Old 28-10-2013, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify this crop?

Could someone who is not so horticulturally ignorant as me identify
this crop please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old 28-10-2013, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry Pinnell" wrote

Could someone who is not so horticulturally ignorant as me identify
this crop please?

This is a non-binary Newsgroup so you can't post photos here. You will need
to use a photo sharing site like Flickr and then post a link to the photo
here.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-10-2013, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote

Could someone who is not so horticulturally ignorant as me identify
this crop please?

This is a non-binary Newsgroup so you can't post photos here. You will need
to use a photo sharing site like Flickr and then post a link to the photo
here.

Sorry, that's exactly what I meant to do, but I forgot to add the
link!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0-Enhanced.JPG

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old 28-10-2013, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2013 17:51, Terry Pinnell wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote

Could someone who is not so horticulturally ignorant as me identify
this crop please?

Zea mays (maize).

This is a non-binary Newsgroup so you can't post photos here. You will need
to use a photo sharing site like Flickr and then post a link to the photo
here.

Sorry, that's exactly what I meant to do, but I forgot to add the
link!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0-Enhanced.JPG

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-10-2013, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 17:51:04 +0000, Terry Pinnell
wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Could someone who is not so horticulturally ignorant as me identify
this crop please?

This is a non-binary Newsgroup so you can't post photos here. You will need
to use a photo sharing site like Flickr and then post a link to the photo
here.

Sorry, that's exactly what I meant to do, but I forgot to add the
link!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0-Enhanced.JPG

Maize. Grown extensively as a winter fodder crop for cattle. A lot
grown down here, one crop per year, unlike grass where you may get two
or three cuts per year. They only just finished harvesting it in my
immediate neighbourhood before the weather broke. The whole plant is
used, cut and shredded in a continuous action, and the shredded bits
shot into a large high-sided trailer, then taken back to the farmyard
and made into a silage clamp. My neighbour farmer reckons his cows
produce more milk on it than on grass silage, although when I asked
him whether he gets more maize in a single cut than grass in two or
three cuts, he didn't seem very sure.

See for example http://www.ukagriculture.com/crops/forage_maize.cfm

It's the same plant as sweetcorn, incidentally! There isn't enough
sun in the UK to ripen maize properly, so it's almost all grown to
be eaten green (mainly as forage, as Chris Hogg says).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-10-2013, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2013 18:49, Nick Maclaren wrote:
wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

If it's field scale and 6 to ft tall then its fodder maize but if it's a
bit shorter and on a smaller scale then it could well be sweetcorn for
human consumption.
Looks to me as if the picture was taken in July so could have been
sweetcorn as the cobs are showing tassels, but looking at the density of
the plants I'd go with the others on forage crop.
David @ a wet side of Swansea Bay, some very heavy showers, a couple
with hail in them.

Old 29-10-2013, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

Thanks all, much appreciated and amaizingly informative ;-)

Came across it many times while walking the Offas Dyke Path with my
wife this summer. That photo was on 27th July, a couple of miles north
of Chepstow.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Can anyone help me identify this plant? - identify-01.jpg Palooka Garden Photos 2 14-05-2008 11:36 PM
crop rotation Jane VR Permaculture 2 03-04-2003 01:56 AM
economic interest of crop modelling Marie-Claude Deboin Plant Science 1 03-03-2003 09:55 PM
economic interest of crop modelling Marie-Claude Deboin sci.agriculture 0 03-03-2003 11:39 AM