Old 30-10-2013, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Walnuts

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some
today. Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth
and can irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and
delicious. A treat!
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 30-10-2013, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some today.
Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth and can
irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and delicious. A treat!

Two weeks age we had to get two new tyres for our car so, as usual, drove
down to Micheldever Station (the worlds busiest tyre shop). We then went
into Stockbridge and had lunch at the White Hart. Next to where we parked in
their Car Park (the one round the back) was a young Walnut tree and there
were walnuts on the ground so we picked up some. Beautiful, so different to
the dry things one normally buys.
Are there no squirrels in Stockbridge and Landscove? My neighbours big tree,
now gone, never had any drop tom the ground.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-10-2013, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 23:19:37 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some today.

Two weeks age we had to get two new tyres for our car so, as usual, drove
down to Micheldever Station (the worlds busiest tyre shop). We then went
into Stockbridge and had lunch at the White Hart. Next to where we parked in
their Car Park (the one round the back) was a young Walnut tree and there
were walnuts on the ground so we picked up some. Beautiful, so different to
the dry things one normally buys.
Are there no squirrels in Stockbridge

Don't know about squirrels but a couple of decades ago or more the
Stockbridge bobbie found a Hippopotamus one night. his daughter was a
barmaid ,in the Vine ISTR and told us all about it the next day.
Apparently when reporting into Andover about his find there was some
disbelief and ribbing so as it was just a calf he loaded into the van
and took it there where it was put in a cage normally used for lost
dogs.It came from a farm nearby which a member of the Chipperfield Zoo
owned and ran .

G.Harman
Old 31-10-2013, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-30 23:19:37 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some
today. Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth
and can irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and
delicious. A treat!

Two weeks age we had to get two new tyres for our car so, as usual,
drove down to Micheldever Station (the worlds busiest tyre shop). We
then went into Stockbridge and had lunch at the White Hart. Next to
where we parked in their Car Park (the one round the back) was a young
Walnut tree and there were walnuts on the ground so we picked up some.
Beautiful, so different to the dry things one normally buys.
Are there no squirrels in Stockbridge and Landscove? My neighbours big
tree, now gone, never had any drop tom the ground.

We do get squirrels but their numbers seem to be down. I remember
Stockbridge from a few visits there when I lived in Surrey. It has very
good trout fishing and a most exclusive, old fishing club, Istr, not
that I had anything to do with either! Presumably, nobody has figured
out a recipe involving trout and walnuts!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-10-2013, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-30 23:19:37 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

.................................................. ....................

Just one from Google

http://www.gourmandia.com/video-reci...t-with-walnuts

Mike
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 31-10-2013, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 23:03:35 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some
today. Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth
and can irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and
delicious. A treat!

Hi Sacha,

Fresh walnuts are nothing like dried, delicious indeed!

How long did it take your tree to start fruiting? We've planted 2 over
the years, the first only has a few after 20 years. (In fairness it was
nibbled nearly to the graft by deer shortly after planting. My fault.)
The second was a larger pole stage planted in 03, it just sat there for 8
years, with a few leaves but no stem growth. The past couple of years it
is starting to put on some size, but no signs of fruit yet.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 31-10-2013, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

[...]

.................................................. ..............

Emery we had a Walnut Tree in our garden in Leicester and 'the old wives'
tale' said to us, was that 'you plant a Walnut Tree at your son's or
daughter's birth for a Walnut on their 21st Birthday'

Old 31-10-2013, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2013 10:05, 'Mike' wrote:
How long did it take your tree to start fruiting? We've planted 2 over
the years, the first only has a few after 20 years. (In fairness it was
nibbled nearly to the graft by deer shortly after planting. My fault.)
The second was a larger pole stage planted in 03, it just sat there for 8
years, with a few leaves but no stem growth. The past couple of years it
is starting to put on some size, but no signs of fruit yet.

A woman, a Dog and a Walnut tree,
The more you beat them the better they be.
Old 31-10-2013, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some
today. Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth
and can irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and
delicious. A treat!

