Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT beds

On 10/1/2013 3:22 PM, Spider wrote:

Since you're so impressed, perhaps you would be happy to answer a
long-standing query I have with regard to memory foam mattresses?

Although it can be demonstrated that they do 'remember', say, the
pressure of a hand (as in the advertising), how do we know they're
remembering a good posture, as opposed to a bad posture?

I've never thought that 'memory' foam was a particularly good name...

What my back appreciates about it, is that, for instance, when I lie on
my side, my well-rounded hip sinks in to the mattress, but my waist is
still properly supported - it allows my spine to be straight, rather
than curving sideways to fit the flat, firm, surface of my previous
sprung mattress.

In very hot, humid weather, I add a fluffy cotton-covered mattress pad.
It slows down the shape-accommodation of the foam, but stops me feeling
hot and sticky.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 10/1/2013 3:22 PM, Spider wrote:

Since you're so impressed, perhaps you would be happy to answer a
long-standing query I have with regard to memory foam mattresses?

Although it can be demonstrated that they do 'remember', say, the
pressure of a hand (as in the advertising), how do we know they're
remembering a good posture, as opposed to a bad posture?

I've never thought that 'memory' foam was a particularly good name...

What my back appreciates about it, is that, for instance, when I lie on my
side, my well-rounded hip sinks in to the mattress, but my waist is still
properly supported - it allows my spine to be straight, rather than
curving sideways to fit the flat, firm, surface of my previous sprung
mattress.

Exactly the same here. Wonderful support!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

I know that this is totally off topic but thinking about how many gardeners
have back problems I thought I'd ask my question here.
It's time for me to change my mattress and my back is giving me a lot of
problems.
I'm wondering about a Memory foam mattress, but I don't know anyone who has
one.
Are they as good as the advertising says, or is it just hype.

I have had arthritis of the lower spine since I was 35, they said I would
probably end up in a wheelchair. We have a mattress that has pocket springs
with a few inches of memory foam on top. I can recommend it. One word of
warning, it weighs a ton.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-01 16:17:04 +0000, S Viemeister said:

[...]

It would probably be better if it was just called a contour foam, or
something of that sort. I was highly sceptical because my last 'foam
mattress' was on a boat and its memory was altogether too good. It
adopted all the dents and hollows of which the human shape is capable
and held onto them indefinitely, after a very few months. My experience
with the Tempur pillow is that it simply supports the head and neck and
there is absolutely no shape of me left behind! And I am *very* fussy
about my pillows because not only can they affect my balance next day
but also my sleep each night. Given David's back problems I'd
certainly recommend one of those, too. I have two ordinary pillows on
top for reading etc. and Ray sleeps with one on top of his Tempur
pillow. But I find that the height, density and 'slope' of that
pillow is absolutely perfect. My daughter, who has had recent neck
surgery, lower back surgery (and is facing more, probably on her lower
back) absolutely swears by the pillow. She hasn't yet bought the
mattress only because she's waiting to see what her surgeon's final
pronouncement is! Otoh, an 80 year old friend who had back surgery
several times, a long time ago, has a Tempur mattress and is totally
enamoured of it. I really don't know if one make is better than
another so can only speak for those I know who have bought that
particular brand.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2013 18:42, sacha wrote:
On 2013-10-01 16:17:04 +0000, S Viemeister said:

[...]

Looking at Memory foam mattresses on line I saw a Tempur mattress on
offer for only £2100,
Well a reasonably good mattress for around £400 would leave £1700 for
remedial massage on my back by an attractive young lady.
No choice.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Looking at Memory foam mattresses on line I saw a Tempur mattress on
offer for only £2100,
Well a reasonably good mattress for around £400 would leave £1700 for
remedial massage on my back by an attractive young lady.

I would dispute that a good mattress costs around £400; I'd say at
least £1000... and I suggest you might equally underestimate the cost
of a good, trained massage (as opposed to an oily back rub).

Given the huge negative effect a bad back and poor sleep has on all
aspects of life and mental and physical health, I'd say spending £2100
to improve them is a good investment.

Janet

Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Our bed and mattress was in excess of £3,000

Mike

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2013 21:08, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Looking at Memory foam mattresses on line I saw a Tempur mattress on
offer for only £2100,
Well a reasonably good mattress for around £400 would leave £1700 for
remedial massage on my back by an attractive young lady.

I would dispute that a good mattress costs around £400; I'd say at
least £1000... and I suggest you might equally underestimate the cost
of a good, trained massage (as opposed to an oily back rub).

Given the huge negative effect a bad back and poor sleep has on all
aspects of life and mental and physical health, I'd say spending £2100
to improve them is a good investment.

Janet

There is no way I would take out a mortgage on a mattress at my age, and
the last few massages I have had from a qualifies massage therapist
cost £25 for an hour,( and he was in his 40's), and they were not "Oily
back rubs"
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2013 17:17, S Viemeister wrote:
[...]

Ah! That's very helpful. As you say, perhaps 'memory' foam is not the
best name. Thanks for clarifying.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/13 21:08, Janet wrote:
Given the huge negative effect a bad back and poor sleep has on all
aspects of life and mental and physical health, I'd say spending £2100
to improve them is a good investment.

I tend to agree.

OTOH, spending £2100 and finding no improvement would
be somewhat of a disappointment.

