Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Registered User

Default What is this shrub?

Hi All,

Attached is an image of a shrub/tree that I have seen growing in some ones garden.

Any ideas what it could be? As I would like to grow some in ours.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
What is this shrub?-2013-10-05-14.47.50.jpg
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adders21" wrote in message

Hi All,

Attached is an image of a shrub/tree that I have seen growing in some
ones garden.

Any ideas what it could be? As I would like to grow some in ours.

Thank you

Do you mean the plant that is scrambling over the wall? If not the
shrub/tree is too far away to see.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2013 17:40, Adders21 wrote:

Hi All,

Attached is an image of a shrub/tree that I have seen growing in some
ones garden.

Any ideas what it could be? As I would like to grow some in ours.

Thank you

|Filename: 2013-10-05 14.47.50.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15863|

What shrub?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered User

Hi All,

I'll try again.

Here are some close up's and its the tree/shrub that is climbing up the trellis/frame.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
What is this shrub?-1a.jpg   What is this shrub?-2a.jpg
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2013 08:07, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 18:40:18 +0200, Adders21
wrote:

Hi All,

Attached is an image of a shrub/tree that I have seen growing in some
ones garden.

Any ideas what it could be? As I would like to grow some in ours.

Thank you

|Filename: 2013-10-05 14.47.50.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15863|

I can see a weeping something that's probably a willow,

I was thinking that the weeping something was Ulmus glabra 'Pendula'
(not 'Camperdownii' or Fagus sylvatica 'Pendula', but one can't really
tell from this photograph.

a sycamore,
possibly a small copper beech, ivy on the wall, and a tall screen of
something that I don't recognise being trained over a framework of
bamboos. Which one was it you wanted identifying?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Registered User

More close up's of the foliage
Attached Thumbnails
What is this shrub?-3.jpg   What is this shrub?-4.jpg
Old 08-10-2013, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Adders21.cc9c0a7
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

More close up's of the foliage

|Filename: 3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15867|
|Filename: 4.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15868|

Looks like pleached hornbeams.Someone is making a very labour intensive
tall, narrow privacy screen between the road and the house.

Hornbeams are a tree not a shrub.

Janet
Old 08-10-2013, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

[ Fat table omitted ]

Looks like pleached hornbeams.Someone is making a very labour intensive
tall, narrow privacy screen between the road and the house.

Hornbeams are a tree not a shrub.

Well, maybe - the problem is that the boundary between the two is
rather unclear. Hornbeam can be grown as a shrub (i.e. coppiced)
with no difficulty. I agree that is neither doing so nor anything
that looks even remotely sensible!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered User

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies.

So, reading your comments you wouldn't suggest copying this style of screening.

Attached are 2 pictures showing the area I wish to screen, pink shading (we have a nosy neighbour) any suggestions?

I did think of putting up a wavy trellis...
Attached Thumbnails
What is this shrub?-gdn1.jpg   What is this shrub?-gdn2.jpg

Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-08 18:04:48 +0100, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Janet wrote:

[ Fat table omitted ]

Looks like pleached hornbeams.Someone is making a very labour intensive
tall, narrow privacy screen between the road and the house.

Hornbeams are a tree not a shrub.

Well, maybe - the problem is that the boundary between the two is
rather unclear. Hornbeam can be grown as a shrub (i.e. coppiced)
with no difficulty. I agree that is neither doing so nor anything
that looks even remotely sensible!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think it looks like someone has bought several of the pre-sale
espaliered fruit trees one can buy. Off the top of my head, I can't
remember all of them but I'm pretty sure that along with peach and
apricot, there's also apple, pear and plum. For those who aren't
familiar with this method, the frame is an A shape with several cross
pieces and the trees have already been tied into them. If we've got
any, I'll try taking a photo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-08 18:04:48 +0100, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Janet wrote:

[ Fat table omitted ]

[...]

These are youngsters but the ones in the OP's photo may well be more
mature versions. Afaik, they can be bought in all sorts of sizes.
There seems to be a combination of the A-frame and pleaching frames in
the photo. There is a beautiful pleached hornbeam hedge either side of
an allée at Roy Strong's garden, The Laskett and another lovely one at
Buckfast Abbey.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...1825/lightbox/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Looks like pleached hornbeams.Someone is making a very labour intensive
tall, narrow privacy screen between the road and the house.

Hornbeams are a tree not a shrub.

Janet
There isn't quite enough resolution on the photos to make out the leaves, but we can see that they are roughly almond shaped with a toothed or irregular edge, so hornbeam is probably a good guess, especially since it is well known for this kind of work.

Hornbeam is not the only tree than can be trained in this manner. Pleaching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is common to pleach mulberry in the mediterranean. But a key point is that it is a lot of work. Also it isn't much of a screen in the half of the year with no leaves.

The quickest and most reliable kind of screen is made of brick or wood or the like, also takes up very little space. Plants can then be put in front of it to decorate it.

You can also get a year-round screen just by planting a typical evergreen hedge, but you will have to maintain it. The trouble with really fast growing hedges is that they are more work to maintain in the longer runs. The trouble with sensible hedges is that they take a few years to get to the height you like. Some of the evergreen berberis are some of the easiest hedges, and occupying relatively little space as hedges go. Bamboo is another screen if you choose an evergreen kind, and is one of the few hedges that reaches a natural maximum height of its own accord. However it takes a few years to get there; is relatively expensive as a plant; and may need in-ground infrastructure to prevent it becoming invasive.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleaching) It is common to pleach mulberry
[...]

You could try Miscanthus, not as expensive as bamboo dies off each
winter but regrows in the spring, the dead stems will still form a screen
Also Post and rail trellis with climbing roses, will give you a screen
for half the year.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-09 16:32:24 +0100, David Hill said:
snip

You could try Miscanthus, not as expensive as bamboo dies off each
winter but regrows in the spring, the dead stems will still form a
screen
Also Post and rail trellis with climbing roses, will give you a screen
for half the year.

Or the evergreen Lonicera japonica Darts World or Holboellia.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM