GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT - sort of (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208538-ot-sort.html)

Sacha[_11_] 15-10-2013 11:29 AM

OT - sort of

We're looking for a reliable courier who would deliver plants within
the EU. Many refuse to handle plants because of all the risks involved
with damage or delay. If anyone happens to know of such a company I'd
be very glad to hear of it. will get
emails to me.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Baz[_3_] 15-10-2013 12:42 PM

OT - sort of

Sacha wrote in news:bc4johFibr8U1
@mid.individual.net:

We're looking for a reliable courier who would deliver plants within
the EU. Many refuse to handle plants because of all the risks involved
with damage or delay. If anyone happens to know of such a company I'd
be very glad to hear of it. will get
emails to me.

Well I get plants from T&M, Parkers and Marshalls sometimes,(not very
often) and they use a variety of couriers. It works for them as it surely
would for you.
You can ring Parkers and find out who they use, they are the most helpful
IME.
They all deliver within the EU as far as I know. Parkers and their couriers
do, I know that much. I have sent my daughter a few plants to her in Porto.
Mainly miniature rose. They remind her of home(England, not the
adress/home)

Hope this helps, Sacha

Baz

sacha 15-10-2013 01:13 PM

OT - sort of

On 2013-10-15 11:42:21 +0000, Baz said:

[...]

Thanks Baz. I'll ask Parkers about it. It may depend on size though -
cue awful jokes! We send our plants out at 1m tall at the highest and
rarely less than 45cm, which may have a bearing on what the couriers
take/charge. Weight certainly does and at present we stick at 1m
height, otherwise the price goes up steeply.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Baz[_3_] 15-10-2013 02:37 PM

OT - sort of

sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-10-15 11:42:21 +0000, Baz said:

[...]

Yes weight.
Sorry that I can't help now.

Baz

sacha 15-10-2013 04:07 PM

OT - sort of

On 2013-10-15 15:00:19 +0000, Jake said:

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:29:37 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

We're looking for a reliable courier who would deliver plants within
the EU. Many refuse to handle plants because of all the risks involved
with damage or delay. If anyone happens to know of such a company I'd
be very glad to hear of it. will get
emails to me.

DHL quote 1-2 days for delivery within the EU. Their max parcel size
is 120x80x80cm. In the past they have handled plants (I can't speak
for today though and IME the plants were dormant) and you may need to
open an account with them rather than be a "casual customer". IIRC
their prices start at around £35 a parcel and may be calculated by
volume rather than by weight - a large light parcel may cost more than
a small heavy one.

I would worry a bit as international handling will probably be worse
than within-UK handling though. You may need stronger boxes!

Actually, I've had a really helpful email from an urgler which has
crystallised our thinking about this, if we're going to do it at all.
We would send out only 9cm pots in spring or autumn. This would mean
more plants and lighter parcels and also that plants wouldn't be
travelling in the hottest (we hope!) parts of the year. It has
surprised us that we get fairly frequent enquiries from abroad. I say
'surprised us' because given the climate in e.g. Majorca and other much
warmer places, it's amazing that some of the things we grow aren't
being supplied by Nurseries in those countries. Some years ago, we even
had a garden designer from Madeira buying things here which were
supposedly native there but which he couldn't find there!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

David Hill 15-10-2013 05:32 PM

OT - sort of

wrote:

[...]

I've had a few deliveries by DPD in the last few months, very impressed,
first class tracking service and you can track your delivery right to
your door,
They give a local map showing where the van is and how many deliveries
before yours, estimated delivery time and so far they have bee right to
within 5 mins, twice early.
They seem to do a good European service and their price seems
competitive. Worth contacting them.
David

Baz[_3_] 15-10-2013 05:38 PM

OT - sort of

sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-10-15 11:42:21 +0000, Baz said:

[...]

So then you CAN do it, but it is the weight? And the £ that go with it?
I don't know if a person or company can supply, and be profitable in those
circumstances. I know that it costs me an arm and a leg.

