Old 27-10-2013, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The approaching menace

On 27/10/13 20:19, David Hill wrote:
On 27/10/2013 19:57, Christina Websell wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message news:wPdbu.30264
the winds will be 18-21mph mean, gusting to 36-38mph.
Hurricane is 75mph mean and above.

Of course, local conditions may be different, but that's /always/
the case.

Maybe you were here where the wind got up today to 60-?
We have a warning about we are going to get high winds and you might be
lucky if you don't.

Well here around Swansea Bay the wind at the Mumbles gusted to 59mph or over for 7 hours, with a base speed of 40mph and over for 11 hours.
David

That doesn't surprise me: somewhere 100ft up on the coast is
always going to see more than the 30ft forecast inland.
Old 27-10-2013, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/13 19:57, Christina Websell wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message news:wPdbu.30264
the winds will be 18-21mph mean, gusting to 36-38mph.
Hurricane is 75mph mean and above.

Of course, local conditions may be different, but that's /always/
the case.

Maybe you were here where the wind got up today to 60-?

Coleshill had 15 gusting to 35-40
Nottingham had 20-25 gusting to 40-45

We have a warning about we are going to get high winds and you might be
lucky if you don't.

So did we in Bristol, to the extent my mother was /very/ worried.
The forecast was pretty much right on, 20-25 gusting to 40.

In other words, nothing exceptional and certainly nothing to
worry about. /Certainly/ not a "hurricane" (i.e. 75+)!

Old 27-10-2013, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-27 19:47:17 +0000, David Hill said:

On 27/10/2013 18:25, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 27/10/13 18:20, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Or look at what they're predicting for next weekend.

That does look more entertaining, at sea at least.

But then anybody that believes in the /specific/
accuracy of forecasts more than 5 days away is a
candidate to buy the Brooklyn Bridge!

Is it for sale again?

It is, always!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-10-2013, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-27 18:26:43 +0000, David Rance said:

In message , Pam Moore
writes

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

We're returning from France tomorrow afternoon (Caen/Portsmouth).
Hopefully things will have died down a bit by then.

David

You might want to check that, David. A lot of ferries have been cancelled.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-10-2013, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-27 21:37:15 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:18:13 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

Pam in Bristol

At 21.30, it looks as if it's going to go south of the UK, heading
into Brittany, unless it suddenly swings north.

Stair rods rain here, like a tap left running. The wind was
non-existent but there's just the faintest sound of it starting up.
Nothing dramatic though.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-10-2013, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

If it's as bad as 87 there won't be any old trees left in the south. We
have
tried to peg down our chilli cloches on the allotment and make sure
nothing
can blow about but I have no doubt there will be damage, it was our house
roof last time that lost a ridge tile. Even more glad I had the big
Robinia
down in the front garden.

Actually, in 1987, the old trees survived better than the younger
ones - see Rackham on that.

Sevenoaks lost 6 of theirs. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-10-2013, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

the winds will be 18-21mph mean, gusting to 36-38mph.
Hurricane is 75mph mean and above.

Of course, local conditions may be different, but that's /always/
the case.

Maybe you were here where the wind got up today to 60-?
We have a warning about we are going to get high winds and you might be
lucky if you don't.

Well here around Swansea Bay the wind at the Mumbles gusted to 59mph
or over for 7 hours, with a base speed of 40mph and over for 11 hours.
David

That doesn't surprise me: somewhere 100ft up on the coast is
always going to see more than the 30ft forecast inland.

Yes?
But we are over 300ft above the Mumbles where those figures are from so
chances are we had more than the figures I quoted.
Old 28-10-2013, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

Pam in Bristol

At 21.30, it looks as if it's going to go south of the UK, heading
into Brittany, unless it suddenly swings north.

Stair rods rain here, like a tap left running. The wind was
non-existent but there's just the faintest sound of it starting up.
Nothing dramatic though.

It is getting a bit windy up here now. We are more than 200 feet
higher than Berry Head where 106 kph gusts have just been recorded.
Not going to bed just yet, the noise of bits of tree hitting the
windows would keep me awake so settling down with a book for a while.
--
rbel
Old 28-10-2013, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

We're returning from France tomorrow afternoon (Caen/Portsmouth).
Hopefully things will have died down a bit by then.

You might want to check that, David. A lot of ferries have been cancelled.

Thankfully (I think!) our sailing is ok. The two ferries on our route,
the Normandie and the Mont Saint Michel, both arrived at their
respective ports on time last night. The Portsmouth to St. Malo crossing
was late this morning but it seems that it sheltered in the lee of the
Cotentin for a time. Brittany Ferries have a page on their web site
where you can track the movements of the ships.

During the night we had some pretty strong gusts. It's quieter this
morning and sunny. No damage to speak of, just dead branches off our
trees. There was an electricity outage during the night but I don't know
how long for - probably only momentary. But further to the west there
are areas without power so we were lucky. Saw the BBC news this morning
and it seems that the West Country has also had widespread power
outages.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Old 28-10-2013, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Stair rods rain here, like a tap left running. The wind was
non-existent but there's just the faintest sound of it starting up.
Nothing dramatic though.

It is getting a bit windy up here now. We are more than 200 feet
higher than Berry Head where 106 kph gusts have just been recorded.
Not going to bed just yet, the noise of bits of tree hitting the
windows would keep me awake so settling down with a book for a while.

It really was not that bad. A substantial branch down on the rear
lawn and small debris covering all the south and west elevations of
the building. Flooded frontage where piles of leaves swamped the
surface water drains. No tiles appear to have moved this time. One
tree down at the end of the close and another at the bottom of the
hill but the gusts were not as high as forecast - around 100 kph
recorded at Berry Head at midnight and then 1, 2 and 4 am.
--
rbel
Old 28-10-2013, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2013 08:20, David Rance wrote:
Brittany Ferries have a page on their web site where you can track the
movements of the ships.

Isn't that up and down and from side to side?
Old 28-10-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Hill
writes
On 28/10/2013 08:20, David Rance wrote:
Brittany Ferries have a page on their web site where you can track the
movements of the ships.

Isn't that up and down and from side to side?

No, but I agree that that would be very useful!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 29-10-2013, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-28 08:20:39 +0000, David Rance said:

In message , Sacha
[...]

Breakfast news yesterday said that 6000 homes were affected. We weren't
one of them for which we were very thankful as the outage started at
midnight and was still being repaired at around 8am. The only
difference we noticed was that our papers were delivered a bit later
than usual!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-10-2013, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

Pam in Bristol

At 21.30, it looks as if it's going to go south of the UK, heading
into Brittany, unless it suddenly swings north.

Stair rods rain here, like a tap left running. The wind was
non-existent but there's just the faintest sound of it starting up.
Nothing dramatic though.

The evil gnome strikes again

http://www.noordhollandsdagblad.nl/i...ut+%282%29.JPG

Oh dear! A girl in Kent was killed when a leylandii fell onto her
caravan and her poor mother could hear her calling out but her voice
faded and she died. It must have been the most appalling experience for
both of them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Dennis The Menace Brooklyn1 Gardening 1 18-08-2014 02:50 AM
Incorrect info menace Sacha United Kingdom 11 05-11-2007 10:53 AM
A wish for the New Year that is fast approaching................. madgardener United Kingdom 2 02-01-2006 12:29 AM
Pond day is approaching :) Happy'Cam'per Ponds 7 07-05-2004 09:04 PM
Squirrel menace Alan Holmes United Kingdom 3 30-09-2002 12:32 AM