Old 27-10-2013, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The approaching menace

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-10-2013, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2013 15:18, Pam Moore wrote:
Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

Pam in Bristol

I didn't know that Jim Morrison had anything to do with Mastermind. ;-)

--

Jeff
Old 27-10-2013, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

Pam in Bristol

I've done as much as I can to batten down the hatches. Last time there were
winds of this predicted force I had a tree down in my garden.
The wind has been strengthening all day, I thought it would so I put my
washing machine on overnight, pegged the clothes out this a.m. and have got
all them all dry :-)

I'm expecting some damage if it materialises, let's hope it won't be as bad
as forecast.

Stay safe, folks

Tina in Leics

Old 27-10-2013, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

If it's as bad as 87 there won't be any old trees left in the south. We have
tried to peg down our chilli cloches on the allotment and make sure nothing
can blow about but I have no doubt there will be damage, it was our house
roof last time that lost a ridge tile. Even more glad I had the big Robinia
down in the front garden.
Stay safe, stay indoors away from flying objects.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-10-2013, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

If it's as bad as 87 there won't be any old trees left in the south. We have
tried to peg down our chilli cloches on the allotment and make sure nothing
can blow about but I have no doubt there will be damage, it was our house
roof last time that lost a ridge tile. Even more glad I had the big Robinia
down in the front garden.

Actually, in 1987, the old trees survived better than the younger
ones - see Rackham on that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-10-2013, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/13 16:21, Christina Websell wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

Pam in Bristol

I've done as much as I can to batten down the hatches. Last time there were
winds of this predicted force I had a tree down in my garden.
The wind has been strengthening all day, I thought it would so I put my
washing machine on overnight, pegged the clothes out this a.m. and have got
all them all dry :-)

I'm expecting some damage if it materialises, let's hope it won't be as bad
as forecast.

Stay safe, folks

I suspect the Met Office is suffering from a phobia of "another Michael
Fish moment", or is trying to get politicians to realise that we do need
to continue funding them. For most places it isn't going to be anywhere
near as bad as they were thinking it /might possibly/ be a few days ago.
South coast will get it in the neck though.

Have a look at
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MOD ELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=uv10&HH=0&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=
- select "surface wind" or "preciptation"
- select the time for which you want to see a forecast

And if you really want to have "fun", change the
"Base Su 12,GMT" to "Base Th 12,GMT", to see what
they were predicting last Thursday.

Old 27-10-2013, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Or look at what they're predicting for next weekend.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-10-2013, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/13 18:20, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Or look at what they're predicting for next weekend.

That does look more entertaining, at sea at least.

But then anybody that believes in the /specific/
accuracy of forecasts more than 5 days away is a
candidate to buy the Brooklyn Bridge!
Old 27-10-2013, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes

Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

We're returning from France tomorrow afternoon (Caen/Portsmouth).
Hopefully things will have died down a bit by then.

David
--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 27-10-2013, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

I'll tell you in two days time whether I needed to worry about a hurricane
which I'll get tonight.

Old 27-10-2013, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

I'll let you know what happens about our hurricane tomorrow, it is coming
overnight, allegedly.
I've done as much as I can to make us all safe.
Tina

Old 27-10-2013, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Both the GFS model and the MetOffice model indicate that in Leicester
the winds will be 18-21mph mean, gusting to 36-38mph.
Hurricane is 75mph mean and above.

Of course, local conditions may be different, but that's /always/
the case.
Old 27-10-2013, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2013 18:25, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 27/10/13 18:20, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Or look at what they're predicting for next weekend.

That does look more entertaining, at sea at least.

But then anybody that believes in the /specific/
accuracy of forecasts more than 5 days away is a
candidate to buy the Brooklyn Bridge!

Is it for sale again?
Old 27-10-2013, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message news:wPdbu.30264
the winds will be 18-21mph mean, gusting to 36-38mph.
Hurricane is 75mph mean and above.

Of course, local conditions may be different, but that's /always/
the case.

Maybe you were here where the wind got up today to 60-?
We have a warning about we are going to get high winds and you might be
lucky if you don't.

Old 27-10-2013, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2013 19:57, Christina Websell wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message news:wPdbu.30264
the winds will be 18-21mph mean, gusting to 36-38mph.
Hurricane is 75mph mean and above.

Of course, local conditions may be different, but that's /always/
the case.

Maybe you were here where the wind got up today to 60-?
We have a warning about we are going to get high winds and you might be
lucky if you don't.

Well here around Swansea Bay the wind at the Mumbles gusted to 59mph or
over for 7 hours, with a base speed of 40mph and over for 11 hours.
David

Dennis The Menace Brooklyn1 Gardening 1 18-08-2014 01:50 AM
Incorrect info menace Sacha United Kingdom 11 05-11-2007 09:53 AM
A wish for the New Year that is fast approaching................. madgardener United Kingdom 2 01-01-2006 11:29 PM
Pond day is approaching :) Happy'Cam'per Ponds 7 07-05-2004 08:04 PM
Squirrel menace Alan Holmes United Kingdom 3 29-09-2002 11:32 PM