Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fertiliser Life

Whilst rooting through the shed, I found tucked away
at the back two bukets for fertiliser, Growmore and
Blood, Fish & Bone.

They both look dry and as I remember them, but they
must have been there for about 4 years or so (I was
ill and away one summer so did not do anything).

Should I just chuck them, or are they still likely to
be active and provide the required nutrients?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/10/2013 19:38, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Whilst rooting through the shed, I found tucked away
at the back two bukets for fertiliser, Growmore and
Blood, Fish & Bone.

They both look dry and as I remember them, but they
must have been there for about 4 years or so (I was
ill and away one summer so did not do anything).

Should I just chuck them, or are they still likely to
be active and provide the required nutrients?

It might have lost a bit of nitrogen - particularly if it now smells
strongly of ammonia, but it is still OK for potassium and phosphates it
just isn't quite as nitrogenous as it once was. Use it as needed but
accept that you might need a bit more nitrogen based fertiliser too.

I always buy my fertiliser discounted at the end of the season when they
want to make room for Santa's grotto (usually about now so that he can
fight with all the demons, ghouls and ghosties on Halloween).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Bare root strawberries (shelf life, indoor life - to survive in thefrost, ready to plant outside)? gar_newbie Gardening 5 25-03-2009 09:20 PM
Best Fertiliser Jack United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
fertiliser papa United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 12:00 AM
Manure and Fertiliser Bart United Kingdom 9 16-02-2003 12:11 AM
Fertiliser burn ss Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 07:25 PM