Old 30-09-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default GW viewing figures

In article ,
says...

He's President of the Soil Association which
explains his views on some matters but at the same time, using his
position to damage the trade of others

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Posting smear accusations online from your husband's business address
hardly reflects well on it.

Janet

Old 30-09-2013, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-30 14:52:56 +0100, Janet said:

In article ,
says...

He's President of the Soil Association which
explains his views on some matters but at the same time, using his
position to damage the trade of others

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Posting smear accusations online from your husband's business address
hardly reflects well on it.

Janet

I'm perfectly certain you, of all people, know the difference between
fact and malice. These are not 'smear accusations' and neither Ray nor
I is a public figure, nor a tv presenter, promoting personal
convictions. These are things that actually happened and that were said
in public forums. We are, therefore, able to discuss them and their
repercussions, in a public forum. They're not manufactured gossip.
They're fact and have already been widely discussed in print, online
and for all I know in pubs up and down the country. But you certainly
seem hellbent on suppressing this thread.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-09-2013, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/09/2013 09:56, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 13:36:28 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 29/09/2013 12:39, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:16:20 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I've just read a comment by Peter Seabrook that GW figures are now 1.5
million but used to be 4.5 million when A Titchmarsh did it.

If they counted the viewers who sleep through GW the figure would be
far less than 1.5 million.

I suspect you mean *discounted*, but I know what you mean ;~).

Correct.

I quite enjoy watching it, but don't often feel I've learned much,
except perhaps in veg growing.

The real question is why do we sleep deeper during GW than we do in
bed.

I would ask what it is you do in bed that keeps you awake ... but I'm
not sure I want to hear the answer ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 30-09-2013, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
I've just read a comment by Peter Seabrook that GW figures are now 1.5
million but used to be 4.5 million when A Titchmarsh did it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

So many good gardenig programmes made viewers produce so much produce that
now the numbers of viewers have gone over to looking at programmes telling
them how to cook what they've grown !!...:-)
Bill

Old 30-09-2013, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2013-09-30 14:52:56 +0100, Janet said:

In article ,
says...

He's President of the Soil Association which
explains his views on some matters but at the same time, using his
position to damage the trade of others

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Posting smear accusations online from your husband's business address
hardly reflects well on it.

Janet

I'm perfectly certain you, of all people, know the difference between
fact and malice. These are not 'smear accusations' and neither Ray nor
I is a public figure, nor a tv presenter, promoting personal
convictions. These are things that actually happened and that were said
in public forums.

No, they are not; you have twisted what he said and put words in his
mouth. According to you

"As far as I know, nobody
is saying that there should be *televised* visits to garden centres

or nurseries but that he, personally, in his private life doesn't go to
them.

That is incorrect, He said he doesn't go to GC's. He did not say, he
doesn't go to or buy from nurseries.

"Don't forget that he
also told people not to go to garden centres or nurseries that use peat

( That's not what he said)

"because he hates the use of peat and described using it/selling
peat-based compost as 'greed'."

That is also incorrect and misrepresents what he said; which is
quoted here

http://www.hortweek.com/go/peat_deba...35/monty-dons-
twitter-comments-irk-garden-centres-again/

and here

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...mar/17/gardens

He urges home gardeners to PURCHASE non-peat brands of compost
(from garden centres etc) and if they see none available, to make a fuss
to persuade the business to stock it.

These are things that actually happened and that were said
in public forums. We are, therefore, able to discuss them and their
repercussions, in a public forum. They're not manufactured gossip.

You are making up stuff he didn't say, which is NOT the same as
discussing what he did say.

But you certainly seem hellbent on suppressing this thread.

!!! More hysterical prevarication.

Janet.

Old 30-09-2013, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/09/2013 12:16, Sacha wrote:
I've just read a comment by Peter Seabrook that GW figures are now 1.5
million but used to be 4.5 million when A Titchmarsh did it.

