Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dead fish

Oh dear, our two largest fish have died. Each was well over 1' long.
The pond pump has broken and another is on its way but we think it must
be lack of oxygen that's caused it. Ray played a hose over the pond
for a long time but obviously, it wasn't enough. It seems daft to be
upset about two dead fish but they used to give children such a thrill
when they glided up to be fed.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2013 10:39, Sacha wrote:
Oh dear, our two largest fish have died. Each was well over 1' long.
The pond pump has broken and another is on its way but we think it must
be lack of oxygen that's caused it. Ray played a hose over the pond
for a long time but obviously, it wasn't enough. It seems daft to be
upset about two dead fish but they used to give children such a thrill
when they glided up to be fed.

....to say nothing of what fish that size would cost to replace. How big
is the pond? Have the fish perhaps outgrown it, and the oxygen levels
fallen below what they require? It's usually stated to be about 1
square foot of surface area for each inch of fish.

All you wanted to know about pond aeration (and a lot more you didn't!):
http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5744e/x5744e0m.htm

--

Jeff
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-01 11:03:59 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

On 01/10/2013 10:39, Sacha wrote:
Oh dear, our two largest fish have died. Each was well over 1' long.
The pond pump has broken and another is on its way but we think it must
be lack of oxygen that's caused it. Ray played a hose over the pond
for a long time but obviously, it wasn't enough. It seems daft to be
upset about two dead fish but they used to give children such a thrill
when they glided up to be fed.

...to say nothing of what fish that size would cost to replace. How
big is the pond? Have the fish perhaps outgrown it, and the oxygen
levels fallen below what they require? It's usually stated to be about
1 square foot of surface area for each inch of fish.

All you wanted to know about pond aeration (and a lot more you didn't!):
http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5744e/x5744e0m.htm

20'x20'x4' But it's got a lot of fish in it and they've obviously
been breeding, which aiui is supposed to show that they're happy with
their conditions. We have never had this problem before so the failure
of the pump has to be the cause, I would be pretty certain.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 11:34:22 +0100, Sacha

On 2013-10-01 11:03:59 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

If you want a pump of X litres per hour get two of X/2 litres per
hour. They can be plumbed together with plastic piping. Don't rely on
one pump.

Steve

Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 12:25:22 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

20'x20'x4' But it's got a lot of fish in it and they've

obviously
been breeding, which aiui is supposed to show that they're happy

with
their conditions. We have never had this problem before so the

failure
of the pump has to be the cause, I would be pretty certain.

Probably but don't rule out old age or disease. Are the trees
dropping their leaves down there? If they have gotten into the pond
and starting to decompose it will lower the oxygen levels.

If you want a pump of X litres per hour get two of X/2 litres per
hour. They can be plumbed together with plastic piping. Don't rely on
one pump.

Good, obvious when you think about it, idea especially with a large
pond and lots of fish.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:39:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Oh dear, our two largest fish have died. Each was well over 1' long.

What a shame it's not the time of year to be planting sweetcorn
Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-01 13:10:00 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:39:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Oh dear, our two largest fish have died. Each was well over 1' long.

What a shame it's not the time of year to be planting sweetcorn

Is that what you're supposed to put under sweetcorn? I've heard of dead
donkeys under grapes but dead fish and sweetcorn is a new one for me!
One of the Nursery staff did suggest I start peeling the potatoes…!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-01 11:03:59 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Good idea, Steve but the probem here is that the water comes up into a
large pot in the middle of the pond and splashes over into the pond
water. I don't think there's a way of incorporating another pump into
that set up. I'm open to ideas but whether Matthew will find the time
to implement them is another matter! This is how it looks normally.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/10038267043/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-01 13:10:00 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:39:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Oh dear, our two largest fish have died. Each was well over 1' long.

What a shame it's not the time of year to be planting sweetcorn

Is that what you're supposed to put under sweetcorn? I've heard of dead
donkeys under grapes but dead fish and sweetcorn is a new one for me!
One of the Nursery staff did suggest I start peeling the potatoes…!

That's what the Native Americans did, I am told:

"Growing Corn:
Fertilizer & Feeding: Corn is a heavy feeder, requiring rich soil.
Nitrogen is especially important, since corn is basically a grass. The
Native American practice of burying a fish head with the corn seeds was a
practical means of supplementing nitrogen. An inch or two of compost or
rotted manure will also work, as will feeding with fish emulsion
Watering: Water regularly, especially if you notice the leaves curling
and when the cobs begin to swell. Apply nitrogen fertilizer once the
plants are about 8 inches tall and again when they start producing
tassels. Keep the area free of weeds that will compete for food and
water."
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/1/2013 4:53 PM, Derek Turner wrote:

"Growing Corn:
Fertilizer& Feeding: Corn is a heavy feeder, requiring rich soil.
Nitrogen is especially important, since corn is basically a grass. The
Native American practice of burying a fish head with the corn seeds was a
practical means of supplementing nitrogen. An inch or two of compost or
rotted manure will also work, as will feeding with fish emulsion
Watering: Water regularly, especially if you notice the leaves curling
and when the cobs begin to swell. Apply nitrogen fertilizer once the
plants are about 8 inches tall and again when they start producing
tassels. Keep the area free of weeds that will compete for food and
water."

Once the corn had grown sufficiently, they planted beans around it - the
corn benefited from the nitrogen fixed by the bean roots, and provided a
pole for the beans. Then pumpkins or other squash were planted around
the perimeter - their scratchy vines helped to protect the corn and
beans from raccoons and other thieves.

Corn, beans, and squash were called the'three sisters'.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2013 14:16, sacha wrote:
One of the Nursery staff did suggest I start peeling the potatoes…!

Why?
Sounds to me as if they have already had their chips
Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
[...]

It doesn't work here, both because sweet corn is dwarfed and even
non-dwarfed corn doesn't grow very high, and because the limiting
factor is sunlight.

I grow squashes under sweetcorn and beans (separately), but it
isn't always completely satisfactory.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-01 17:26:00 +0100, David Hill said:

On 01/10/2013 14:16, sacha wrote:
One of the Nursery staff did suggest I start peeling the potatoes…!

Why?
Sounds to me as if they have already had their chips

Ba boom! Oh dear, poor old things, it really is very sad and honestly
and daft as it sounds, I miss them! We now have one large blonde who I
can't help feeling must be a female somehow. She's a very sinuous
Marily Monroe of the piscatorial world. Ray has got the pump started
again somehow, so hope everything is okay for a day or three!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-01 16:23:35 +0000, S Viemeister said:

[...]

That really is very clever stuff, isn't it? All of it, I mean.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com