Is there a deal you can do?

Baz

rbel[_2_] 15-10-2013 07:23 PM

OT - sort of

wrote:

We're looking for a reliable courier who would deliver plants within
the EU. Many refuse to handle plants because of all the risks involved
with damage or delay. If anyone happens to know of such a company I'd
be very glad to hear of it. will get
emails to me.

Please use Royal Mail. They may not be terribly reliable but any
support for the business will, I am sure, be appreciated by
shareholders everywhere.
--
rbel

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 15-10-2013 08:47 PM

OT - sort of

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:35:22 +0100, Mike wrote:

All very well touting for trade in the EU, but will you be accepting
Euros and how will the business transaction take place?

Easy enough to have a bank account in euros, transfer to GBP when the
price is right if you need to.

I'm wondering about any regulations regarding the export/import of
live plant material and soil etc. Or is any thought of pest/disease
control against "free trade" and thus sacrificed on the alter of the
all powerful god, MONEY.

--
Cheers
Dave.

'Mike'[_4_] 15-10-2013 09:10 PM

OT - sort of

Dave do you have the Euro Bank account overseas and transfer to the UK as
and when, or can you have a Euro Bank account here?

Got something in mind for next year and the idea of Europe as a market
hadn't occurred to me.

Only got the idea when I saw Sacha advertised that she was doing mail order
into the EU. Mine is an easier product to dispatch :-)

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

ll.co.uk...

Phil Gurr 15-10-2013 10:16 PM

OT - sort of

"Jake" wrote in message
On 15 Oct 2013 16:18:56 GMT, Emery Davis
wrote:

Above all steer clear of DHL, I have worked with them on and off for many
years and they are absolutely the worst. I had a DHL package from the
states recently for which I paid about $50, it took over a month and they
didn't even try to deliver, just left a message on the answering machine
eventually.

Such is life. I've used DHL for both outbound and inbound (where I
arranged for them to collect from Germany and deliver to me in UK).
Never a problem and in all cases collection to delivery was no more
than 2 days.

Try living here, it takes DHL 3 DAYS to get a parcel to me from
Inverness, but of course that is 41 miles!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

'Mike'[_4_] 15-10-2013 10:21 PM

OT - sort of

Phil, it took the Royal Navy five days to get me from Rosyth to Durness!!
Train to Lairg then 'the daily bus' to Durness.

Fantastic scenery and well worth the trip.

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Sacha[_11_] 16-10-2013 10:23 AM

OT - sort of

On 2013-10-15 17:38:28 +0100, Baz said:

sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-10-15 11:42:21 +0000, Baz said:

[...]

As far as I can see, all couriers including the PO, eforce size limits
and weight limits, though they do vary. Our situation - if we send out
more mature plants - is that they're up to 1m in neight but must weight
below 25kg (iirc) which isn't a weight we're every going to get to in
one box which will usually contain up to 5 plants, sometimes 6. If you
stick within the parameters the courier we use has a flat rate. The PO
calculates by volume and weight for each indvidual parcel, I believe.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_11_] 16-10-2013 10:28 AM

OT - sort of

On 2013-10-15 17:27:53 +0100, Jake said:

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 16:07:46 +0100, sacha wrote:

Some years ago, we even
had a garden designer from Madeira buying things here which were
supposedly native there but which he couldn't find there!

Try and find a copy of Russell Page's "Education of a Gardener" (out
of print but often a couple of quid on Amazon Marketplace). He talks
about having to venture far afield when designing gardens around the
Mediterranean because local growers only grew a couple of varieties
which the "more common" locals would buy.

Think how much effort we need to make to find that just slightly
unusual summer bedding plant - places which stopped selling Walleriana
6-packs replaced them on the shelves with Begonia 6-packs, not New
Guinea 6-packs - round here at least you can only but NGs in garden
centres as large plants for £5+ each.

