Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cyclamen photo

Sorry! Forgot to attach the photo link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Sorry! Forgot to attach the photo link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Nice photo Sacha.

Bill

Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/10/2013 16:33, Sacha wrote:
Sorry! Forgot to attach the photo link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Hi Sacha,

I thought it was Cyclamen persica (of which there are many), but having
looked at the photostream on the link below I became delerious with
Cyclamenitis, and am now not so sure.

I found the site by googling for cyclamen national collections. The
collection associated with this link is in Devon, so fairly local to
you. You could do worse than to send your pic to them.

Click and enjoy ...

https://sites.google.com/site/cherubeergardens/cyclamen

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-10-2013, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2013 16:46, Spider wrote:
On 09/10/2013 16:33, Sacha wrote:
Sorry! Forgot to attach the photo link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Hi Sacha,

I thought it was Cyclamen persica (of which there are many), but having
looked at the photostream on the link below I became delerious with
Cyclamenitis, and am now not so sure.

I found the site by googling for cyclamen national collections. The
collection associated with this link is in Devon, so fairly local to
you. You could do worse than to send your pic to them.

Click and enjoy ...

https://sites.google.com/site/cherubeergardens/cyclamen

I always thought that speckling on cyclamen flowers was caused by
Botritus trying to get a hold on flowers that were damp for a short
period of time.
I did wonder about something like thrip, but that would have given
distortion of the flowers, and they are fine.
You could always pollinate a couple of the most speckled flowers and see
what you get from seed raised plants.
David @ a cool but dry side of Swansea Bay
Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-11 19:33:29 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Interesting idea and I'll try that. But apparently there is a variety
of speckled or spotted Cyclamen but I can't pin the name down. I've
just seen references to it in postings on different forums.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-11 16:46:41 +0100, Spider said:

On 09/10/2013 16:33, Sacha wrote:
Sorry! Forgot to attach the photo link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Hi Sacha,

I thought it was Cyclamen persica (of which there are many), but having
looked at the photostream on the link below I became delerious with
Cyclamenitis, and am now not so sure.

I found the site by googling for cyclamen national collections. The
collection associated with this link is in Devon, so fairly local to
you. You could do worse than to send your pic to them.

Click and enjoy ...

https://sites.google.com/site/cherubeergardens/cyclamen

Great source, thank you! I'll go through that and will send them our
photo. I hadn't even heard of this place, so that's another revelation.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-11 12:06:52 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Sorry! Forgot to attach the photo link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Nice photo Sacha.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I'm a bit of a point and press person!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-10-2013, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-11 19:33:29 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

I heard back from the very helpful Jo Hynes who says she thinks it's C.
persicum, which can be scented but that the damage is probably aphids.
She thinks botrytis would have induced general rotting off, which
hasn't happened. This one plants is now in our house, so I'm waiting
to see what the buds produce!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-10-2013, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/2013 23:01, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-10-11 19:33:29 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

If botrytus was left to develop then it would give rise to general rot,
but sometimes you can get it just starting then the plant drying up and
the botrytus dying off, in tomatoes this gives rise to ghost spotting
http://visualsunlimited.photoshelter...000UHmosSkQAzw
David
Old 14-10-2013, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-11 19:33:29 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Thanks, David. This is interesting and the reason I read about spotted
cyclamen but couldn't find a name is now obvious!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-10-2013, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

If botrytus was left to develop then it would give rise to general rot,
but sometimes you can get it just starting then the plant drying up and
the botrytus dying off, in tomatoes this gives rise to ghost spotting
http://visualsunlimited.photoshelter...000UHmosSkQAzw

Thanks for that information.

I have occasionally seen cyclamen bulbs with fairly large pits,
so I think that they can recover from incipient general rot
(sometimes, perhaps rarely). And the mechanism could well be
the same. The cultivated C. persicum seem to be a bit demanding
on humidity and watering, but C. coum and hederifolium seem to
be resistant to fairly extreme drying out.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-10-2013, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/2013 10:39, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

If botrytus was left to develop then it would give rise to general rot,
but sometimes you can get it just starting then the plant drying up and
the botrytus dying off, in tomatoes this gives rise to ghost spotting
http://visualsunlimited.photoshelter...000UHmosSkQAzw

Thanks for that information.

I have occasionally seen cyclamen bulbs with fairly large pits,
so I think that they can recover from incipient general rot
(sometimes, perhaps rarely). And the mechanism could well be
the same. The cultivated C. persicum seem to be a bit demanding
on humidity and watering, but C. coum and hederifolium seem to
be resistant to fairly extreme drying out.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Interestingly, I have what I believe is a Cyclamen persica (sold as
Auntumn/Winter bedding), which has spent the last 2 or 3 years outside.
During the worst of winter weather I keep it close to the house wall,
but it has thrived, seeded itself magnificently and looks capable of
surviving another winter.

I am tempted to split up this bounty and continue giving one half the
usual winter treatment, and the other half full winter treatment to see
if the seedlings at least have become winter hardy.

Certainly, it is worth more of us trying to grow cylamen from seed. It
is not that difficult, and very rewarding. The trick is not to throw
the pot of 'bare' compost out during the rest period, believing it to
have failed. The following season, the seed tuber sprouts an extra leaf
or two and the tuber is bigger. Within 3 or 4 years it should give you
the first flower. So exciting!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 14-10-2013, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

[...]

Clearing the old glasshouse site I found 4 cyclamen in pots, just
starting to sprout, these are some sort of hardy ones I raised from seed
around 8 years ago.
David
Old 14-10-2013, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Interestingly, I have what I believe is a Cyclamen persica (sold as
Auntumn/Winter bedding), which has spent the last 2 or 3 years outside.
During the worst of winter weather I keep it close to the house wall,
but it has thrived, seeded itself magnificently and looks capable of
surviving another winter.

I think that's the key, and is why almost all cyclamen tend to be
found under trees etc. - anything that protects them from the winter
wet is good. My C. coum are in the rain shadow of the house, and
love the position - but I have to do almost no weeding because it
is so dry!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-10-2013, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

[...]

Goodness! What a lucky find. They must have huge tubers. Don't you
remember what you planted? No label?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London