Old 26-10-2013, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is this it?

The wind is getting up quite a bit and the sky is very omnibus, getting
a darker grey by the minute. It's hard to tell because the light is bad
but it may be raining on top of the fields on the horizon.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-10-2013, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-26 17:37:11 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 18:35:44 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Michael Fish event of 1887

LOL. YKWIM!

Well, they do say we might be into history repeating itself. ;-) No
rain here at present but the wind is a little higher than it was.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-10-2013, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:45:39 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

The wind is getting up quite a bit and the sky is very omnibus, getting
a darker grey by the minute. It's hard to tell because the light is bad
but it may be raining on top of the fields on the horizon.

Not here as yet but as we are rather exposed on top of a hill on the
South Devon coast (550 feet up) we are quite used to breezy weather.

The '87 storm brought a number of mature trees down in the wood but at
least our neighbour has had his oaks and beeches topped a bit which is
slightly comforting as they would take out a fairly large chunk of our
living area if toppled by the forecast south westerlies.
--
rbel
Old 27-10-2013, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The wind is getting up quite a bit and the sky is very omnibus, getting
a darker grey by the minute. It's hard to tell because the light is bad
but it may be raining on top of the fields on the horizon.

Not here as yet but as we are rather exposed on top of a hill on the
South Devon coast (550 feet up) we are quite used to breezy weather.

The '87 storm brought a number of mature trees down in the wood but at
least our neighbour has had his oaks and beeches topped a bit which is
slightly comforting as they would take out a fairly large chunk of our
living area if toppled by the forecast south westerlies.

It's gone very quiet now, no wind, no rain. The worry with a storm at
this time of year is the leaves are still on the trees and give them
windage. That was the trouble in 1987, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-10-2013, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:45:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The wind is getting up quite a bit and the sky is very omnibus, getting
a darker grey by the minute.

The radar is howing it to be a bit damp in the southern end of the
country. The 1800 chart has a fairly non descript feature for this
storm, it'll have to deepen a lot and rapidly to give any serious
trouble.

It's likely to track south of us so we won't get much in the way of
wind or rain but we have had about 4" of that over the last few days
anyway. The latter part of next week might be more interesting as
the next atlantic complex sends lows across Scotland. Cold arctic air
looks as if it might get dragged in as well, 1st snows of the year
are sort of due end of Oct early Nov.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 28-10-2013, 10:59 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_11_] View Post
The wind is getting up quite a bit and the sky is very omnibus,
Know what you mean. We had a clap of thunder last night which sound like a double decker bus being dropped on the road outside.
__________________
Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
The wind is getting up quite a bit and the sky is very omnibus, getting a
darker grey by the minute. --

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

You wait ages for one storm, then two come together :-)

What a lovely Malapropism.

Bill

Bill

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 17:48:39 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
The wind is getting up quite a bit and the sky is very omnibus, getting
a darker grey by the minute. --
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

You wait ages for one storm, then two come together :-)

What a lovely Malapropism.

Bill

It's a Ray-ism. ;-) He always says that and it's passed into the family
dictionary and is now officially official!

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 17:48:39 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
The wind is getting up quite a bit and the sky is very omnibus, getting
a darker grey by the minute. --
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

You wait ages for one storm, then two come together :-)

What a lovely Malapropism.

Bill

It's a Ray-ism. ;-) He always says that and it's passed into the family
dictionary and is now officially official!

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

It makes for a more colourful life. I have one I just can't shake off. A
friend had a Sealyham Terrier, and as a joke I called it a Selenium Terror,
now I'm stuck with it.

Bill

Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 17:48:39 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

;-) Sounds appropriate to me! My ex-husband (who was NOT into
gardening at all) once pronounced Cotoneaster exactly as it is spelt.
That passed into family folklore, too "shall we plant a cotton easter"?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 17:48:39 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

That's the way my late mother always pronounced it
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 17:48:39 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

And one can see why - makes more sense to the eye. But that did not
detract from the considerable teasing that went on in our family, I'm
afraid. His parents were considerable gardeners and I was starting to
improve my game, so the poor man didn't stand a chance! Ray and I
differ on pronunciations of plant names but it's an amicable wrangle -
Clematis, Alyogyne, Chaenomeles lead to debate!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 17:48:39 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

What about the Day Lily Hemerocallis (Hemero callis or Hemer ocallis)
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 17:48:39 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Hemero carllis. ;-) The opportunities for debate are endless e.g. Nye
fophia or Niphoffia (Kniphofia) I knew someone who pronounced Dahlia
as 'Darlia' but don't know anyone who pronounces Fuchsia as Fooksia.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com