GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Time to visit the sheds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208640-time-visit-sheds.html)

David Hill 01-11-2013 04:27 PM

Time to visit the sheds?

Had to go to "The Range" this morning and as always had a look at their
plants, they had 5 or 6 trolleys of reduced plants, all actually alive
and looking quite good, just past their best.
Named Michaelmas Daisies in 2.5 litre pots down to £1.27. Lilies with
probably 4 corms £1.70, a named dahlia in 3.5 litre pot 75p.

I remember a couple of years ago picking up gentians in 1 litre pots for
10p each, that was a couple of days before Xmas.
Mind you there is always some rubbish amongst them.
David

Janet 01-11-2013 04:58 PM

Time to visit the sheds?

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Had to go to "The Range" this morning and as always had a look at their
plants, they had 5 or 6 trolleys of reduced plants, all actually alive
and looking quite good, just past their best.
Named Michaelmas Daisies in 2.5 litre pots down to £1.27. Lilies with
probably 4 corms £1.70, a named dahlia in 3.5 litre pot 75p.

I remember a couple of years ago picking up gentians in 1 litre pots for
10p each, that was a couple of days before Xmas.
Mind you there is always some rubbish amongst them.
David

You can get some great bargains. I keep hoping for a reduced black
bamboo.

I have several Michaelmas daisies in flower right now, which were end-
of-season bargains from a shed last year. I've just been putting winter
protection on the knock-down bargain banana I bought a few weeks ago.
Along with (indoor) gorgeous little cyclamen, 3 for £6, the sort with
smallish flowers that stand well,not the big blowsy ones. This was
after I bought one last year. It was so cheap I regarded it as a
disposable houseplant, but somehow after everything died off it got
forgotten, left starved and dry on a sunny windowsill all summer until a
few weeks ago, I noticed new leaf buds emerging. I rewarded its
persistence with repotting and a feed and it currently has a hundred
pure white flowers. The new ones are pink, and two (different) pink and
whites. I feel a new plant collection coming on...

Janet

stuart noble 01-11-2013 07:02 PM

Time to visit the sheds?

On 01/11/2013 16:27, David Hill wrote:
Had to go to "The Range" this morning and as always had a look at their
plants, they had 5 or 6 trolleys of reduced plants, all actually alive
and looking quite good, just past their best.
Named Michaelmas Daisies in 2.5 litre pots down to £1.27. Lilies with
probably 4 corms £1.70, a named dahlia in 3.5 litre pot 75p.

I remember a couple of years ago picking up gentians in 1 litre pots for
10p each, that was a couple of days before Xmas.
Mind you there is always some rubbish amongst them.
David

T&M seeds are all reduced to 50p in my local garden centre, although why
they chuck them all in one big bin I can't imagine. At least divide them
into flowers and veg. Nobody wants to rummage through several hundred,
so they might as well bin them and be done with it

sacha 02-11-2013 07:08 PM

Time to visit the sheds?

On 2013-11-01 19:02:47 +0000, stuart noble said:

On 01/11/2013 16:27, David Hill wrote:
Had to go to "The Range" this morning and as always had a look at their
plants, they had 5 or 6 trolleys of reduced plants, all actually alive
and looking quite good, just past their best.
Named Michaelmas Daisies in 2.5 litre pots down to £1.27. Lilies with
probably 4 corms £1.70, a named dahlia in 3.5 litre pot 75p.

I remember a couple of years ago picking up gentians in 1 litre pots for
10p each, that was a couple of days before Xmas.
Mind you there is always some rubbish amongst them.
David

T&M seeds are all reduced to 50p in my local garden centre, although
why they chuck them all in one big bin I can't imagine. At least divide
them into flowers and veg. Nobody wants to rummage through several
hundred, so they might as well bin them and be done with it

I expect it saves staff time and trouble to chuck them all in a bin and
let you do the sorting! You're not paid a wage. I agree with you btw!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com