Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Last year's unplanted daff and tulip bulbs ok?

I bought some Daffodil and tulip bulbs in Oct 2012 and I never got round to planting them. They have been on a dry shelf in my garage which gets a little bit of light from a door and small window. They look ok, some have sprouted, is it worth me planting them out or do I need a trip to the garden centre to get "new" ones?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-06 11:24:18 +0100, Mark said:

I bought some Daffodil and tulip bulbs in Oct 2012 and I never got
round to planting them. They have been on a dry shelf in my garage
which gets a little bit of light from a door and small window. They
look ok, some have sprouted, is it worth me planting them out or do I
need a trip to the garden centre to get "new" ones?

You can't lose anything by planting them! But if you want to take a
belt and braces approach, plus enhance your display, buy some new ones,
too. I'd look at online suppliers and see what their prices are for
bulbs.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-10-2013, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/10/2013 11:24, Mark wrote:
I bought some Daffodil and tulip bulbs in Oct 2012 and I never got round to planting them. They have been on a dry shelf in my garage which gets a little bit of light from a door and small window. They look ok, some have sprouted, is it worth me planting them out or do I need a trip to the garden centre to get "new" ones?

Yes
Buy new and mix the 2 lots and plant them.
If the old bulbs are soft and squishy or totally shrivelled then dump
them, but if they are firm and as you say starting to sprout or show new
root growth then they are fine, but may not flower this year.
I have spent the morning planting daffs after having to cut wet grass, I
got mine from Fentongollan, despite the name they are not in Wales, but
in Cornwall. Well worth having a look at their web site.
http://www.flowerfarm.co.uk/default.aspx
Delivery was prompt and so far around 50% of the daffs have been double
or triple nosed, some of the best bulbs I have bought for many years.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote...

Mark wrote:
[...]

Just looked at that site, nice selections, notice the sell the white form of
Chionodoxa lucilliae, excellent for naturalising in grass/lawns just like
it's normal blue variety. Very reliable performers.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.