Old 24-10-2013, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis from Taylors?

Not tried them before. Are they OK?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 24-10-2013, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
Not tried them before. Are they OK?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

As growers of Clematis they have a good reputation, what they are like as a
mail order operation hopefully someone else will tell you as I have never
bought from them.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 24-10-2013, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/13 16:13, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
Not tried them before. Are they OK?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

As growers of Clematis they have a good reputation, what they are like
as a mail order operation hopefully someone else will tell you as I have
never bought from them.

Charlie, thanks for that. It was their reputation as growers that I was
after. The mail order bit I can risk.

Hugh

Old 24-10-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-24 21:38:38 +0100, Martin said:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:56:41 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

On 24/10/13 16:13, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
Not tried them before. Are they OK?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

As growers of Clematis they have a good reputation, what they are like
as a mail order operation hopefully someone else will tell you as I have
never bought from them.

Charlie, thanks for that. It was their reputation as growers that I was
after. The mail order bit I can risk.

Charlie has a good reputation.

Excellent, in fact.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-10-2013, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 24/10/13 16:13, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
Not tried them before. Are they OK?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

As growers of Clematis they have a good reputation, what they are like
as a mail order operation hopefully someone else will tell you as I
have
never bought from them.

Charlie, thanks for that. It was their reputation as growers that I was
after. The mail order bit I can risk.

Charlie has a good reputation.

Excellent, in fact.

Much better than me, I'm sure. I have a lovely gardening lady who deals
with the technical stuff.

BTW, I've ordered 2 clems. The website is efficient, easy to choose what
you want, paying is simple, and you can choose the day (Tues-Fri) you
want the delivery.

I'll report back next Wed on that.

Thanks all

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 25-10-2013, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/13 09:01, Martin wrote:

Charlie grows and sells Clematis.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/index.htm

I had no idea. But I've just had a look and he doesn't stock the 2 I wanted.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 25-10-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/13 10:34, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:38:31 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

On 25/10/13 09:01, Martin wrote:

Charlie grows and sells Clematis.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/index.htm

I had no idea.

Charlie is too modest.

But I've just had a look and he doesn't stock the 2 I wanted.

So you are off the hook :-)

The reason I didn't know about Charlie is that Steph is a member of the
RHS and looked up the 2 clems we wanted, and Charlie's place was not on
the list she gave me. In fact there were only 2 sites in the UK that had
them both: the other had sold out of both, so Taylors was the sole winner.

HTH

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 25-10-2013, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 25/10/13 09:01, Martin wrote:

Charlie grows and sells Clematis.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/index.htm

I had no idea.

Charlie is too modest.

But I've just had a look and he doesn't stock the 2 I wanted.

So you are off the hook :-)

The reason I didn't know about Charlie is that Steph is a member of the
RHS and looked up the 2 clems we wanted, and Charlie's place was not on
the list she gave me. In fact there were only 2 sites in the UK that
had them both: the other had sold out of both, so Taylors was the sole
winner.

HTH

Hugh

Which did you get, Hugh? We got one called Lambton Park from Charlie
and it's one I've recommended to many people. It flowers prolifically
and even now is covered in a mass of fluffy seed heads and that
prolongs its 'usefulness' greatly. If you have room for another
Clematis, I recommend it highly.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-10-2013, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/13 11:08, Sacha wrote:

Which did you get, Hugh? We got one called Lambton Park from Charlie and
it's one I've recommended to many people. It flowers prolifically and
even now is covered in a mass of fluffy seed heads and that prolongs its
'usefulness' greatly. If you have room for another Clematis, I
recommend it highly.

Sacha, I've bought Flammula and Jouiniana Praecox. I might try your
(Charlie's) Lambton Park next time. Thanks anyway for the idea.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 25-10-2013, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 16:08:45 +0000, Hugh Newbury said:

On 25/10/13 11:08, Sacha wrote:

Which did you get, Hugh? We got one called Lambton Park from Charlie and
it's one I've recommended to many people. It flowers prolifically and
even now is covered in a mass of fluffy seed heads and that prolongs its
'usefulness' greatly. If you have room for another Clematis, I
recommend it highly.

Sacha, I've bought Flammula and Jouiniana Praecox. I might try your
(Charlie's) Lambton Park next time. Thanks anyway for the idea.

Hugh

C. flammula is *lovely*. We lost our pergola grown one to too much wet
but it's a beautiful Clematis. I don't know the other at all, so I'll
look it up.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-10-2013, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 16:08:45 +0000, Hugh Newbury said:

On 25/10/13 11:08, Sacha wrote:

Which did you get, Hugh? We got one called Lambton Park from Charlie and
it's one I've recommended to many people. It flowers prolifically and
even now is covered in a mass of fluffy seed heads and that prolongs its
'usefulness' greatly. If you have room for another Clematis, I
recommend it highly.

Sacha, I've bought Flammula and Jouiniana Praecox. I might try your
(Charlie's) Lambton Park next time. Thanks anyway for the idea.

Hugh

C. flammula is *lovely*. We lost our pergola grown one to too much wet but
it's a beautiful Clematis. I don't know the other at all, so I'll look it
up.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Its a lovely thug
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89219640@N04/9675746535/

Old 26-10-2013, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 16:08:45 +0000, Hugh Newbury said:

On 25/10/13 11:08, Sacha wrote:

[...]

Ah - not sure we need a 'thug'! Charlie, will you cut your C.
rehderianas back this year? Ours took so long to grow after that cold
start and has flowered so shyly that I'm wondering if we should best
leave it alone this year? It's a big favourite of mine and I don't
want to risk losing it if it's better left to its own devices.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-10-2013, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 16:08:45 +0000, Hugh Newbury said:

On 25/10/13 11:08, Sacha wrote:

[...]

I tend to wait till spring with that one, when I see the first signs of
shoots, same as flammula cutting back only as far as I can see new growth
coming.

Old 26-10-2013, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 16:08:45 +0000, Hugh Newbury said:

On 25/10/13 11:08, Sacha wrote:

[...]

Lovely and very helpful, thank you. I first saw it at a friend's house
in Cornwall and he used to cut his back in autumn after flowering but
it was a huge brute of a thing!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com