Old 29-10-2013, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis update

Thought I'd better report back. Taylors turn out to be very efficient.
Their website allows you to choose the day you want the plants
delivered, so I chose today (Tues) because Steph comes on Wednesdays.
Taylors duly ack'ed my order and gave a tracking number on the carriers'
website. The parcel duly arrived today at 11:30, well packed to protect
the plants. I've unpacked them and put them away to await Steph
tomorrow. They look in fine order.

So Taylors seem to be the goods. I wish some (nameless) other plant
sellers would let once choose a day for delivery and give a tracking number.

HTH

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 29-10-2013, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-29 16:00:09 +0000, Hugh Newbury said:

Thought I'd better report back. Taylors turn out to be very efficient.
Their website allows you to choose the day you want the plants
delivered, so I chose today (Tues) because Steph comes on Wednesdays.
Taylors duly ack'ed my order and gave a tracking number on the
carriers' website. The parcel duly arrived today at 11:30, well packed
to protect the plants. I've unpacked them and put them away to await
Steph tomorrow. They look in fine order.

So Taylors seem to be the goods. I wish some (nameless) other plant
sellers would let once choose a day for delivery and give a tracking
number.

HTH

Hugh

Some do but it depends on the carrier used and that - for the sender -
depends on the prices the carrier charges and whether they have a
minimum 'order', in that the sender must send out a certain number of
parcels per week. We've only ever used two carriers and both give a
tracking number and also allow us to choose the day of delivery and
whether or not we want a 24 hour or 48 hour service but one will pick
up one parcel a week, while another won't take less than ten or indeed,
more than ten! The 48 hour is usually a little less expensive.
Many/most nurseries will despatch Monday to Wednesday but won't send
out on a Thursday, for example, because the plants would be in a
warehouse over the week end until delivered on Monday. Saturday
delivery also incurs an extra charge and there's usually another to the
sender for delivery in the parts of London where there's a congestion
charge. Large companies sending out dozens or even hundreds, of
parcels per week, can probably dictate terms to some extent, too.

I do a lot of my own shopping online for all sorts of things and like
you, find there are very few companies, other than supermarkets, that
allow one to choose a specific date of delivery and this may be to do
with volume, either because it's low or because it's very high. I know
of at least one nursery that tells you that at busy times of year, your
order will be sent out when they have time to do it because everything
is in a queue and to be fair, I'm assuming they want a first-come,
first-served system to operate.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-10-2013, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:38:48 +0000, Sacha

On 2013-10-29 16:00:09 +0000, Hugh Newbury said:

[...]

Of course if you visit Charlie's nursery you can chose your own plants
and bring them home with you!

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-10-2013, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

On 2013-10-29 16:00:09 +0000, Hugh Newbury said:

Thought I'd better report back. Taylors turn out to be very efficient.

Of course if you visit Charlie's nursery you can chose your own plants
and bring them home with you!

Same at Taylor's

Janet.

Old 30-10-2013, 09:10 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Newbury View Post
So Taylors seem to be the goods. I wish some (nameless) other plant
sellers would let once choose a day for delivery and give a tracking number.
I've just had the same experience from Ark bird seed sellers, recommended by Jake. I didn't want to change from CJ, who have always been reliable, but Ark were consistently cheaper, so I felt I had no choice, and their service has been equally good, including allowing me to choose a delivery day.
__________________

Old 30-10-2013, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:38:48 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Snip

warehouse over the week end until delivered on Monday. Saturday
delivery also incurs an extra charge and there's usually another to the
sender for delivery in the parts of London where there's a congestion
charge. Large companies sending out dozens or even hundreds, of
parcels per week, can probably dictate terms to some extent, too.

You're lucky! A number of companies will simply not deliver to the
Highlands of Scotland, or will charge an excessive ammount. This is
now becomming apparent in one television advert for a vacuum cleaner
that states that the offer is not available to the Highlands of Scotland.
Come Independance, and the boot will be on the other foot!!! We are
hardly a UNITED Kingdom.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 30-10-2013, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message ...

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:38:48 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Snip

warehouse over the week end until delivered on Monday. Saturday
delivery also incurs an extra charge and there's usually another to the
sender for delivery in the parts of London where there's a congestion
charge. Large companies sending out dozens or even hundreds, of
parcels per week, can probably dictate terms to some extent, too.

You're lucky! A number of companies will simply not deliver to the
Highlands of Scotland, or will charge an excessive ammount. This is
now becomming apparent in one television advert for a vacuum cleaner
that states that the offer is not available to the Highlands of Scotland.
Come Independance, and the boot will be on the other foot!!! We are
hardly a UNITED Kingdom.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland
.................................................. .......................

Phil we have the same sort of problems with just a few suppliers to the Isle
of Wight. Ignorant people we are part of the Channel Islands. The fact that
we are a PO post Code, Portsmouth, does help in a lot of cases.

Those that DO recognise us as normal and that we DO have Electricity and a
Postman and running water, do very well out of us. I bought a couple of
bulky items on eBay and there was no trouble at all in getting them
delivered at NO extra charge.

'Do we need a passport and what currency do you use?' are genuine questions
when I am in England and I tell people I am from the Isle of Wight.

I wonder if they will understand when the bridge is built.

Mike

www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 30-10-2013, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:
.. .
wrote:

warehouse over the week end until delivered on Monday. Saturday
delivery also incurs an extra charge and there's usually another to the
sender for delivery in the parts of London where there's a congestion
charge. Large companies sending out dozens or even hundreds, of
parcels per week, can probably dictate terms to some extent, too.

You're lucky! A number of companies will simply not deliver to the
Highlands of Scotland, or will charge an excessive ammount. This is
now becomming apparent in one television advert for a vacuum cleaner
that states that the offer is not available to the Highlands of Scotland.
Come Independance, and the boot will be on the other foot!!! We are
hardly a UNITED Kingdom.

Don't bet on it :-( Historically and currently, the relationship
between the Highlands and Lowlands was and is not dissimilar to
that between the south east and the north of England. Would that
old rogue Salmond change that? Hmm.

But we have agreed before that the privatisation of the ex-Royal
Mail means that you will be able to collect your mail from a
convenient local depot in any of Aberdeen, Perth or Fort William.
What more could you want? :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-10-2013, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

But we have agreed before that the privatisation of the ex-Royal
Mail means that you will be able to collect your mail from a
convenient local depot in any of Aberdeen, Perth or Fort William.
What more could you want? :-)

Ah, yes, one in Inverness as well! See? Your wishes granted!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-10-2013, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/30/2013 11:20 AM, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In ,
Nick wrote:

But we have agreed before that the privatisation of the ex-Royal
Mail means that you will be able to collect your mail from a
convenient local depot in any of Aberdeen, Perth or Fort William.
What more could you want? :-)

Ah, yes, one in Inverness as well! See? Your wishes granted!

Lovely - only 2 to 2 1/2 hours south of me. But I have an IV postcode,
so obviously it's not very far...
Old 30-10-2013, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-30 10:56:07 +0000, Phil Gurr said:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:38:48 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Snip

warehouse over the week end until delivered on Monday. Saturday
delivery also incurs an extra charge and there's usually another to the
sender for delivery in the parts of London where there's a congestion
charge. Large companies sending out dozens or even hundreds, of
parcels per week, can probably dictate terms to some extent, too.

You're lucky! A number of companies will simply not deliver to the
Highlands of Scotland, or will charge an excessive ammount. This is
now becomming apparent in one television advert for a vacuum cleaner
that states that the offer is not available to the Highlands of Scotland.
Come Independance, and the boot will be on the other foot!!! We are
hardly a UNITED Kingdom.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

As far as I recall we've only sent one parcel to the Highlands and that
was to Inverness but we've sent quite a few to lowland Scotland. I
simply can't remember whether or not we paid an excess for the
Inverness one. But most couriers state that there will be an excess
charge for the Highlands and Islands, so I'm not sure how we're lucky?
I know that one company we were talking to in London for a customer
who wanted mature trees in large quantities told us it would be £700 to
deliver them, because they had to come down here and return, just for
us. Alternative arrangements were made! Fuel costs are the curse of
couriers and therefore their customers.
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 30-10-2013, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

Historically and currently, the relationship
between the Highlands and Lowlands was and is not dissimilar to
that between the south east and the north of England.

I live in Scotland and have never observed heard or read anything to
confirm that separation exists within Scotland.

I sincerely hope that you aren't going to deny the historical
relationship! But let's stick to today.

I hear that quite a lot about England, too, from people who live
in the south-east - but not from those who live in the north. And
I have heard quite a lot of supporting evidence for my statement
from people who live in the remoter parts of the Highlands, as
well as having observed evidence myself.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-10-2013, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message ...

In article ,
Janet wrote:

Historically and currently, the relationship
between the Highlands and Lowlands was and is not dissimilar to
that between the south east and the north of England.

I live in Scotland and have never observed heard or read anything to
confirm that separation exists within Scotland.

I sincerely hope that you aren't going to deny the historical
relationship! But let's stick to today.

I hear that quite a lot about England, too, from people who live
in the south-east - but not from those who live in the north. And
I have heard quite a lot of supporting evidence for my statement
from people who live in the remoter parts of the Highlands, as
well as having observed evidence myself.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick it's a well known fact amongst ex Service Association Reunion
organisers that to organise a reunion north of Stafford for example, it will
in general be poorly attended. Please note 'in general', however organise
one in the South and it will be well attended. We have had members fly south
from Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man.

Too cold North of the Watford Gap.