Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hops

I've been told that hops will twine in different directions as they climb
upwards according to which hemispehere in which they grow.

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and my hops twine clockwise around supports.
Every single one of my stems is growing clockwise with not one counter
clockwise grower.

Has anyone in the Northern Hemisphere noticed which way hops twine where
they live?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/11/2013 14:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 12:54:50 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article ,
times says...

I've been told that hops will twine in different directions as they climb
upwards according to which hemispehere in which they grow.

Oh.. I thought it was , the way water swirls round as it reaches the
plughole.

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and my hops twine clockwise around supports.
Every single one of my stems is growing clockwise with not one counter
clockwise grower.

Has anyone in the Northern Hemisphere noticed which way hops twine where
they live?

No, but I'll go out and look at mine in a minute. Then I'll have to
check the plughole..

Janet

Hops climb from right to left.

Plughole, water goes down anticlockwise.

Janet

The direction that climbers twine is controlled by their genetics.
Some, e.g. hops, climb from right to left, but the majority, e.g.
beans and bindweed, climb from left to right*. Nothing to do with
which hemisphere they grow in, or the direction of the sun's travel
across the sky, as many seem to think.
*
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictiona...Twining+Plants

The way water spirals on going down the plughole has nothing to do
with the hemisphere it's in, either, but everything to do with eddies
set up in the basin or bath when the plug is pulled out, and/or subtle
differences in plughole design etc.

See below for further info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriol...bs_and_toilets

--

Jeff
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/11/2013 14:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
Hops climb from right to left.

Plughole, water goes down anticlockwise.

Janet

The direction that climbers twine is controlled by their genetics.
Some, e.g. hops, climb from right to left, but the majority, e.g.
beans and bindweed, climb from left to right*

UK so they twine from left to right but clockwise or anti clockwise?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/11/2013 17:46, David Hill wrote:
On 02/11/2013 14:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
Hops climb from right to left.

Plughole, water goes down anticlockwise.

Janet

The direction that climbers twine is controlled by their genetics.
Some, e.g. hops, climb from right to left, but the majority, e.g.
beans and bindweed, climb from left to right*

UK so they twine from left to right but clockwise or anti clockwise?

Or even OK so they twine..............
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thank you. Working off your cite as a base, I've since found out that this
way of twining is called dextrorse and twining in the other direction is
called sinistrorse.

(And Janet, you will no doubt realise that I'm now going to spend too much
time watching which way down the various domestic plugholes the water
drains. As if Spring chores weren't keeping me busy enough at this time of
year.........) ;-))

Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 Farm1 wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news

The direction that climbers twine is controlled by their genetics.
Some, e.g. hops, climb from right to left, but the majority, e.g.
beans and bindweed, climb from left to right*. Nothing to do with
which hemisphere they grow in, or the direction of the sun's travel
across the sky, as many seem to think.
* http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictiona...Twining+Plants

Thank you. Working off your cite as a base, I've since found out that this
way of twining is called dextrorse and twining in the other direction is
called sinistrorse.

Well, not quite! Dextrose is a sugar. But the Latin roots of the words
are correct. Dexter means right-handed and sinister means left-handed.
I'm not sure what adjectives can be derived from those nouns in the
context of twining plants; probably something like "dextral" and
"sinistral".

David

Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 13:29:37 +1100, Farm1 wrote:

I've been told that hops will twine in different directions as they
climb upwards according to which hemispehere in which they grow.

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and my hops twine clockwise around
supports.
Every single one of my stems is growing clockwise with not one counter
clockwise grower.

Has anyone in the Northern Hemisphere noticed which way hops twine where
they live?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/penny...FlandersSwann/
DropOfaHat/At%20the%20Drop%20of%20a%20Hat10.html

The fragrant honeysuckle spirals clockwise to the sun,
And many other creepers do the same.
But some climb anti-clockwise, the bindweed does, for one,
Or Convolvulus, to give her proper name.

snip

Said the right-hand-thread honeysuckle to the left-hand-thread bindweed,
"It seems they're against us, all fate has combined.
Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Colombine,
Thou art lost and gone forever, we shall never intertwine".

Ah, memories :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 David.WE.Roberts wrote:

[...]

I can't remember all of the verse, but the one I liked was if they
should marry and their off-spring wouldn't know which way to go:

"Left, right, what a disgrace, or it may go straight up and fall flat on
its face!"

David

Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 Farm1 wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news

The direction that climbers twine is controlled by their genetics.
Some, e.g. hops, climb from right to left, but the majority, e.g.
beans and bindweed, climb from left to right*. Nothing to do with
which hemisphere they grow in, or the direction of the sun's travel
across the sky, as many seem to think.
*
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictiona...Twining+Plants

Thank you. Working off your cite as a base, I've since found out that this
way of twining is called dextrorse and twining in the other direction is
called sinistrorse.

Well, not quite! Dextrose is a sugar.

and not the word she used, Dextrorse with an R after the T

Chambers definition of Dextrorse "rising helically and turning to
the left, crossing the observer's field of vision from left to right
upwards".

But the Latin roots of the words
are correct. Dexter means right-handed and sinister means left-handed.
I'm not sure what adjectives can be derived from those nouns in the
context of twining plants; probably something like "dextral" and
"sinistral".

How about dextrorse and sinistrorse ?

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

Janet.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 Farm1 wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news

The direction that climbers twine is controlled by their genetics.
Some, e.g. hops, climb from right to left, but the majority, e.g.
beans and bindweed, climb from left to right*. Nothing to do with
which hemisphere they grow in, or the direction of the sun's travel
across the sky, as many seem to think.
* http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictiona...Twining+Plants

Thank you. Working off your cite as a base, I've since found out that this
way of twining is called dextrorse and twining in the other direction is
called sinistrorse.

Well, not quite! Dextrose is a sugar.

and not the word she used, Dextrorse with an R after the T

Yes, I looked up dextrorse in online dictionaries and couldn't find it
so assumed it to be a typo. Silly me!

Chambers definition of Dextrorse "rising helically and turning to
the left, crossing the observer's field of vision from left to right
upwards".

The OED gives a similar definition; "rising toward the right, esp. of a
spiral stem".

That'll teach me to be a bit more careful!

David

Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 145 10-03-2004 05:18 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 05:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 04:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 04:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 01:44 PM