GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oh for some cold nights (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208571-oh-some-cold-nights.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 20-10-2013 12:20 PM

Oh for some cold nights

I am inundated with green caterpillars on my greens,
swedes, purple sprouting etc. I am fed up with bending
over oicking the things off and dropping them into a
jar of water.

Not wanting to spray, is there any other (easier)
sloution?

Or shall I just hope for a couple of really frosty
nights.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] 20-10-2013 12:51 PM

Oh for some cold nights

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 12:20:07 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

I am inundated with green caterpillars on my greens,
swedes, purple sprouting etc. I am fed up with bending
over oicking the things off and dropping them into a
jar of water.

Not wanting to spray, is there any other (easier)
sloution?

Or shall I just hope for a couple of really frosty
nights.

I have not seen many green caterpillars this year but I'm not sure
why. Steinernema carpocapsae seems to be the natural way to kill the
caterpillars so I may have some of them hidden under the leaves. I'll
try not to eat any!

Steve

Gary Woods 20-10-2013 03:35 PM

Oh for some cold nights

Roger Tonkin wrote:

Not wanting to spray, is there any other (easier)
sloution?

Are you opposed to biological controls? Bacillus Thurigensis AKA BT works
well on the cabbage worms, though they don't curl up and die instantly.
Full disclosu I'm in the Northeastern U.S., and we've only had a very
light frost so far, but the cabbage worms seem gone from the scene.

Bob Hobden 20-10-2013 06:51 PM

Oh for some cold nights

"Gary Woods" wrote

Roger Tonkin wrote:

Not wanting to spray, is there any other (easier)
sloution?

Are you opposed to biological controls? Bacillus Thurigensis AKA BT works
well on the cabbage worms, though they don't curl up and die instantly.
Full disclosu I'm in the Northeastern U.S., and we've only had a very
light frost so far, but the cabbage worms seem gone from the scene.

Whilst I still have some of that in the shed I'm not sure it's available
here any more. Not seen it for a few years. Basically there isn't much to do
much left on our shelves, because the Government demand full testing costing
a great deal of money so it's not worth it for a few gardeners.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Broadback[_3_] 21-10-2013 11:25 AM

Oh for some cold nights

On 20/10/2013 18:51, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Gary Woods" wrote

Roger Tonkin wrote:

Not wanting to spray, is there any other (easier)
sloution?

Are you opposed to biological controls? Bacillus Thurigensis AKA BT
works
well on the cabbage worms, though they don't curl up and die instantly.
Full disclosu I'm in the Northeastern U.S., and we've only had a very
light frost so far, but the cabbage worms seem gone from the scene.

Whilst I still have some of that in the shed I'm not sure it's available
here any more. Not seen it for a few years. Basically there isn't much
to do much left on our shelves, because the Government demand full
testing costing a great deal of money so it's not worth it for a few
gardeners.

Wanting some cold nights? As the Chinese say, "be careful for what you wish"

Baz[_3_] 21-10-2013 02:45 PM

Oh for some cold nights

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

I am inundated with green caterpillars on my greens,
swedes, purple sprouting etc. I am fed up with bending
over oicking the things off and dropping them into a
jar of water.

Not wanting to spray, is there any other (easier)
sloution?

Or shall I just hope for a couple of really frosty
nights.

Netting will stop them, well it will stop the flutterbyes laying eggs.
Too late now, but next year.

Baz