Old 09-10-2013, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storing Beetroot

Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/10/2013 15:00, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

I'll store it with shallots in vinegar, if you give me half a chance!

:-)

--
Wendy Tinley
SE Sheffield
Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

It just goes to show how different things can turn out.
Our beetroot has been very poor this year.
We leave ours in the ground for as long as possible before frosts and
pickle the larger ones, or make wine from them, or both.
The smaller ones can be stored in ever so slightly moist newspaper or
sawdust to use as a boiling veg. They don't seem to keep well. 2 months is
my experience. They go woody after that IME.

Baz
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wendy Tinley wrote in
:

On 09/10/2013 15:00, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

I'll store it with shallots in vinegar, if you give me half a chance!

:-)

Same here.
I love them boiled, as you would do with carrots.
If you don't mind pink mashed potatoes, put them to cook on the top of your
steamer.:-;

Baz
Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

I seem to recall alternate layers of sliced beetroot and onion in something
like a sweet jar which was filled with vinegar. There may have been some
sugar involved to "sweeten" the beetroot. This preserve was consumed at
Xmas.

Perhaps someone can fine tune the hint I've given.

Bill

Beetroot Nitro® United Kingdom 2 28-05-2007 12:55 PM
Advice please about radish and beetroot scallyally Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2007 11:53 AM
Beetroot tops The Reids United Kingdom 9 26-08-2004 10:37 AM
Beetroot Darkginger United Kingdom 5 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Beetroot farmerbrown.fsnet.co.uk@fs United Kingdom 1 26-02-2003 05:39 AM