Come on people.
Ease up on the get rid of Monty Don campaign.
This is at least the 3rd time that we have had the same sort of thread.
If you don't like the man then don't watch GW.
Why not use Points of view and other consumer programmes

Old 30-09-2013, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-30 19:04:28 +0000, David Hill said:

On 29/09/2013 12:16, Sacha wrote:
I've just read a comment by Peter Seabrook that GW figures are now 1.5
million but used to be 4.5 million when A Titchmarsh did it.

Come on people.
Ease up on the get rid of Monty Don campaign.
This is at least the 3rd time that we have had the same sort of thread.
If you don't like the man then don't watch GW.
Why not use Points of view and other consumer programmes

It started as a comment on GW viewing figures. Whether or not 'getting
rid' of MD would make a difference is debatable. It could actually be a
change in the type of direction involved, not the person fronting it.
But something has led to a considerable fall in figures and surely it's
valid to talk about that on a gardening group? We could 'big ourselves
up' and say groups like this are influential!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-09-2013, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-30 18:11:55 +0000, Janet said:

In article ,
says...

On 2013-09-30 14:52:56 +0100, Janet said:

In article ,
[...]

If he visits Nurseries, why would he not have said so on the many
occasions he's been criticised for those comments? Not one nurseryman
has come forward to say "Monty visited my Nursery", so far as I'm
aware. Have you read of that? If he patronises Nurseries as opposed to
gcs, why not say so and why.

"Don't forget that he
also told people not to go to garden centres or nurseries that use peat

( That's not what he said)

"because he hates the use of peat and described using it/selling
peat-based compost as 'greed'."

That is also incorrect and misrepresents what he said; which is
quoted here

http://www.hortweek.com/go/peat_deba...35/monty-dons-
twitter-comments-irk-garden-centres-again/

and here

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...mar/17/gardens

He urges home gardeners to PURCHASE non-peat brands of compost
(from garden centres etc) and if they see none available, to make a fuss
to persuade the business to stock it.

Yes, you're right. So - the implication is that those who sell peat
are 'greedy', so that will certainly encourage people to patronise
them, you think?

These are things that actually happened and that were said
in public forums. We are, therefore, able to discuss them and their
repercussions, in a public forum. They're not manufactured gossip.

You are making up stuff he didn't say, which is NOT the same as
discussing what he did say.

So you would consider it reasonable to assume that he's telling
gardeners that they should patronise gcs that sell peat based products?
The industry seems not to see it that way, however

But you certainly seem hellbent on suppressing this thread.

!!! More hysterical prevarication.

Janet.

I'm not the one trying to stop the debate, Janet. Check your own agenda.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-09-2013, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2013-09-30 18:11:55 +0000, Janet said:
[...]

Possibly because he thinks the crticism spurious; and rightly
imagines any keen gardener with a brain would realise if he doesn't go
to GCs so he buys his plants elsewhere; nurseries and growers, at plant
fairs and online.

But the point is, you INVENTED a statement about nurseries he did not
make. You then INVENTED that he called GC's "greedy". (The link I gave
proves otherwise) Remember, you're the one pretending to be discussing
true facts, and what he said in public. UNfortunately for you, what he
said in public is on public record and does not match your fantasy
versions. Had you read the link, you'll see that he is in fact
SUPPORTING the amateur gardener,shopping in GC's, to make ethical
choices when spending their money. That's not taking business away from
them. Quite how you twist that to him "telling people not to go there"
god knows.

You then INVENTED, twice, that I am trying to suppress this thread and
stop the debate.

You're the fantasist with a dirty little agenda of your own.

Janet

Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-30 21:15:20 +0100, Janet said:
snip

You then INVENTED, twice, that I am trying to suppress this thread and
stop the debate.

You're the fantasist with a dirty little agenda of your own.

Janet

I wonder why you have to be so vituperative. Your above comments would
certainly not explain how it is that so many people in the trade were
angered and upset over things MD has said and recommendations made.
This has been pointed out to you and not only by me.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com