Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Bean Seed.

Is there any virtue in saving one's own Runner Bean seed for planting in the
next season. I was asked the question as to any pifalls in using saved
seed, but not being much of a gardener I have to ask those who know.

TIA

Bill

Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well look at it this way, the seeds my 'gardener' planted were bought seeds
................................ and didn't germinate and grow.

The replacement plants given to her by other gardeners
............................... were plants from saved seeds

:-(

Answer your questions?

My 'gardener' has been gardening in excess of 50 years :-)

Mike

Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 15:00:44 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

Is there any virtue in saving one's own Runner Bean seed for planting in the
next season. I was asked the question as to any pifalls in using saved
seed, but not being much of a gardener I have to ask those who know.

I'm leaving some pods to dry out as they're a heritage variety. If I'd
grown a regular, easily available variety I think I'd buy new.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote

Is there any virtue in saving one's own Runner Bean seed for planting in
the next season. I was asked the question as to any pifalls in using saved
seed, but not being much of a gardener I have to ask those who know.

Saved seed will be a cross between any variety that is flowering close by,
unlike bought seed which is of one named variety. It depends what you want,
personal choice.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Is there any virtue in saving one's own Runner Bean seed for planting in the
next season. I was asked the question as to any pifalls in using saved
seed, but not being much of a gardener I have to ask those who know.

They must be one of the easiest and most successful of seeds to save.
Choose the biggest, lumpiest looking pods, pick the whole, closed pod
and hang it somewhere warm and dry inside until it's brown and brittle.
Then open it and extract the dry seeds, spread them out for a day to
make sure they are bone dry then save the best and biggest in a tin, or
a paper bag.

My grandfather always saved his RB seeds. Podding and sorting them was
a favourite winter evening job for us as children.

Years ago an elderly friend gave me some saved seeds of an RB which had
been grown and handed down his family for ever a century. They
originated from the garden of some Big House where his forebear was a
lowly gardener. Impressed by the crop he'd grown for his wealthy
employer's kitchen he asked if he could take home some seeds for his
home garden and was refused. So he took them anyway :-) I grew them for
a couple of seasons but TBH found they were not as good as my favourite,
Red Emperor. Geoff Hamilton was tickled by the story, asked me for a few
and repeated it when he planted them on GW. Some weeks later I got an
excited letter from a plant geneticist in Dublin, and gave him the rest
of my stock.

Janet.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2013 17:12, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

If you save your best beans for seed you can slowly improve the strain,
also you will have beans that like your conditions.
Don't be tempted to use the runts that weren't worth picking to cook.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you everyone for your good advice. My friend who oginally asked me
can take on board yur advice with confidence.

Best wishes

Bill

Old 04-10-2013, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Well look at it this way, the seeds my 'gardener' planted were bought
seeds ............................... and didn't germinate and grow.

The replacement plants given to her by other gardeners
.............................. were plants from saved seeds

:-(

Answer your questions?

My 'gardener' has been gardening in excess of 50 years :-)

Mike

Indeed - thanks.

Bill

Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
Is there any virtue in saving one's own Runner Bean seed for planting in
the next season. I was asked the question as to any pifalls in using
saved seed, but not being much of a gardener I have to ask those who know.

I know someone who claims to have kept and grown his own seeds of runner,
french and broad beans for over 25 years without problems.

Steve