Old 26-10-2013, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Black or othe colour plastic to cover ground

I'm going to try a deliberate (rather than involuntary) no dig policy this
winter on the allotment.

I need some opaque plastic sheets to cover the ground.

I do have some black and some blue DPC membrane for putting in foundations.

Will this be O.K. or do I need something gardening specific?

Equally, if I don't have enough then this plastic is cheap as chips from
Builders Merchants.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 26-10-2013, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

I'm going to try a deliberate (rather than involuntary) no dig policy
this winter on the allotment.

I need some opaque plastic sheets to cover the ground.

I do have some black and some blue DPC membrane for putting in
foundations.

I think that black DPC membrane would be better because it lets no light in
and helps warm up the ground. I don't know the science of it, but black
absorbs light, or is it heat? Or both?
I have seen many allotmenteers us it on parts that have weeds, and I am
going to do the same next week for my next years potato plot after a layer
of rotted manure has been laid on the top of the soil.

Will this be O.K. or do I need something gardening specific?

One snag is that your soil is going to be on the dry side when you lift the
covers off. Would it be a good idea to water first? I don't know. I am
going to suck it and see. (no pun)

Equally, if I don't have enough then this plastic is cheap as chips
from Builders Merchants.

Correct. Builders Merchants are one of the gardeners best friend,
financialy.

Cheers

Dave R

We should compare notes next spring, Dave.

Best wishes
Baz
Old 27-10-2013, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 15:28:55 +0000, Baz wrote:

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

[...]

snip

Have you seen the forecast? :-(

Not much point in watering a swamp, IMHO.

Good general point, though :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Old 27-10-2013, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2013 11:25, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

If you cut the polythene into bed sized strips then there should be
enough migration of the water from the sides If you cover the whole plot
with one sheet then I'd put something under it to raise it a few inches
every 6ft , weigh it down between and use a garden fork to make holes
through it to let the water through. If you have the whole plot covered,
who is going to get all your run off? will they be happy with that?
David @ a blustery side of Swansea Bay
They're surfing in this part of the world as well
http://www.gowerlive.co.uk/webcams/langland-webcam

Old 27-10-2013, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

[...]

Agricultural Suppliers are also pretty good. Silage sheets are huge and
cheap.
--
bert