Interesting, Jake, I'll pass that on to The Bosses. But it seems to me
that this whole business is a bit like supermarkets moving into an
area, causing smaller family-run businesses to close down. The
erstwhile customers of those butchers, greengrocers and bakers then
have no choice but to buy what the supermarket has for sale.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_11_] 16-10-2013 10:29 AM

OT - sort of

wrote:

[...]

Thanks David. I'll see what they have to say.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_11_] 16-10-2013 10:29 AM

OT - sort of

wrote:

We're looking for a reliable courier who would deliver plants within
the EU. Many refuse to handle plants because of all the risks involved
with damage or delay. If anyone happens to know of such a company I'd
be very glad to hear of it. will get
emails to me.

Please use Royal Mail. They may not be terribly reliable but any
support for the business will, I am sure, be appreciated by
shareholders everywhere.

;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

S Viemeister[_2_] 16-10-2013 03:07 PM

OT - sort of

On 10/15/2013 10:16 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

Try living here, it takes DHL 3 DAYS to get a parcel to me from
Inverness, but of course that is 41 miles!

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday - TNT delivered an order from
Staples, which I had placed the previous afternoon - and I'm even
farther north than you are!

Phil Gurr 16-10-2013 03:34 PM

OT - sort of

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 10/15/2013 10:16 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

Try living here, it takes DHL 3 DAYS to get a parcel to me from
Inverness, but of course that is 41 miles!

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday - TNT delivered an order from Staples,
which I had placed the previous afternoon - and I'm even farther north
than you are!

Ah, but TNT don't have an intermediate depot at Tain!

Phil

S Viemeister[_2_] 16-10-2013 05:56 PM

OT - sort of

On 10/16/2013 3:34 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:
"S wrote
On 10/15/2013 10:16 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

Try living here, it takes DHL 3 DAYS to get a parcel to me from
Inverness, but of course that is 41 miles!

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday - TNT delivered an order from Staples,
which I had placed the previous afternoon - and I'm even farther north
than you are!

Ah, but TNT don't have an intermediate depot at Tain!

Ah. I didn't know that.

sacha 17-10-2013 01:44 PM

OT - sort of

On 2013-10-15 19:47:59 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:
snip

I'm wondering about any regulations regarding the export/import of
live plant material and soil etc. Or is any thought of pest/disease
control against "free trade" and thus sacrificed on the alter of the
all powerful god, MONEY.

Seriously? Are you really unaware of the enormous amount of big
business that already exists in the import of live plants into UK?
Numerous wholesale nurseries in UK make a living out of selling on
stock that has been imported from within the EU. Some gcs or nurseries
mark plants as raised in UK which have in fact been propagated abroad
in vast quantities, brought into UK and then potted on. This trade has
arisen partly because the industry here has received so little support
in terms of e.g. oil prices that it simply doesn't pay to do everything
from scratch in UK for the huge garden centre chains. There is now a
growing movement towards buying British propagated and raised plants
where ever possible and this trend is even stronger in the cut flower
and bulb trade.

There is free movement of live plants within the EU with some
exceptions for things such as potatoes, which might be subject to
certification from the PHSI. Things brought in from outside EU (except
small amounts for your own garden) require a Phytosanitary Certificate.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

News[_2_] 17-10-2013 02:50 PM

OT - sort of

On 17/10/2013 13:44, sacha wrote:
Some gcs or nurseries mark plants as
raised in UK which have in fact been propagated abroad in vast
quantities, brought into UK and then potted on.

A disgraceful and misleading practice - and one that a lot of the large
food providers also pull:(

This trade has arisen
partly because the industry here has received so little support in terms
of e.g. oil prices that it simply doesn't pay to do everything from
scratch in UK for the huge garden centre chains.

Why should they receive any assistance - and from where? Wouldn't it be
an illegal subsidy?

