Old 31-10-2013, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Where have all the squirrels gone?

I have not seen a squirrel for months. Now I have put up squirrel proof
feeders, but I cannot imagine that would stop them from trying.
I saw that in a thread about walnuts that the squirrels had not been
after them. Have they all been wiped out, or at least decimated by a
disease or prey?
Old 31-10-2013, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

I have not seen a squirrel for months. Now I have put up squirrel proof
feeders, but I cannot imagine that would stop them from trying.
I saw that in a thread about walnuts that the squirrels had not been after
them. Have they all been wiped out, or at least decimated by a disease or
prey?

Lucky you, where I sit now I can see a squirrel hanging on one of our
feeders eating the sunflower hearts.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-10-2013, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2013 08:26, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote

I have not seen a squirrel for months. Now I have put up squirrel
proof feeders, but I cannot imagine that would stop them from trying.
I saw that in a thread about walnuts that the squirrels had not been
after them. Have they all been wiped out, or at least decimated by a
disease or prey?

Lucky you, where I sit now I can see a squirrel hanging on one of our
feeders eating the sunflower hearts.

Our bird feeders are deserted now, whereas a month ago you could set
your watch by the regular visitors. Been a bumper year for nuts and
acorns, so maybe they're spoilt for choice.
Not that good for sloes alas. We picked a few pounds yesterday but all
north facing and not very plump. Extra sugar in the gin this year!
Old 31-10-2013, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2013 09:51, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:24:36 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

snip

Our bird feeders are deserted now, whereas a month ago you could set
your watch by the regular visitors.

Ours too. We blamed the neighbours cat.

After a barren few weeks the birds are starting to return, mainly tits,
in fact this morning for a few minutes they were mobbing the feeders. A
woodpecker turned up yesterday, but strangely not a sparrow in sight,
yet last year they were as frequent as the tits. we'll see what happens
when the cold really sets in.
Old 31-10-2013, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have not seen a squirrel for months. Now I have put up squirrel proof
feeders, but I cannot imagine that would stop them from trying.
I saw that in a thread about walnuts that the squirrels had not been after
them. Have they all been wiped out, or at least decimated by a disease or
prey?

Saw one today in my garden so no prob with disease here.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:54:02 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have not seen a squirrel for months. Now I have put up squirrel proof
feeders, but I cannot imagine that would stop them from trying.
I saw that in a thread about walnuts that the squirrels had not been
after
them. Have they all been wiped out, or at least decimated by a disease
or
prey?

Saw one today in my garden so no prob with disease here.

Unless it was large pink squirrel.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

???

Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have not seen a squirrel for months. Now I have put up squirrel proof
feeders, but I cannot imagine that would stop them from trying.
I saw that in a thread about walnuts that the squirrels had not been after
them. Have they all been wiped out, or at least decimated by a disease or
prey?

Saw one today in my garden so no prob with disease here.

Unless it was large pink squirrel.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

???

Gin goggles joke, perhaps? Stress - joke!! You know - like pink
elephants etc.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I have not seen a squirrel for months. Now I have put up squirrel proof
feeders, but I cannot imagine that would stop them from trying.
I saw that in a thread about walnuts that the squirrels had not been
after them. Have they all been wiped out, or at least decimated by a
disease or prey?

Still a few around here, saw a squashed one on the
road today on way into town! They do seem to avoid
gardens where there are squirrel proof feeders,
presumably going for easier pickings elsewhere!

--
Roger T

Probably busy stashing up with acorns somewhere else.
I usually get a regular visitor but no sign of him/her yet.

We rarely see them in the garden in summer; they return in winter when
wild food supplies decline. (There are only reds here, and lots of
them). We had our first snow on the mountain top three days ago.

I saw the first squirrel skittering around the back lawn yesterday. I
was laughing because it took one nibble at the "harvest cake" we threw
out and turned up its nose. J had made this wonderful sounding recipe
(pears, apples, ginger) from the Co-op supermarket's latest free recipe
book. He is a very expert baker but harvest cake was a total disaster.
I couldn't finish the trial slice. J, never before been known to refuse
cake in any form, did the same. We threw the rest out for the birds
where the dog found it, took one taste and left the rest. So did the
seagulls and the pheasants and the blackbirds and now the squirrel.

LOL

Janet. (Isle of Arran)

Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

We rarely see them in the garden in summer; they return in winter when
wild food supplies decline. (There are only reds here, and lots of
them). We had our first snow on the mountain top three days ago.

snip

Janet, the most red squirrels that I have ever seen were in
the trees beside the drive up to Brodick Castle.

Phil