Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Boots

I'm looking for waterproof ankle boots....any recomendations? Ta
--
Pete C
Adventure before dementia

Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 22:36:42 +0100, Pete C wrote:

The general view is that you will get better quality at half the

price,
at builders suppliers. Compared with "outdoor" /hill walking

shops.

Not sure how to do that Janet.

You walk in, puruse what boots they have, try a pair for fit, take to
counter purchase. Not a lot different to an ordianry shop really,
just not as clean and tarted up, just functional.

I want something like wellies, but short. I have seen stuff on Ebay and
Amazon, but prefer to buy on recomendation. I don't need wellies, which
I have, but have started voluntary work at an animal santuary.........
lots of poo about!

As some one has already said if there are animals of sheep/goat size
or bigger get steel toe caps. Most animals aren't like humans when
they tread on some ones toe, they just tread on it full weight no let
up until they want to move that foot again. Short steel toe capped
wellies should be available or the builders "rigger boots". TBH I'd
be looking at knee length steel toe capped wellies, and a boiler
suit. Poo will splash or spread quite high when mucking out...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

As some one has already said if there are animals of sheep/goat size
or bigger get steel toe caps. Most animals aren't like humans when
they tread on some ones toe, they just tread on it full weight no let
up until they want to move that foot again. Short steel toe capped
wellies should be available or the builders "rigger boots". TBH I'd
be looking at knee length steel toe capped wellies, and a boiler
suit. Poo will splash or spread quite high when mucking out...

Well, I agree that their hooves are sharp, but that argues more for
solid material than steel toecaps. I agree that they are more
likely to slide off a steel toecap than an unreinforced boot, but
most people who deal with large livestock can shove a goat or
sheep off their foot. The same does not apply to horses and cattle!

What you really do NOT need is what many gyms and other places
demand, which is a flimsy 'solid' foot covering that offers no real
protection. The number of places that have told me that sandals
are unsafe but the flimsiest of canvas shoes is safe is legion :-(
And you can get Wellington boots that are little better ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2013 08:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 00:22:05 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

I'm looking for waterproof ankle boots....any recomendations? Ta

Take a look in the urg archive at google, we've discussed this often.
The general view is that you will get better quality at half the price,
at builders suppliers. Compared with "outdoor" /hill walking shops.

Not sure how to do that Janet. I want something like wellies, but short.
have seen stuff on Ebay and Amazon, but prefer to buy on recomendation. I
don't need wellies, which I have, but have started voluntary work at an
animal santuary.........lots of poo about! Just don't want to muck up
trainers.

If the sanctuary keeps anything as large as donkeys, horses etc I
suggest boots with steel toecaps. Vets working with large animals wear
them.

Yep I have my eye on some. Now, how to stop geese biting.....you know
where!! lol

One of these
http://tinyurl.com/oxcn9kx ? ;-)

Not knowing where you are I would say a good local agricultural supplies
store that sells clothing etc..
Here we have 2 about 15 miles from us in opposite directions.
One has part of a 6ft wide display with 2 brands of wellies, the other
has around 50ft run 5 shelves high with boot, shoes wellies etc. priced
from just over £10 to well over £100.
I'd go for full length wellies as mud etc. will migrate up the sides of
boots.
I was out yesterday getting a new pair of wellies for myself
I get Nora, they are light weight, have no cloth lining so if they get
wet or dirty inside they can be wiped dry.
They are proper working werllies and I have been wearing them now for
around 50 years ( and before some smart ass says anything, Not the same
pair).
See http://www.protectoplast.co.uk/our-p.../polyurethene/
david@an overcast side of Swansea bay
Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks.
--
Pete C
Adventure before dementia

Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
o.uk...
Now, how to stop geese biting.....you know where!! lol
--

Easy. If a gander approaches with his neck forward with the idea of
attacking (usually only in the breeding season) just take hold of him behind

Not so when I had a builder to do some work. They were grazing on my lawn
and he said "are they OK to go in with?" and I said yes because I truly
believed they were.
Whoops!
Never seen a builder move so fast. My gander, he said "NO, get the **** out
of here." He did.

Tip: never tease a gander, he will resent it, remember it and will have his
day with you ;-)

I love geese. They are very intelligent.

Tina