Old 10-10-2013, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost?

David Hill wrote in
:

On 09/10/2013 13:42, Baz wrote:
"Bolt Upright" wrote in
:

Last spring I filled my outside plant pots with compost, that bagged
up stuff for a couple of quid per bag.
Nothing spectacular was grown in them.
Will the compost still be okay for next year or should I renew it?
I can't find much on Google about this.
If it will still be okay, do I leave the compost outside in the
pots, or do I put it in a container and store in the garage?

Thanks

You don't have to google. This group is here to help you, from real
gardeners experiences.
I always put last years compost into my compost heap along with all
kitchen waste(not cooked food or meat), weeds(no seeds) newspapers,
cardboard, tea bags, coffee filters and all the foliage from spent
plants, in fact all garden waste. It lets nature take its course. I
don't understand just how this works.... but it does, and there are
posters here who DO understand how it works.
It all rots down to make the most rich compost over time. Money can't
buy that IMO.

Baz

Oh Please Baz don't discourage people from Googling first.
Then when they get a lot of conflicting answers come to us to get
probably as many again.
It's like "When do I prune my roses"?
There are so many books written on that subject that you will miss the
right time as you will still be reading them

I know what you mean, David.
But I would rather have info. from trusted posters here than some pot
boiling volume which was destined to go out with the rubbish, but was
somehow published.
If it wasn't for this group I would still be struggling with my veg. and
would stll be buying crappy tasteless substitutes from Asda.
Googling never heplped ME, just clouded the issues.
To me there are only two things that matter, Experiance and experiance.

Baz
Old 10-10-2013, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in :

David Hill wrote in
:

On 09/10/2013 13:42, Baz wrote:
"Bolt Upright" wrote in
:

[...]

Experience I should say. Not the previous spelling. My checker works when
it wants to these days.

Baz
Old 10-10-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2013 13:12, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 09/10/2013 13:42, Baz wrote:
"Bolt Upright" wrote in
:

[...]

I use Google a lot to point me in directions to investigate further,
it's a reference, not a bible.
David
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in news:bbnu2qF9ov8U1
@mid.individual.net:

On 10/10/2013 13:12, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 09/10/2013 13:42, Baz wrote:
"Bolt Upright" wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, David.
Many people, me included, find our Google investigations are left
wanting. A person can Goole to their hearts content and still draw a
blank.

That is why I use this group.

Baz
Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-10 17:00:53 +0100, Baz said:

David Hill wrote in news:bbnu2qF9ov8U1
@mid.individual.net:

On 10/10/2013 13:12, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 09/10/2013 13:42, Baz wrote:
"Bolt Upright" wrote in
:

[...]

I think that Google is immensely useful but it's often contradictory,
too. The benefit of a group like this is that we talk to people we
'know' from several years chatting back and forth and we have a pretty
good idea of who to listen to with regard to advice and experience. For
me, there's a reassurance in that (and not only on gardening matters at
times!) which can't be got from reading the disagreements between
strangers!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com