I'd suggest spending £100 or so on a simple piece of
memory foam to see if there's an improvement - there
was for my daughter. If there is, then it might be
useful to spend the other £2000 - it wouldn't be for
my daughter.

In this case more than most, YMMV.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 01/10/2013 21:08, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Looking at Memory foam mattresses on line I saw a Tempur mattress on
offer for only £2100,
Well a reasonably good mattress for around £400 would leave £1700 for
remedial massage on my back by an attractive young lady.

I would dispute that a good mattress costs around £400; I'd say at
least £1000... and I suggest you might equally underestimate the cost
of a good, trained massage (as opposed to an oily back rub).

Given the huge negative effect a bad back and poor sleep has on all
aspects of life and mental and physical health, I'd say spending £2100
to improve them is a good investment.

Janet

There is no way I would take out a mortgage on a mattress at my age,

"At your age" is the very time you should, because "at your age" is
when you most need to sleep well, take care of yourself and stay fit and
mobile for as long as possible.

Otherwise you might end up spending lots more time bedbound in your
sickbed with a lumpy saggy old mattress and wishing you'd bought a
better one :-)

Janet
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2013 00:03, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 01/10/13 21:08, Janet wrote:
Given the huge negative effect a bad back and poor sleep has on all
aspects of life and mental and physical health, I'd say spending £2100
to improve them is a good investment.

I tend to agree.

OTOH, spending £2100 and finding no improvement would
be somewhat of a disappointment.

I'd suggest spending £100 or so on a simple piece of
memory foam to see if there's an improvement - there
was for my daughter. If there is, then it might be
useful to spend the other £2000 - it wouldn't be for
my daughter.

In this case more than most, YMMV.

One wonders what the "other" £2K covers then
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/13 21:08, Janet wrote:
Given the huge negative effect a bad back and poor sleep has on all
aspects of life and mental and physical health, I'd say spending £2100
to improve them is a good investment.

I tend to agree.

OTOH, spending £2100 and finding no improvement would
be somewhat of a disappointment.

I'd suggest spending £100 or so on a simple piece of
memory foam to see if there's an improvement - there
was for my daughter. If there is, then it might be
useful to spend the other £2000 - it wouldn't be for
my daughter.

In this case more than most, YMMV.

One wonders what the "other" £2K covers then

I can imagine that there might be research overheads, warehouse
overheads, stocking overheads, returned items, salesroom overheads
sales staff to watch people trying things out for 60 mins,
personal consultations and advice.

And all that probably /does/ make it worth £2k worth
/if/ it enables you to get a better night sleep.

Whatever is done, you'll pay to gain experience.

Maybe £100 would be a useful way of finding out the
questions (and answers) that are most relevant to each
person's case.

(BTW, after lying on each, my daughter opted for a 7cm
thick memory foam topper, not 5cm. Other cheaper toppers
seen were, IIRC, 1cm memory foam on 5cm ordinary foam,
which she didn't like)

But, YMMV, and those are /not/ recommendations!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

I know that this is totally off topic but thinking about how many gardeners
have back problems I thought I'd ask my question here.
It's time for me to change my mattress and my back is giving me a lot of
problems.
I'm wondering about a Memory foam mattress, but I don't know anyone who has
one.
Are they as good as the advertising says, or is it just hype.

David we have an orthopaedic bed with a 4" topper. Firm support but feels
like floating on air, bloody marvellous!!

Has a life of about 2 years and you will also need to buy a washable cover.
Can't remember where I bought the cover, but we bought the topper from these
folk :- http://preview.tinyurl.com/oru3tv8

Their sale ends soon, suspect quality of product is pretty much the same
from all vendors. p.s. do be tempted to buy a thin one.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/13 09:14, Jake wrote:
On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 17:54:28 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote

I know that this is totally off topic but thinking about how many gardeners
have back problems I thought I'd ask my question here.
It's time for me to change my mattress and my back is giving me a lot of
problems.
I'm wondering about a Memory foam mattress, but I don't know anyone who has
one.
Are they as good as the advertising says, or is it just hype.

I have had arthritis of the lower spine since I was 35, they said I would
probably end up in a wheelchair. We have a mattress that has pocket springs
with a few inches of memory foam on top. I can recommend it. One word of
warning, it weighs a ton.

Just a thought - QVC sell memory foam mattress toppers and have a
30-day refund policy - as long as it's still clean you can send it
back for a refund of purchase price, you just pay the P&P each way.

An relatively low-cost option to try it out for a decent period
perhaps?

It might indeed, particularly if you can't easily get to a
decent mattress shop or foam shed.

I note that they are 2cm of "gel infused memory foams" whereas my
daughter's mattress was simply a 7cm lump of memory foam (she
preferred that to the 5cm).

If the gel might leak then it would have to be enclosed by
an impermeable membrane, which might make it more sweaty.
But foam tends to be sweaty anyway.

RAISED VEGETABLE GARDEN BEDS Jane Gardening 3 31-03-2003 04:44 AM
Raised Beds Orientation? Fred Le Blanc Gardening 2 30-03-2003 09:56 AM
Newbie question about soil in raised beds pgh Gardening 10 25-02-2003 07:27 PM
Filling raised beds Tony Gardening 11 14-02-2003 06:27 PM
Adding Compost To Mulched Flower Beds Fleemo Gardening 9 07-02-2003 07:34 PM