--
regards
andy

Janet 17-10-2013 03:09 PM

OT - sort of

In article ,
says...

On 17/10/2013 13:44, sacha wrote:
Some gcs or nurseries mark plants as
raised in UK which have in fact been propagated abroad in vast
quantities, brought into UK and then potted on.

A disgraceful and misleading practice - and one that a lot of the large
food providers also pull:(

and then GC's who can't turn a profit from deceiving the customer,
have the nerve to blame their business problems on TV presenters?

Janet

sacha 17-10-2013 05:32 PM

OT - sort of

On 2013-10-17 13:50:23 +0000, News said:

On 17/10/2013 13:44, sacha wrote:
Some gcs or nurseries mark plants as
raised in UK which have in fact been propagated abroad in vast
quantities, brought into UK and then potted on.

A disgraceful and misleading practice - and one that a lot of the large
food providers also pull:(

Except that nobody is eating their paeonies that we know of and that I
don't think we've known of one customer ask the provenance of a plant.
Equally, we don't label them misleadingly but we DO know of someone
selling organic herbs as "potted in UK". Guess where they were
propagated. Caveat emptor.

This trade has arisen
partly because the industry here has received so little support in terms
of e.g. oil prices that it simply doesn't pay to do everything from
scratch in UK for the huge garden centre chains.

Why should they receive any assistance - and from where? Wouldn't it
be an illegal subsidy?

No more than any assistance given to e.g. French farmers. Since the
war, when we needed to produce great amounts of our own food,
horticulture has become a bit of a Cinderella industry in those terms.
It's a question of economics and keeping people in work and there's a
good deal of discussion in the trade press and elsewhere about
interesting young people in it as a career. The Dutch have done a lot
to help their horticultural industry, aiui, so many plants currently
coming into UK come from there. Our local tiny flower shop is often
seen with a huge Dutch artic outside, delivering cut flowers, for
example.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

sacha 17-10-2013 05:33 PM

OT - sort of

On 2013-10-17 14:09:33 +0000, Janet said:

In article ,
says...

On 17/10/2013 13:44, sacha wrote:
Some gcs or nurseries mark plants as
raised in UK which have in fact been propagated abroad in vast
quantities, brought into UK and then potted on.

A disgraceful and misleading practice - and one that a lot of the large
food providers also pull:(

and then GC's who can't turn a profit from deceiving the customer,
have the nerve to blame their business problems on TV presenters?

Janet

Who has done that?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

News[_2_] 18-10-2013 10:17 AM

OT - sort of

On 17/10/2013 17:32, sacha wrote:

Why should they receive any assistance - and from where? Wouldn't it
be an illegal subsidy?

No more than any assistance given to e.g. French farmers. Since the
war, when we needed to produce great amounts of our own food,
horticulture has become a bit of a Cinderella industry in those terms.
It's a question of economics and keeping people in work and there's a
good deal of discussion in the trade press and elsewhere about
interesting young people in it as a career. The Dutch have done a lot
to help their horticultural industry, aiui, so many plants currently
coming into UK come from there. Our local tiny flower shop is often seen
with a huge Dutch artic outside, delivering cut flowers, for example.

Likewise here - there is often a big red Dutch artic blocking traffic on
the way to work:(

But maybe they are better at doing it/have better conditions, etc. (I
know nothing about what non-horticultural industry support they might
have had).

Same argument might apply, e.g., to the car industry.

[Thread drift alert]
At least the horticultural industry isn't mainly owned by non-UK
companies. How on earth have we got to the stage where something like
power can be virtually controlled by an overseas compay. I thought it
was always seen as an 'essential' that one wouldn't want to be in
external control.

But as you might have gathered, I'm not a fan of privatisation - the
recent decision to enrich a few at the expense of the many is another
outrageous step imo.

--
regards
Andy

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 18-10-2013 10:49 AM

OT - sort of

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Some GCs make no secret that some of their plants are imported from
The Netherlands. Large articulated Dutch trucks are hard to hide when
making deliveries. If asked the staff are quite open about the source
of their plants. Roger's Plants even recommended a Dutch bulb grower,
which is local to us

One can reasonably argue that Holland is more local to the south
east than much of the UK is :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

S Viemeister[_2_] 18-10-2013 07:57 PM

OT - sort of

On 10/16/2013 3:07 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/15/2013 10:16 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

Try living here, it takes DHL 3 DAYS to get a parcel to me from
Inverness, but of course that is 41 miles!

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday - TNT delivered an order from
Staples, which I had placed the previous afternoon - and I'm even
farther north than you are!

Well, it was too good to last. Order placed yesterday, email this
morning saying it had left Inverness and was out for delivery. Checked
TNT website after dinner, as box had not yet arrived - instead of
delivery info it said 'call'. I did - agent said the account was marked
'attempted delivery, recipient not at home' (or words to that effect). I
was home ALL DAY.
If I call first thing Monday, I _might_ be able to arrange delivery for
Tuesday...

Phil Gurr 18-10-2013 08:17 PM

OT - sort of

[...]

One of the major problems of living north of Inverness is that the
overnight parcel artics arrive in the city at around 0800 and all
the local carriers leave for their days deliveries at 0730. That is
if your parcel actually comes to Inverness, I have had many parcels
sent to Aberdeen because it's "quite close". I wonder how Londoners
would feel if all their parcels were sent to Exeter - about the same
distance from me as Aberdeen. Have also learnt never to include
the county of Sutherland in the address as all these parcels end
up in Sunderland!

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 18-10-2013 08:26 PM

OT - sort of

In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:

One of the major problems of living north of Inverness is that the
overnight parcel artics arrive in the city at around 0800 and all
the local carriers leave for their days deliveries at 0730. That is
if your parcel actually comes to Inverness, I have had many parcels
sent to Aberdeen because it's "quite close". I wonder how Londoners
would feel if all their parcels were sent to Exeter - about the same
distance from me as Aberdeen. Have also learnt never to include
the county of Sutherland in the address as all these parcels end
up in Sunderland!

That's almost there, so obviously you can just nip down and get it,
can't you? :-)

On the new, wonderful, nausea-inducing BBC weather map, it is
indeed quite close.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

S Viemeister[_2_] 18-10-2013 08:29 PM

OT - sort of

On 10/18/2013 8:17 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

One of the major problems of living north of Inverness is that the
overnight parcel artics arrive in the city at around 0800 and all
the local carriers leave for their days deliveries at 0730. That is
if your parcel actually comes to Inverness, I have had many parcels
sent to Aberdeen because it's "quite close". I wonder how Londoners
would feel if all their parcels were sent to Exeter - about the same
distance from me as Aberdeen. Have also learnt never to include
the county of Sutherland in the address as all these parcels end
up in Sunderland!

Yes, I've had stuff go via Sunderland, too! They seem to ignore the
postcode.

David Hill 18-10-2013 09:56 PM

OT - sort of

On 18/10/2013 20:29, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/18/2013 8:17 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

One of the major problems of living north of Inverness is that the
overnight parcel artics arrive in the city at around 0800 and all
the local carriers leave for their days deliveries at 0730. That is
if your parcel actually comes to Inverness, I have had many parcels
sent to Aberdeen because it's "quite close". I wonder how Londoners
would feel if all their parcels were sent to Exeter - about the same
distance from me as Aberdeen. Have also learnt never to include
the county of Sutherland in the address as all these parcels end
up in Sunderland!

Yes, I've had stuff go via Sunderland, too! They seem to ignore the
postcode.

Reminds me of a delivery I had a few years ago, I phoned to find out
where it had got to as it had been sent 5 days earlier, "Oh! We saw
Nurseries on the address and thought that as it's half term there
wouldn't be anyone there."
Duh!

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 19-10-2013 08:49 AM

OT - sort of

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 19:57:01 +0100, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 10/16/2013 3:07 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/15/2013 10:16 PM, Phil Gurr wrote:

Try living here, it takes DHL 3 DAYS to get a parcel to me from
Inverness, but of course that is 41 miles!

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday - TNT delivered an order from
Staples, which I had placed the previous afternoon - and I'm even
farther north than you are!

Well, it was too good to last. Order placed yesterday, email this
morning saying it had left Inverness and was out for delivery. Checked
TNT website after dinner, as box had not yet arrived - instead of
delivery info it said 'call'. I did - agent said the account was marked
'attempted delivery, recipient not at home' (or words to that effect). I
was home ALL DAY.

We've had this problem frequently.

The delivery men are paid for each delivery or attempted delivery.

If I call first thing Monday, I _might_ be able to arrange delivery for
Tuesday...

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Which is why putting leaving instruction on a parcel is such a good idea, as
that way when they try this they have to pay up if they don't leave it the
first time. I know sometimes there is nowhere to leave stuff safely but if
it can be, it stops them saying they have "Carded" you when in fact they
have been nowhere near and were just trying to save time, and don't think I
am having a go at the drivers, sometimes when I see what they are expected
to do in the time I am amazed how well they cope.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Tom Gardner[_2_] 19-10-2013 09:13 AM

OT - sort of

On 18/10/13 22:18, Martin wrote:
The delivery men are paid for each delivery or attempted delivery.

My variant of this problem is that a similarly
named road (that's only been there for 80m years)
isn't on many satnavs. (Yes I have submitted multiple
error reports). The consequence is that I often get
deliveries for the other address.

The incidence has been significantly reduced (but
not eliminated) by my suggesting that the other
house adds an extra field to their address stating
"opposite the supermarket".

The worst mis-delivery was roof height scaffolding;
the scaffolding company was apologetic but not amused!

Phil Cook 19-10-2013 02:59 PM

OT - sort of

On 19/10/2013 09:14, Martin wrote:

In the days when there were still post offices here, we had a note
pushed through the door saying that it was the third attempt to
deliver and that the packet would be kept at the local post office for
so many days before being returned to sender. When my wife phoned the
post office to complain that we had been in when the note was pushed
through the door and that it was the first note we had seen, a woman
from the post office turned up in the evening in her own time to give
us the two missing notes, but not the packet. Since privatisation of
the mail here things have got a lot worse.

In just a week? Or do you mean the random parcels company that is
being used this time by your supplier. Doh! Forgotted you is Dutchish.

TNT are delaying and losing folks post here in populous areas of
Blighty now. They don't have sorting frames with every delivery point
on them and if they can't get in to a block of flats or there is too
much of it the post is sent to Royal Mail to deliver.
--
Phil Cook

David Hill 19-10-2013 10:41 PM

OT - sort of

On 19/10/2013 22:01, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 14:59:42 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

On 19/10/2013 09:14, Martin wrote:

In the days when there were still post offices here, we had a note
pushed through the door saying that it was the third attempt to
deliver and that the packet would be kept at the local post office for
so many days before being returned to sender. When my wife phoned the
post office to complain that we had been in when the note was pushed
through the door and that it was the first note we had seen, a woman
from the post office turned up in the evening in her own time to give
us the two missing notes, but not the packet. Since privatisation of
the mail here things have got a lot worse.

In just a week? Or do you mean the random parcels company that is
being used this time by your supplier. Doh! Forgotted you is Dutchish.

I am not a bit Dutchish.

TNT are delaying and losing folks post here in populous areas of
Blighty now. They don't have sorting frames with every delivery point
on them and if they can't get in to a block of flats or there is too
much of it the post is sent to Royal Mail to deliver.

TNT is part of the privatised remains of what was once Royal Mail
Netherlands. It is the successful part that still makes a profit.

When it comes to delivery "TNT isn't Dynamite"