Have you got brown fingers now?

No. Ray shelled them and the actual nut is white!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-10-2013, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-31 09:44:18 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 23:03:35 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some
today. Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth
and can irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and
delicious. A treat!

Hi Sacha,

Fresh walnuts are nothing like dried, delicious indeed!

How long did it take your tree to start fruiting? We've planted 2 over
the years, the first only has a few after 20 years. (In fairness it was
nibbled nearly to the graft by deer shortly after planting. My fault.)
The second was a larger pole stage planted in 03, it just sat there for 8
years, with a few leaves but no stem growth. The past couple of years it
is starting to put on some size, but no signs of fruit yet.

-E

I'll have to check when this one went in, if any of us can remember.
It's probably about 15' or so tall though. It had about a dozen nuts
on it last year so it's definitely improving. Like you, my parents
found that one they planted took a long time to fruit and I think
that's pretty normal. If anyone remembers about ours, I'll post it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-10-2013, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-31 14:59:20 +0000, David Hill said:

On 31/10/2013 10:05, 'Mike' wrote:
How long did it take your tree to start fruiting? We've planted 2 over
the years, the first only has a few after 20 years. (In fairness it was
nibbled nearly to the graft by deer shortly after planting. My fault.)
The second was a larger pole stage planted in 03, it just sat there for 8
years, with a few leaves but no stem growth. The past couple of years it
is starting to put on some size, but no signs of fruit yet.

A woman, a Dog and a Walnut tree,
The more you beat them the better they be.

Come over here and say that! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-10-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some
today. Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth
and can irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and
delicious. A treat!

Have you got brown fingers now?

No. Ray shelled them and the actual nut is white!

I think that's a reference to the brown stain you get from the hulls,
which doesn't wash off. Might make a good fake tan actually
Old 31-10-2013, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some
today. Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth
and can irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and
delicious. A treat!

Have you got brown fingers now?

No. Ray shelled them and the actual nut is white!

I think that's a reference to the brown stain you get from the hulls,
which doesn't wash off. Might make a good fake tan actually

That was a feature of old-fashioned novels. At some point the
hero/heroine dyed their skin with walnut juice to pass him or herself
off as some dashing Mediterranean! I think it might go a bit streaky
in the shower, though! But no, no brown hands here, other than the
remains of suntans.
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2013-10-31 17:19:58 +0000, stuart noble said:

I think that's a reference to the brown stain you get from the hulls,
which doesn't wash off. Might make a good fake tan actually

That was a feature of old-fashioned novels. At some point the
hero/heroine dyed their skin with walnut juice to pass him or herself
off as some dashing Mediterranean! I think it might go a bit streaky
in the shower, though! But no, no brown hands here, other than the
remains of suntans.

No, it bonds with the skin. But it comes more from the unripe nuts
than the ripe ones, because the dye is in the flesh outside the nut.
Care must be taken when disguising yourself, otherwise places like
the palms of your hands will darken more than the backs, and that's
the converse of natural colouring!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-31 14:59:20 +0000, David Hill said:

On 31/10/2013 10:05, 'Mike' wrote:
How long did it take your tree to start fruiting? We've planted 2 over
the years, the first only has a few after 20 years. (In fairness it was
nibbled nearly to the graft by deer shortly after planting. My fault.)
The second was a larger pole stage planted in 03, it just sat there
for 8
years, with a few leaves but no stem growth. The past couple of
years it
is starting to put on some size, but no signs of fruit yet.

A woman, a Dog and a Walnut tree,
The more you beat them the better they be.

Come over here and say that! ;-)

Forgot you had dogs.

How can I sell walnuts? Michael Kohrs alt.forestry 0 21-09-2003 07:23 AM
Walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 08-06-2003 07:56 PM
Walnuts RandyB Gardening 4 28-04-2003 12:08 AM
stop the walnuts rebecc Gardening 11 16-04-2003 03:20 AM
Strange things happening to the walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 29-09-2002 10:58 PM