Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT beds

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message ...

/David we have an orthopaedic bed with a 4" topper. Firm support but feels
/like floating on air, bloody marvellous!!
/
/Has a life of about 2 years and you will also need to buy a washable cover.
/Can't remember where I bought the cover, but we bought the topper from
these
/folk :- http://preview.tinyurl.com/oru3tv8
/
/Their sale ends soon, suspect quality of product is pretty much the same
/from all vendors. p.s. do be tempted to buy a thin one.

Oops, meant to write "do NOT be tempted to buy a thin one

Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2013 00:11, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 01/10/2013 21:08, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Looking at Memory foam mattresses on line I saw a Tempur mattress on
offer for only £2100,
Well a reasonably good mattress for around £400 would leave £1700 for
remedial massage on my back by an attractive young lady.

I would dispute that a good mattress costs around £400; I'd say at
least £1000... and I suggest you might equally underestimate the cost
of a good, trained massage (as opposed to an oily back rub).

Given the huge negative effect a bad back and poor sleep has on all
aspects of life and mental and physical health, I'd say spending £2100
to improve them is a good investment.

Janet

There is no way I would take out a mortgage on a mattress at my age,

"At your age" is the very time you should, because "at your age" is
when you most need to sleep well, take care of yourself and stay fit and
mobile for as long as possible.

Otherwise you might end up spending lots more time bedbound in your
sickbed with a lumpy saggy old mattress and wishing you'd bought a
better one :-)

Janet

Janet
you may be rolling in money but some of us just don't have £2000 to
spend on a mattress or anything else for that matter.
I'll settle for the "Skoda" of mattresses and not a "Rolls Royce" as
long as it does the job.
If I have to change it in another few years then so be it.
But I wont be going for anything that only gives a 1 year guarantee.
David
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2013 09:40, David Hill wrote:
I know that this is totally off topic but thinking about how many
gardeners have back problems I thought I'd ask my question here.
It's time for me to change my mattress and my back is giving me a lot of
problems.
I'm wondering about a Memory foam mattress, but I don't know anyone who
has one.
Are they as good as the advertising says, or is it just hype.

Our local Dreams had a closing down sale and we bought one of these:

http://www.dreams.co.uk/beds/memory-...van-on-legs-12

What a fabulous bed - not one second regret.

--
Wendy Tinley
SE Sheffield
Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

[...]

Well, it wasn;t me who recently posted about the forthcoming arrival
of his huge new greenhouse (at his age! fancy!)

Janet.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2013 15:42, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

[...]

I don't think that a couple of 8ft by 10 ft greenhouses rank as huge.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ah go on - you'd look lovely dressed in mint and rosemary! ;-) But
seriously, it really is worth anyone getting very best mattress they can
afford even "at our ages". Even with a bad back, a very firm mattress
nearly kills me because all my joints stiffen up, others find it's just
what they need. If we were ever going to buy again, I'd opt for two
zipped together mattresses, because when we sleep on those in hotels, we
find we do sleep better as one doesn't disturb the other turning over or
getting up. No idea if you can do that with foam mattresses, though. I
think Janet's suggestion that you opt for a few nights in a hotel that
uses them, is the best one. You get a short break and a trial run all
in one go!

Yes but at around £70 a night ?

As a PS - could save you a lot and give you direct info, perhaps? But
the other best option is to get the topper and if you think that works,
splash out on the mattress, do you think? Complete non sequitor but the
best not-at-home bed we ever slept in was in NZ and it was a Paradise
mattress made in China. It was so deliciously comfortable I asked the s
Lodge owner for the name of the maker.

After talking to 4 different firms about Mattresses and getting
different info and opinions from each I had the feeling that they didn't
really have any real idea about their subject, one was even just reading
from their website, and badly at that.
I decided to get in touch with one of the manufactures flexcell
http://www.flexcell.co.uk/index.html
I had about a 15 minute chat to one of their people and he was very good
and certainly knew his subject.
His advice was not to go for memory foam but instead to have latex foam
as it shapes to you as you move where as memory foam is slower to react,
it (memory foam) holds the shape that is impressed into it for a few
minutes, hence it's name, also latex isn't as hot to the body.
His advice was to avoid the combination spring and foam mattresses as
they are very heavy to move around and not as good in the long run as
just foam.
His first choice was the top of the range which they can alter the core
filling to suit the weight of the buyer at no extra cost, might be the
one for you Sacha The Opurest mattress
His second choice was mid range.
I haven't ordered yet as I am still looking.
David

Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-02 20:50:31 +0100, David Hill said:
snip

[...]

Thanks, David and I'll make a note of that wonderful name, just in
case! At present, we're comfortable with what we'e got which we bought
from Betteridge in Kingsbridge 13 years ago. I can see Ray's face now
if I suggested throwing it out when there's nothing actually wrong with
us or it. Our bed is 7x7 so we have plenty of individual space and
neither of us will *ever* forget the 3 or 4 days we spent with friends
whose spare room contained a 4' bed for the two of us! It really was a
case of synchronised breathing and turning!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-02 20:50:31 +0100, David Hill said:
snip

[...]

