Old 12-10-2013, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pak choi with brown streaks in stems

It isn't just pak choi, but I have seen it in chard and other things.
Quite a lot develop long brown streaks in the stems, which look like
some form of rot, mostly on older leaves. What I don't know is what
triggers it.

I have flea beetle, but I don't think that's it, as I can see no
association with physical damage.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/2013 14:50, Nick Maclaren wrote:
It isn't just pak choi, but I have seen it in chard and other things.
Quite a lot develop long brown streaks in the stems, which look like
some form of rot, mostly on older leaves. What I don't know is what
triggers it.

I have flea beetle, but I don't think that's it, as I can see no
association with physical damage.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I remember growing Chinese cabbage a few years ago, some of them got a
stem rot which sounds almost the same. I was told it was Boron deficiency.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

It isn't just pak choi, but I have seen it in chard and other things.
Quite a lot develop long brown streaks in the stems, which look like
some form of rot, mostly on older leaves. What I don't know is what
triggers it.

I have flea beetle, but I don't think that's it, as I can see no
association with physical damage.

Any ideas?

I remember growing Chinese cabbage a few years ago, some of them got a
stem rot which sounds almost the same. I was told it was Boron deficiency.

Yes, the pundits quote that as a mantra, but there is no evidence
for it, and I am pretty sure that it is not the case with me. Inter
alia, one would expect far more uniformity across plants than I am
observing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/2013 15:14, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

It isn't just pak choi, but I have seen it in chard and other things.
Quite a lot develop long brown streaks in the stems, which look like
some form of rot, mostly on older leaves. What I don't know is what
triggers it.

I have flea beetle, but I don't think that's it, as I can see no
association with physical damage.

Any ideas?

I remember growing Chinese cabbage a few years ago, some of them got a
stem rot which sounds almost the same. I was told it was Boron deficiency.

Yes, the pundits quote that as a mantra, but there is no evidence
for it, and I am pretty sure that it is not the case with me. Inter
alia, one would expect far more uniformity across plants than I am
observing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

With the price of boron I'd water some on, you are talking parts per
million.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

It isn't just pak choi, but I have seen it in chard and other things.
Quite a lot develop long brown streaks in the stems, which look like
some form of rot, mostly on older leaves. What I don't know is what
triggers it.

I have flea beetle, but I don't think that's it, as I can see no
association with physical damage.

Any ideas?

I remember growing Chinese cabbage a few years ago, some of them got a
stem rot which sounds almost the same. I was told it was Boron deficiency.

Yes, the pundits quote that as a mantra, but there is no evidence
for it, and I am pretty sure that it is not the case with me. Inter
alia, one would expect far more uniformity across plants than I am
observing.

With the price of boron I'd water some on, you are talking parts per
million.

Been there - done that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

pak choi bob[_5_] United Kingdom 1 25-05-2010 02:53 PM
Abreu, Bombers extend streaks - GO YANKEES!!! Fast Larry[_3_] Gardening 9 14-06-2007 04:05 PM
Blood Streaks in Fins Reel Mckoi Ponds 6 22-09-2005 03:30 PM
Pak Choi The Reid United Kingdom 2 09-07-2003 09:11 PM
days on seed pak ROBERT O'REILLY Edible Gardening 7 13-06-2003 11:44 AM