GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fertiliser Life (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208460-fertiliser-life.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 03-10-2013 07:38 PM

Fertiliser Life

Whilst rooting through the shed, I found tucked away
at the back two bukets for fertiliser, Growmore and
Blood, Fish & Bone.

They both look dry and as I remember them, but they
must have been there for about 4 years or so (I was
ill and away one summer so did not do anything).

Should I just chuck them, or are they still likely to
be active and provide the required nutrients?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Martin Brown 04-10-2013 09:11 AM

Fertiliser Life

On 03/10/2013 19:38, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Whilst rooting through the shed, I found tucked away
at the back two bukets for fertiliser, Growmore and
Blood, Fish & Bone.

They both look dry and as I remember them, but they
must have been there for about 4 years or so (I was
ill and away one summer so did not do anything).

Should I just chuck them, or are they still likely to
be active and provide the required nutrients?

It might have lost a bit of nitrogen - particularly if it now smells
strongly of ammonia, but it is still OK for potassium and phosphates it
just isn't quite as nitrogenous as it once was. Use it as needed but
accept that you might need a bit more nitrogen based fertiliser too.

I always buy my fertiliser discounted at the end of the season when they
want to make room for Santa's grotto (usually about now so that he can
fight with all the demons, ghouls and ghosties on Halloween).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown