Old 30-09-2013, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do you like them apples!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-years.html

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-09-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/09/2013 10:44, Sacha wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-years.html

Quite an achievement, both in the grafting and in the conservation of
rare apple stocks. However, I wouldn't want the job of pruning it
considering the differences in vigour on just a 3-apple 'family' tree.
Now I come to think of it, I wouldn't want to mow that lawn with all
those supports in the way!

Great to see it, though. Thanks, Sacha.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 30-09-2013, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/09/2013 18:42, Spider wrote:
On 30/09/2013 10:44, Sacha wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-years.html

Quite an achievement, both in the grafting and in the conservation of
rare apple stocks. However, I wouldn't want the job of pruning it
considering the differences in vigour on just a 3-apple 'family' tree.
Now I come to think of it, I wouldn't want to mow that lawn with all
those supports in the way!

Great to see it, though. Thanks, Sacha.

When I was a youngster living in Hastings (well just outside) our Dr was
doing just that with the help of the local Parks superintendent, they
had around 60 varieties grafted onto the one tree.
Unfortunately he and his family were lost when they were flying to their
holiday home in Spain and their plane disappeared somewhere over the
channel.
David @, a dry but overcast side of Swansea Bay
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-30 19:26:33 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Sad story, David but still one that's fascinating with regard to the
apple tree. How long is it before a graft 'takes'?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com