GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Manure (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208603-manure.html)

Pete C[_2_] 25-10-2013 08:33 PM

Manure

A friend has asked me if it's ok to put manure onto flooded ground (2").
Said I don't know, I'll ask.....
Thanks
--
Pete C
Adventure before dementia

David Hill 25-10-2013 09:43 PM

Manure

On 25/10/2013 20:33, Pete C wrote:
A friend has asked me if it's ok to put manure onto flooded ground (2").
Said I don't know, I'll ask.....
Thanks

Putting manure on the ground when it's flooded will do no harm, it's how
you get it there that can ruin the ground,

Gary Woods 25-10-2013 09:53 PM

Manure

"Pete C" wrote:

A friend has asked me if it's ok to put manure onto flooded ground (2").

Another thought: If the manure stays really wet, the decomposition will go
anaerobic, and smell like.....well, like it already does, but more so.
Doesn't much matter where I am (there are a couple of biggish dairy farms
in town), but...

Pete C[_2_] 26-10-2013 11:33 PM

Manure

Thanks Gary and David...no other comments?

sacha 27-10-2013 05:48 PM

Manure

On 2013-10-26 22:33:04 +0000, Pete C said:

Thanks Gary and David...no other comments?

There's run off in what may be an undesirable direction, like the back
door or pond, or down a road or lane to somone's else's property, if
the rain becomes heavier. Can he pile it in a corner, tarp it and use
it later?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Pete C[_2_] 27-10-2013 07:40 PM

Manure

On 2013-10-26 22:33:04 +0000, Pete C said:

Thanks Gary and David...no other comments?

There's run off in what may be an undesirable direction, like the back
door or pond, or down a road or lane to somone's else's property, if the
rain becomes heavier. Can he pile it in a corner, tarp it and use it
later?
--

No chance of run off, the ground on all sides is higher.My friend is
erm.....a tad impatient ;)

David Hill 27-10-2013 07:50 PM

Manure

On 2013-10-26 22:33:04 +0000, Pete C said:

Thanks Gary and David...no other comments?

There's run off in what may be an undesirable direction, like the back
door or pond, or down a road or lane to somone's else's property, if the
rain becomes heavier. Can he pile it in a corner, tarp it and use it
later?
--

No chance of run off, the ground on all sides is higher.My friend is
erm.....a tad impatient ;)

Well he could go out there tonight and throw it into the air and let the
wind spread it.

Sacha[_11_] 27-10-2013 10:50 PM

Manure

On 2013-10-26 22:33:04 +0000, Pete C said:

Thanks Gary and David...no other comments?

There's run off in what may be an undesirable direction, like the back
door or pond, or down a road or lane to somone's else's property, if
the rain becomes heavier. Can he pile it in a corner, tarp it and use
it later?
--

No chance of run off, the ground on all sides is higher.My friend is
erm.....a tad impatient ;)

Gardening, impatience and manure - interesting result, maybe!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden 28-10-2013 08:28 AM

Manure

"Pete C" wrote

A friend has asked me if it's ok to put manure onto flooded ground (2").
Said I don't know, I'll ask.....

Similar problem for me last winter. We garden on clay/silt and didn't have
any manure delivered because the ground was already saturated and I didn't
want more water being held by the wet manure. I wouldn't have been able to
incorporate it in to the soil either and would have done more damage walking
about on the "rice paddy".
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.