
tresco-colony/

Sounds crazy to me; having been to tiny Tresco I can't believe
there's enough territory, trees, cover or natural food supply to support
so many. Reds eat eggs; if they multiply there, it doesn't sound like
many birds will be breeding on Scilly :-(

Arran also has only red squirrels, (introduced a very long time ago)
but it's a far larger island with a great deal of undisturbed forest
and woodland offering natural food and dense shelter from the force of
winter gales. We notice in the garden, how territorial individual red
squirrels are and how aggressive they can be to others.

Janet (Arran)

Old 27-09-2013, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-26 18:00:38 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

We know someone in North Devon who was bitten by a spider and her arm
swelled enormously, so maybe that was the culprit. And our doc now
thinks that what might have bitten Ray a few years ago when his lip
swelled right up.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-09-2013, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-27 11:31:19 +0100, Broadback said:

Many magpies here, though there seems a dearth of Squirrels. An
newspaper article recently claimed that the grey squirrel population
has, for no known reason has dropped, and red squirrels are on the up.

Yes, I read that, too. And they've recently released red squirrels on
Tresco, which has no greys. Jersey has only red squirrels but some of
those are almost black.

ISTR that they released several red squirrels there last year, but
only two survived the winter. I know it was rather a long and cold
winter, but it raises the question as to whether Tresco the ideal
place for them. I thought they liked dense, mostly conifer, woodland.

Apparently, it's been gone into very carefully by all sorts of wildlife
experts, so it's not just something done on a whim. There are some
areas of conifer on Tresco and quite a deep shelter belt round the
garden itself.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-09-2013, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-27 13:04:21 +0000, Jake said:

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:23:45 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

We rarely see magpies in the garden, possibly because we have a
rookery. But if seen, they're shot. And farmers here shoot them and our
rooks, unfortunately! Yesterday I saw a rather dishevelled young
buzzard sitting on top of a telegraph pole and Ray thinks it's the one
he'd seen earlier, being mobbed by the rooks!

You've started me thinking now! Usually birds in quantity are a
constant here. But now I think of it, I haven't noticed any birds,
other than the occasional blackbird, at the feeders or table for weeks
now and I've started removing the uneaten stuff before it rots. The
cotoneasters and pyracanthas are usually stripped of berries before
they've fully ripened but this year there's a good display. The
September invasion of starlings hasn't happened either. I wonder why!

I did fill some bird feeders but they took several days to empty, so
for now I've left them empty. There are lots of seeds etc. around and
Matthew even grew a row of sunflowers in the field for the birds to
take. When it gets colder, I'll start filling them again but the
weather is still very mild here.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-09-2013, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-26 18:00:38 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It's quite strange because we've seen two craneflies and our jackdaw
population has dropped dramatically.

Huge plague of them here too. Also spiders, but that's not unusual!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 30-09-2013, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/09/2013 14:04, Jake wrote:

You've started me thinking now! Usually birds in quantity are a
constant here. But now I think of it, I haven't noticed any birds,
other than the occasional blackbird, at the feeders or table for weeks
now and I've started removing the uneaten stuff before it rots. The
cotoneasters and pyracanthas are usually stripped of berries before
they've fully ripened but this year there's a good display. The
September invasion of starlings hasn't happened either. I wonder why!

Sounds like it must be something Monty has done or not done)
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:

An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

I have noticed flocks of rooks on the golf course hunting crane fly
larvae I assume. The Green Staff spray the greens to stop damage from
birds hunting the grubs, but on the fairways I see flocks of rooks
digging away like mad. And always at this time of year.
You could almost set your watch by them.

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential