Old 18-10-2013, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Projecting plant pictures

I need to change to digital projection, I occasionally give talks to garden
clubs and have a slide projector but have found it increasingly difficult to
get hold of the slide film so last year bought a DSLR camera, very pleased
with the pictures but at present I can't use them!

So as I am not Alan Titchmarsh and don't charge a huge amount to give talks
I was looking at something like the Epson EB S02H which seems to retail at
around the 240-250 mark but the spare bulbs are 140 ish and I wouldn't be
happy not having a spare. (Why are the bulbs so much more for these
projectors compared with slide ones?)

While looking at all that I noticed a LED-33 projector for just 130 which
claims 25000 hours bulb life?

My question is, does anyone here use the cheaper LED projectors and is the
picture quality OK? (ie does it compare with an old fashioned slide
projector)

I suppose I normally project onto a 5' square screen and can chose the
distance, normally evenings so I don't need to project in bright light

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 18-10-2013, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

I need to change to digital projection, I occasionally give talks to garden
clubs and have a slide projector but have found it increasingly difficult to
get hold of the slide film so last year bought a DSLR camera, very pleased
with the pictures but at present I can't use them!

So as I am not Alan Titchmarsh and don't charge a huge amount to give talks
I was looking at something like the Epson EB S02H which seems to retail at
around the 240-250 mark but the spare bulbs are 140 ish and I wouldn't be
happy not having a spare. (Why are the bulbs so much more for these
projectors compared with slide ones?)

Because of the modern attitude of many people and, more importantly,
Bureaucrats. They demand the cheapest and, unless the technical
people have managed to hold onto medium-senior positions (increasingly
rare) and are prepared to cause waves (even rarer), that's what they
get. So the companies quite rationally discount the product and,
when they have the buyer over a barrel, wield the broomstick with
vigour. In IT, that model was led by HP with its printers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-10-2013, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message ...

[...]

.................................................. .................................................. .......

Charlie I do a lot of illustrated talks to a lot of groups and that list is
growing like mad on recommendations. For example I have already taken
bookings up to September next year! The projector I use is an Acer X1110 DLP
and I am fully satisfied with it. I gave a talk to a Business Men's
Breakfast Group a couple of months ago at their morning meeting in a very
light environment, (The Old Rex Cinema new Cafe in Ventnor for those urglers
on the Isle of Wight) and had no real problem with the projection.

Many of my talks are given in the afternoon and some in the evening. Never a
problem.

As a matter of interest Charlie do you advertise your talks? I don't, but I
do have a leaflet giving details and I find Group Organisers find this
useful when looking for speakers.

I purchased the projector from Argos if you are interested Charlie.

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 18-10-2013, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

I need to change to digital projection, I occasionally give talks to garden
clubs and have a slide projector but have found it increasingly difficult to
get hold of the slide film so last year bought a DSLR camera, very pleased
with the pictures but at present I can't use them!

Grrk. I have just looked around, as I have some interest in these,
and the situation is not good, LED or no. The problem is that the
resolution on the cheaper ones is dire. Anything below 1000 pixels
vertically will not show much detail, and even that is considerably
below the resolution of even a mid-range amateur camera nowadays.
For example, the Epson EB-S02H is 800x600. Sorry :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
While looking at all that I noticed a LED-33 projector for just 130 which
claims 25000 hours bulb life?
I have purchased a number of LED light bulbs which claimed similar lives. But several of them didn't last very long, 100-300 hrs in practice. I suspect it wasn't the LEDs themselves that failed, but rather the other parts of it. So I expect that your projector will die long before its bulb in this case. Or the bulb might die, but not due to the fault of the LEDs.

On a similar theme, I also have had trouble with getting anything like the advertised life out of CFL spotlight bulbs. On reading the small print on a replacement I purchased, I read that they aren't suitable for putting in recessed and other enclosed fittings, which of course are just the kind of fittings you need spot bulbs for.

Old 18-10-2013, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/2013 08:42, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I need to change to digital projection, I occasionally give talks to
garden clubs and have a slide projector but have found it increasingly
difficult to get hold of the slide film so last year bought a DSLR
camera, very pleased with the pictures but at present I can't use them!

You can get digital to slide done professionally for a (high) price.

So as I am not Alan Titchmarsh and don't charge a huge amount to give
talks I was looking at something like the Epson EB S02H which seems to
retail at around the 240-250 mark but the spare bulbs are 140 ish and I
wouldn't be happy not having a spare. (Why are the bulbs so much more
for these projectors compared with slide ones?)

You may find that some of the better gardening clubs and venues have
their own digital projectors (although spare bulbs are another thing).
It is often cheaper and better to replace the projector with the next
generation higher resolution one when the bulb blows up. By then the
cost of the replacement bulb and an entire new projector are comparable!

The BCSS branch I belong to has its own HD digital projector and a
laptop for speakers to use with calibrated colour. Our village hall has
a lesser grade DLP one 720p rather than 1080p bought second hand. It
isn't kept in the hall except when being used for obvious reasons.

BTW pay attention to the fan noise rating (typically in economy mode) if
you are going to be talking over it as opposed to playing movies. I have
known some when on full brightness that sound like a hair drier!

While looking at all that I noticed a LED-33 projector for just 130
which claims 25000 hours bulb life?

LEDs last longer but are IME mostly not as bright (yet). In a darkened
room you might get away with it there are some that would be cheaper
than a normal projector and a spare lamp. No experience of this one but
would be interested if anyone has seen it in use (or an independent review):

http://www.projectorsite.co.uk/index...=133&parent=26

£370 for a native 1280x800 display @ 2600lumens noise 30dB

I'd aim for full HD 1080p if buying new these days.

My question is, does anyone here use the cheaper LED projectors and is
the picture quality OK? (ie does it compare with an old fashioned slide
projector)

I suppose I normally project onto a 5' square screen and can chose the
distance, normally evenings so I don't need to project in bright light

The other thing to look out for is local voluntary groups who can make
projectors & OHPs available to hire/borrow for educational talks.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-10-2013, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message ...

On a similar theme, I also have had trouble with getting anything like
the advertised life out of CFL spotlight bulbs. On reading the small
print on a replacement I purchased, I read that they aren't suitable for
putting in recessed and other enclosed fittings, which of course are
just the kind of fittings you need spot bulbs for.

--
echinosum

Perhaps - but only if adequately ventilated - in the most powerful of
situations
a fan is necessary . If used in an open bare lamp situation it produces its
own ventiation.

Pete

Old 19-10-2013, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks for all the replies, I have decided to go for something fairly
modest price wise on the grounds that a lot of the bigger clubs do seem to
have their own kit, so I just need something here to practice with! and that
should help with the bulb life (using someone else's!!)

I also think I have found somewhere I can go see some projected images
(mine) on various projectors which should show me just how much resolution
or lack of it I can put up with.

Old 19-10-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

I also think I have found somewhere I can go see some projected images
(mine) on various projectors which should show me just how much resolution
or lack of it I can put up with.

I should be interested to hear your conclusions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-10-2013, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Unfortunately digeital projectors are quite expensive, so are the
replacement bulbs.

I bit the bullet and bought an "InFocus" projector. I think in hindsite, I
didn't need the quality model I bought. It has given good service over the
last 5 or 6 years.

Google InFocus and see what model suite you needs.

The chairman of our gardening club approached PC World and bought a
projector (InFocus), stand and screen as a "small business" arrangement and
saved quite bit.

Bill

Old 20-10-2013, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The chairman of our gardening club approached PC World and bought a
projector (InFocus), stand and screen as a "small business" arrangement and
saved quite bit.

Our Computer Club did the same, applying as a 'business' (on the
recommendation of the shop Assistant ) saved enough to pay for a stand
and carry case.
Previous to that we used to 'borrow' a projector for free from our
local council, who had quite a lot of equipment, free to use, for any
Club, but the facility was not well advertised.

-
-
-
Lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

(Any Olympic GameMakers here?)
Old 20-10-2013, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/10/2013 12:12, Derek wrote:

The chairman of our gardening club approached PC World and bought a
projector (InFocus), stand and screen as a "small business" arrangement and
saved quite bit.

Our Computer Club did the same, applying as a 'business' (on the
recommendation of the shop Assistant ) saved enough to pay for a stand
and carry case.
Previous to that we used to 'borrow' a projector for free from our
local council, who had quite a lot of equipment, free to use, for any
Club, but the facility was not well advertised.

I remember when I was a youngster Hastings council used to lend out 16mm
projectors to clubs and they ran training courses in how to use them,
but that was in the late 50's early 60's.

Old 21-10-2013, 09:42 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar
Registered User

Location: USA

[...]

ROSELAND HOUSE GARDEN & NURSERY

I am waiting for your latest new one.
Old 21-10-2013, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2013 17:54, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 18/10/2013 08:42, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I need to change to digital projection, I occasionally give talks to
garden clubs and have a slide projector but have found it increasingly
difficult to get hold of the slide film so last year bought a DSLR
camera, very pleased with the pictures but at present I can't use them!

[snip]

[...]

The other thing it is worth treating yourself to is a combined magic
dongle and laser pointer that makes next slide and previous slide easy.
It is a big improvement on saying "next slide please" all the time.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 720p these days. Also check the
performance on the sort of material you intend to project. They will all
do skin tones really well but some may be a bit vague usually along the
line of purples where many flowers are clustered.

No conventional colour film could reproduce the true saturated
purple/magenta colour of Notocactus Ubemannianus flowers reliably.
Digital is better but they still dump residuals in the line of purples
so as to get critical flesh tones optimal. The eye is very sensitive to
abnormal flesh tones or colour casts which may indicate disease.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 23-10-2013, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/2013 08:42, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I need to change to digital projection, I occasionally give talks to
garden clubs and have a slide projector but have found it increasingly
difficult to get hold of the slide film so last year bought a DSLR
camera, very pleased with the pictures but at present I can't use them!

I make no claims as to how good they are (and I don't know what you
consider cheap) but this might be worth a look?

This one is around £650 but there are some cheaper alternatives available

http://tinyurl.com/acerprojector
(goes to ebuyer site)

--
regards