Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sad Cox's apple tree

My own fault, I should have thinned the apples. The crop is huge, though
the apples on the small size. This morning on going down the garden I
saw that the tree was leaning considerably. On investigation I noticed
that it has happened at the graft, the weight of the fruit was too much!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
My own fault, I should have thinned the apples. The crop is huge, though
the apples on the small size. This morning on going down the garden I saw
that the tree was leaning considerably. On investigation I noticed that it
has happened at the graft, the weight of the fruit was too much!

I too have a cox's on dwarf stock. It's not 6 ft yet, and earlier in the
year when counting the apples, I stopped at 150! I gradually thined to about
50 now, small but delicious. I've put in extra stakes around the tree and
tied in sagging branches.
--
Pete C
Adventure before dementia

Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2013 16:53, Broadback wrote:
My own fault, I should have thinned the apples. The crop is huge, though
the apples on the small size. This morning on going down the garden I
saw that the tree was leaning considerably. On investigation I noticed
that it has happened at the graft, the weight of the fruit was too much!

I'd stake it hard so that the break in the graft is closed as tight as
possible, then with luck in couple of years the break will have healed
completely.
But remember it will be a slow job.