Old 18-10-2013, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - sort of

On 18/10/2013 20:29, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/18/2013 8:17 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

One of the major problems of living north of Inverness is that the
overnight parcel artics arrive in the city at around 0800 and all
the local carriers leave for their days deliveries at 0730. That is
if your parcel actually comes to Inverness, I have had many parcels
sent to Aberdeen because it's "quite close". I wonder how Londoners
would feel if all their parcels were sent to Exeter - about the same
distance from me as Aberdeen. Have also learnt never to include
the county of Sutherland in the address as all these parcels end
up in Sunderland!

Yes, I've had stuff go via Sunderland, too! They seem to ignore the
postcode.

Reminds me of a delivery I had a few years ago, I phoned to find out
where it had got to as it had been sent 5 days earlier, "Oh! We saw
Nurseries on the address and thought that as it's half term there
wouldn't be anyone there."
Duh!
Old 19-10-2013, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 19:57:01 +0100, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 10/16/2013 3:07 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/15/2013 10:16 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

Try living here, it takes DHL 3 DAYS to get a parcel to me from
Inverness, but of course that is 41 miles!

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday - TNT delivered an order from
Staples, which I had placed the previous afternoon - and I'm even
farther north than you are!

Well, it was too good to last. Order placed yesterday, email this
morning saying it had left Inverness and was out for delivery. Checked
TNT website after dinner, as box had not yet arrived - instead of
delivery info it said 'call'. I did - agent said the account was marked
'attempted delivery, recipient not at home' (or words to that effect). I
was home ALL DAY.

We've had this problem frequently.

The delivery men are paid for each delivery or attempted delivery.

If I call first thing Monday, I _might_ be able to arrange delivery for
Tuesday...

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Which is why putting leaving instruction on a parcel is such a good idea, as
that way when they try this they have to pay up if they don't leave it the
first time. I know sometimes there is nowhere to leave stuff safely but if
it can be, it stops them saying they have "Carded" you when in fact they
have been nowhere near and were just trying to save time, and don't think I
am having a go at the drivers, sometimes when I see what they are expected
to do in the time I am amazed how well they cope.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 19-10-2013, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/13 22:18, Martin wrote:
The delivery men are paid for each delivery or attempted delivery.

My variant of this problem is that a similarly
named road (that's only been there for 80m years)
isn't on many satnavs. (Yes I have submitted multiple
error reports). The consequence is that I often get
deliveries for the other address.

The incidence has been significantly reduced (but
not eliminated) by my suggesting that the other
house adds an extra field to their address stating
"opposite the supermarket".

The worst mis-delivery was roof height scaffolding;
the scaffolding company was apologetic but not amused!

Old 19-10-2013, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2013 09:14, Martin wrote:

In the days when there were still post offices here, we had a note
pushed through the door saying that it was the third attempt to
deliver and that the packet would be kept at the local post office for
so many days before being returned to sender. When my wife phoned the
post office to complain that we had been in when the note was pushed
through the door and that it was the first note we had seen, a woman
from the post office turned up in the evening in her own time to give
us the two missing notes, but not the packet. Since privatisation of
the mail here things have got a lot worse.

In just a week? Or do you mean the random parcels company that is
being used this time by your supplier. Doh! Forgotted you is Dutchish.

TNT are delaying and losing folks post here in populous areas of
Blighty now. They don't have sorting frames with every delivery point
on them and if they can't get in to a block of flats or there is too
much of it the post is sent to Royal Mail to deliver.
--
Phil Cook
Old 19-10-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2013 22:01, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 14:59:42 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

On 19/10/2013 09:14, Martin wrote:

In the days when there were still post offices here, we had a note
pushed through the door saying that it was the third attempt to
deliver and that the packet would be kept at the local post office for
so many days before being returned to sender. When my wife phoned the
post office to complain that we had been in when the note was pushed
through the door and that it was the first note we had seen, a woman
from the post office turned up in the evening in her own time to give
us the two missing notes, but not the packet. Since privatisation of
the mail here things have got a lot worse.

In just a week? Or do you mean the random parcels company that is
being used this time by your supplier. Doh! Forgotted you is Dutchish.

I am not a bit Dutchish.

TNT are delaying and losing folks post here in populous areas of
Blighty now. They don't have sorting frames with every delivery point
on them and if they can't get in to a block of flats or there is too
much of it the post is sent to Royal Mail to deliver.

TNT is part of the privatised remains of what was once Royal Mail
Netherlands. It is the successful part that still makes a profit.

When it comes to delivery "TNT isn't Dynamite"