Old 29-10-2013, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fig problem

"sacha" wrote in message
our tree, so may well have affected others. Otoh, and this is my two

pennorth, for what i's worth, could the concrete of the planter affect the
tree in some way. I don't know.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

AFAIK the tree is loaded with unripe figs :-(

I'll report back to him.

Bill

Old 29-10-2013, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 29/10/2013 18:43, sacha wrote:
We have a fig tree in the field which has loads of fruit on it which has
never got to edible size this year and Ray has had one fruit from it. He
doubts they'll go through the winter to ripen in the spring/summer of
next year and suspects our cold spring has affected our tree, so may
well have affected others. Otoh, and this is my two pennorth, for what
i's worth, could the concrete of the planter affect the tree in some
way. I don't know.

Just a thought,
We say to grow a fig with it's roots confined.
What would happen if you trenched around a fig and root pruned all the
large roots?
David

I'll mention this to my neigbour for his consideration - thanks David.

Bill

Old 29-10-2013, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-29 22:35:00 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"sacha" wrote in message
our tree, so may well have affected others. Otoh, and this is my two

pennorth, for what i's worth, could the concrete of the planter affect
the tree in some way. I don't know.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

AFAIK the tree is loaded with unripe figs :-(

I'll report back to him.

Bill

I think 'do nothing' is the best bet!
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 30-10-2013, 09:05 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
We have a fig tree in the field which has loads of fruit on it which
has never got to edible size this year and Ray has had one fruit from
it. He doubts they'll go through the winter to ripen in the
spring/summer of next year and suspects our cold spring has affected
our tree, so may well have affected others. Otoh, and this is my two
pennorth, for what i's worth, could the concrete of the planter affect
the tree in some way. I don't know.
Cold spring idea might be consistent with our experience - all our springs are cold ;-) so it may be your fig starts into action earlier normally, whereas ours is about its normal time, and we've had about 120 figs.

Ours has its roots surrounded by concrete slabs, so don't think the concrete is a problem.
__________________
Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

sacha;994389 Wrote:

We have a fig tree in the field which has loads of fruit on it which
has never got to edible size this year and Ray has had one fruit from
it. He doubts they'll go through the winter to ripen in the
spring/summer of next year and suspects our cold spring has affected
our tree, so may well have affected others. Otoh, and this is my two
pennorth, for what i's worth, could the concrete of the planter affect
the tree in some way. I don't know.

Cold spring idea might be consistent with our experience - all our
springs are cold ;-) so it may be your fig starts into action earlier
normally, whereas ours is about its normal time, and we've had about 120
figs.

Ours has its roots surrounded by concrete slabs, so don't think the
concrete is a problem.

--
kay

At the time of writing, I saw that the tree is almost devoid of leaves after
the rough weather, but there are still quite a few unripe figs hanging on.

Bill

Carpobrotus Edulis AKA Ice Plant, Hottentot Fig, Kaffir Fig Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-03-2010 06:54 AM
UK - Problem with fig tree Steve Newport Edible Gardening 4 04-05-2008 11:30 PM
Fig Problem [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 19-08-2005 09:14 PM
Fig problem JRs-LOVE Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Banyan fig (Ficus microcarpa retusa) David Stern Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 08:01 AM