Found that that is the problem with Premier Inns they just do that size
bed, no choice of twin beds so unless you are both slim to emaciated you
don't have any room.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-03 09:39:45 +0100, Martin said:

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 22:55:53 +0100, Sacha
wrote:
snip

Our bed is 7x7 so we have plenty of individual space and
neither of us will *ever* forget the 3 or 4 days we spent with friends
whose spare room contained a 4' bed for the two of us! It really was a
case of synchronised breathing and turning!

One of the problems with renting holiday cottages is the awful beds.
Some owners use them as a last resting place for their old beds.

I don't know if it's just a British habit to do that but friends have
told us of some horrendous encounters with tatty furniture,
uncomfortable beds, washing machines that don't etc. Everywhere we
stayed in NZ was, without exception, comfortable, beautifully furnished
and with superb breakfasts. Their b&b association does a great job.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-02 20:50:31 +0100, David Hill said:
snip

[...]

I always find it strange that as a nation we seem to be so 'mean' with
bed sizes!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2013-10-03 09:39:45 +0100, Martin said:

Our bed is 7x7 so we have plenty of individual space and
neither of us will *ever* forget the 3 or 4 days we spent with friends
whose spare room contained a 4' bed for the two of us! It really was a
case of synchronised breathing and turning!

One of the problems with renting holiday cottages is the awful beds.
Some owners use them as a last resting place for their old beds.

I don't know if it's just a British habit to do that but friends have
told us of some horrendous encounters with tatty furniture,
uncomfortable beds, washing machines that don't etc. Everywhere we
stayed in NZ was, without exception, comfortable, beautifully furnished
and with superb breakfasts. Their b&b association does a great job.

You should adapt to the location you are visiting. I used to carry
a complete household toolkit when on holiday in rural areas, and
usually had to fix quite a few completely broken items. My most
common job was attaching the toilet to the floor :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 2013-10-03 09:39:45 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

Funny if it wasn't also shameful! Friends of mine with 3 year old twins
were told by a holiday cottage owner that if the the washing machine
wasn't working properly, they should just go to the launderette. No
apologiy, no "I'll get it fixed or put in a new one", no money off the
price of the holiday! In a wet summer, they spent more time trying to
wash and dry wet or sandy clothes than any other single thing.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-03 09:59:50 +0000, Martin said:

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 10:31:39 +0100, Sacha

On 2013-10-03 09:39:45 +0100, Martin said:

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 22:55:53 +0100, Sacha
wrote:
snip

Our bed is 7x7 so we have plenty of individual space and
neither of us will *ever* forget the 3 or 4 days we spent with friends
whose spare room contained a 4' bed for the two of us! It really was a
case of synchronised breathing and turning!

One of the problems with renting holiday cottages is the awful beds.
Some owners use them as a last resting place for their old beds.

I don't know if it's just a British habit to do that but friends have
told us of some horrendous encounters with tatty furniture,
uncomfortable beds, washing machines that don't etc.

In France it is even worse. The French dump beds, in holiday cottages,
that were awful when new. We had an awful tiny double bed in a Dutch
B&B. We didn't expect a child size bed with a rock hard mattress in a
room advertised as a double.

Everywhere we
stayed in NZ was, without exception, comfortable, beautifully furnished
and with superb breakfasts. Their b&b association does a great job.

We took one cottage in France where every time you breathed the bed
creaked ominously and the wooden slats the mattress was on shifted
around. And the pillows were cheap supermarket ones about the thickness
of a biscuit.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2013 09:40, David Hill wrote:
I know that this is totally off topic but thinking about how many
gardeners have back problems I thought I'd ask my question here.
It's time for me to change my mattress and my back is giving me a lot of
problems.
I'm wondering about a Memory foam mattress, but I don't know anyone who
has one.
Are they as good as the advertising says, or is it just hype.

We're on our second memory foam mattress now. The first one was great
while it lasted, but after 6 years, it started to lose shape (dips
staying where the body usually lays. I think it was the undelying
non-memory foam substructure that was failing, but it could have been
partially the memory foam too. I'm pretty sure that is because it was
very cheap (between £200 and £300 istr). It only had a 5 year
guarantee, which probably should have warned me.

That said, I'm not convinced that you always get what you pay for.

The one we have now (for the last year) is from a company called
Ergoflex. We love it so far and I think it has a 10 year guarantee. It
is difficult to see what the major differences between it and Tempur
really are (apart from price and brand name marketing). It is a *lot*
cheaper than Tempur.

The key things to look out for are, I think, the foam density and how it
reacts to body heat.

--
regards
andy

Old 03-10-2013, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/10/2013 12:23, News wrote:
[...]

Just looking at Which reports, their top brand is Vi-Spring mattresses
Type Lowest price Highest price
Pocket sprung £835 £28,485
Ouch!

RAISED VEGETABLE GARDEN BEDS Jane Gardening 3 31-03-2003 04:44 AM
Raised Beds Orientation? Fred Le Blanc Gardening 2 30-03-2003 09:56 AM
Newbie question about soil in raised beds pgh Gardening 10 25-02-2003 07:27 PM
Filling raised beds Tony Gardening 11 14-02-2003 06:27 PM
Adding Compost To Mulched Flower Beds Fleemo Gardening 9 07-02-2003 07:34 PM