Old 30-10-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default After the storm

Took the camera out a couple of days ago.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdfa2637e.jpg

Surprising what's still in flower
This took a beating with the rain, but sheltering under the leaves
helped, and still pushing out it's wonderful scent.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps5201e104.jpg

Hard to believe but I've still got honeysuckle,e in flower
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa85c2916.jpg

The Wigela is flowering well, better than in the spring as nor the
Bullfinches haven't been removing the flower buds
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps348730be.jpg

Whilst the flowers are not at their best this hydrangea with its velvety
leaves is a must.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9251c28c.jpg

The rhododendrons are either covered with fat buds or none at all, Sacha
says her camellias are well budded, these are the best of mine, a long
way off flowering
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscdab001b.jpg

talking of things to come the hazel catkins are coming on well
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps6590e579.jpg

A couple of the Jersey lilies salvaged from the old glasshouse are in
flower
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscd54b4c3.jpg

David @a yet again blustery side of Swansea bay
Old 31-10-2013, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote ((Big Snip))

A couple of the Jersey lilies salvaged from the old glasshouse are in
flower
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscd54b4c3.jpg

There is a garden near us that is totally pink Nerines around all sides of
the grass. Just coming into full flower now, it is a picture. They must have
thousands of pounds worth judging by the price I've seen bulbs for in the
shops. Ours got eaten by slugs/snails this year!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-10-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"David Hill" wrote ((Big Snip))

A couple of the Jersey lilies salvaged from the old glasshouse are in
flower
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscd54b4c3.jpg

There is a garden near us that is totally pink Nerines around all sides of
the grass. Just coming into full flower now, it is a picture. They must have
thousands of pounds worth judging by the price I've seen bulbs for in the
shops. Ours got eaten by slugs/snails this year!

Reminds me of a garden in the next village where there was a run down
empty house with a concreted-over garden, containing a raised concrete
bed. The only thing that grew in it was nerines, and it was packed,
giving great pleasure to passers by every autumn. Some years back the
house got done up and in the process they got rid of all the concrete
and raised bed. The garden is gravel now. I've often wondered what
became of those nerine bulbs, have a horrible feeling they got dumped
as landfill with the rest of the building rubbish :-(

Janet.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

BobH says...

"David Hill" wrote ((Big Snip))

[...]

Similar happened next door to us. The old Head Gardener died and his house
sold to a lovely young couple who naturally got the builders in. The garden
was old/overgrown but the ground was covered in Cyclamen hederifolium,
thousands of them. The builders didn't know and neither did the owners so in
clearing the garden the whole lot got dug up or dug in. The irony is they
recently bought some in flower!

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-01 08:35:11 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Janet" wrote

BobH says...

"David Hill" wrote ((Big Snip))

[...]

First rule of gardening, instantly broken. What a shame!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-31 09:19:54 +0000, Martin said:

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:30:06 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Took the camera out a couple of days ago.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdfa2637e.jpg

Surprising what's still in flower
This took a beating with the rain, but sheltering under the leaves
helped, and still pushing out it's wonderful scent.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps5201e104.jpg

Hard to believe but I've still got honeysuckle,e in flower
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa85c2916.jpg

Our honeysuckle lost all its leaves at the end of August. We suspect
it may be dead

Ours on the pergola thingy flowered so poorly this year and was a great
disappointment. It's just the bog-standard yellow/white one but
usually it's covered in flowers and smells exquisite.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:21:15 +0000, sacha wrote:

The builders didn't know and neither did the owners so in clearing

the
garden the whole lot got dug up or dug in. The irony is they

recently
bought some in flower!

First rule of gardening, instantly broken. What a shame!

Is that the rule that says when moving to a new property wait a year
to see what comes up in the garden?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-01 21:04:57 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:21:15 +0000, sacha wrote:

The builders didn't know and neither did the owners so in clearing

the
garden the whole lot got dug up or dug in. The irony is they

recently
bought some in flower!

First rule of gardening, instantly broken. What a shame!

Is that the rule that says when moving to a new property wait a year
to see what comes up in the garden?

Exactly that. I do understand the excitement of owning a new home and
wanting to put your own stamp on it. But with gardens, my personal
feeling is that it's more taking on a heritage, if you're lucky. These
people were unlucky enough to be in too much of a hurry. You can see
the most obvious faults or bonuses of a house pretty well immediately
but a garden takes at least a year to reveal itself. Those plants are
quite expensive and they went out to buy what they'd thrown out. Oh
dear!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com