Old 25-10-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trehane camellias (ping Sacha)

Went there yesterday. As you said, nice people and quality plants.
Thanks for the tip.

Couldn't resist the BOGOF on sasanquas - bought the variegata and
"Crimson King".

Not sure about them being "scented" though. It's not the term I would
use for for what is a most peculiar smell, although it is not strong.
The nearest I could describe it is as being like that which comes from
an old bruised apple, where the smell and flavour of the bruising taint
permeates the rest of the fruit.

Never mind, the flowers look great at this time of year!

--

Jeff
Old 25-10-2013, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 08:47:41 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

Went there yesterday. As you said, nice people and quality plants.
Thanks for the tip.

Couldn't resist the BOGOF on sasanquas - bought the variegata and
"Crimson King".

Not sure about them being "scented" though. It's not the term I would
use for for what is a most peculiar smell, although it is not strong.
The nearest I could describe it is as being like that which comes from
an old bruised apple, where the smell and flavour of the bruising taint
permeates the rest of the fruit.

Never mind, the flowers look great at this time of year!

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit there. I'd love her to come to this
garden and id some of the old varieties we have here but she was down
this way two years ago and I don't think she has any plans to give
talks near here.
I don't think any of the scented ones are very strong but they aren't
as you describe to my nose, at any rate! Perhaps it's that thing about
some people smelling cats' pee from Choisya and others not getting that
at all! I was looking at our Camellias yesterday and they're all
forming nice flower buds, which is a nice promise of things to come as
we progress towards winter.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-10-2013, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/2013 09:46, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-10-25 08:47:41 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Yes, taste and smell are frequently genetically determined, but even
then things may not be as straightforward as they appear at first sight:
http://udel.edu/~mcdonald/mythptc.html
(I can remember doing the PTC dilution test at Uni. I am a definite
"taster".)

I made a mistake about the other camellia - I just checked what we had
bought. We looked at "Crimson King", but eventually decided on C.
hiemalis "Bonanza", as the double flower had a little more going for it.
Now all I've got to do is find a suitable "hot spot" in the garden for
them!

--

Jeff
Old 25-10-2013, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 08:47:41 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

I don't know Bonanza so I looked it up - what a beauty! My ex pa in law
grew Clematis up and through some of his Camellias and as long as it's
not a variety that's too thuggish, it looks spectacular and adds
interest once the Camellia has stopped flowering. He liked Camellias a
lot but there's a danger of people in Devon & Cornwall getting
over-Camelliaed! I've always wanted to copy his Camellia Walk though
which looks spectacular when in flower - sadly it takes rather more
space than we have and it is definitely made more interesting by being
on a very steep slope, imo. Unfortunately this pic was taken in
November so little was happening then. But at the very bottom, Istr he
had Clematis Madame le Coultre growing through one of the shrubs but
that's the only one I can remember now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/10473017854/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-10-2013, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 10:15:44 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Impressive! Must look superb when in flower. But what else would you
expect on Jersey?
I wonder if Clematis alpina would look good through growing through
C.hiemalis "Bonanza"?

--

Jeff

Old 25-10-2013, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Whilst we are talking Camelias, did you manage to do anything with those
Madame de Strekaloff cuttings I sent you a few years back?

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-10-2013, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 10:15:44 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Charlie is the one to advise you on that. The idea is to have something
that won't smother the Camellia and take light from its leaves but
allow a certain 'use' to be made of it as a support for another plant.
The Camellia would have to be a bit mature though! Jersey is (mostly)
very fortunate in terms of climate but it's had a couple of hard
winters recently, whereas, when I lived there, one snowy winter (not
hard frost) in 5 years was more the norm. We did have one winter in
the 80s when snow accompanied by gales, so while you could see grass
poking through the snow on the fields and lawns, the lanes were filled
and impassable. The Camellia Walk is impressive in the photo because
firstly there's plenty of space for it so it's part of the garden and
not the focal point and also because it sort of 'sits' in the landscape
and one comes upon it by just walking around. I'm no good at all at
designing beds and borders because I want too many plants and muddle
myself, as a consequence. But in this particular garden, the origins
were empty fields, except for the bit right up beside the house front
and a walled garden, which was probably fruit and veg. For me, it's an
example of how thinking within the space available and not
over-cramming it does work on any scale.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-10-2013, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 17:57:57 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Jeff Layman said:

[...]

I'll check with Ray, Bob. I know he was annoyed that some cuttings he
had had failed miserably, so I hope these are not the same ones.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-10-2013, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-25 17:57:57 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Ray has just come in and I asked him about your cuttings, Bob.
Unhappily, the answer is no, they didn't take. He's take several from
C.Takanini that we have here in the garden and about 3 struck.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 07:28 AM
Ping Sacha Judith in France United Kingdom 3 17-05-2008 04:51 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 18 21-01-2008 05:07 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 3 16-10-2007 11:55 PM
Ping Sacha Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 26-05-2003 05:20 PM