Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

"David Hill" wrote in message

You under rate the value of your experience.
How many tin#mes over the years have we been asked about plants for
troughs, baskets, tubs some wanting summer colour some winter show, others
again wanting to grow fruit or veg in containers.
How different are you to the person who lives in a 4th floor flat and
wants a window box or who has a 6ft by 3ft balcony and wants to grow
something?
You have faced problems that most of us have never experienced, so don't
under value your knowledge.

You are very kind David but even with my experiences, I know there are
others here with far more knowledge In my case, no special knowledge, and
in fact more a case of 'stick 'em in and see if they grow' lol. Sometimes
I have been lucky and others not. For example I sewed some courgettes
Summer before last and I got plenty of wee fruits and then ... nothing
they just withered and dropped off Now that was in the middle of a
field, so what happened to the insects I do not know or even if it was
something I did(( I've never had such a spectacular failure with
anything That tends to knock ones confidence

Thank you for your vote of support though It is very much appreciated)

O lurking and learning ... so that when the big day comes ....

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/11/13 17:50, Sacha wrote:

How many more years can we discuss when to harvest runner beans or plant
garlic?

Ooooh, lots: what with global warming and the changes that will bring
we'll soon need tips on maintaining our mango tree and the passionfruit
vine.

For my part, I shall remain with Usenet - I just don't have the
bandwidth to go blogging or play around on Farcebook.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 10-11-2013, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 09:32:36 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Derek" wrote in message

http://lincolnfuchsiasociety.info/

Ahh how is Lincoln these days? I miss it I used to live in Cherry
Willingham We had a nice garden there, not very big but it was the
first I'd ever had and I loved it

You know Ophelia I read this and thought of how much you've moved
around in your life and how little time you've had to establish a
garden and how badly you really do seem to want one.

Ahh you know me so well

I may be terribly
wrong but it seems to me that this makes you tentative in a gardening
group. Please don't be. In fact, you're bringing a unique perspective
to this group that nobody else has. Your wish to create a garden is
there, wherever you settle down. If you're still on the move and can
have a window box or a couple of containers, you're gardening. Growing
stuff is gardening. That stuff may be a lettuce you cultivate for a
matter of weeks in a compost bag, or a tree you live with and watch for
30 years in your forever garden. ALL of it is gardening. So just go
ahead and garden your way and please, talk about it if you'd like to.
Your experience is quite different to that of most of us and its very
interesting.

Hmm I think you may be alone there. I am not too sure anyone would be
interested in the wee things I do) Let me explain my limitations.
I run an aerogarden (hydroponic) all year round. I usually grow wee
tomatoes because Himself likes to pick them off like sweeties) I
grow them outside in a big pot in a basket in the summer too. Since we
stayed in UK and bought the caravan to move around with his consultancy
work (he does like his home cooked food), wherever we have been for
any time I used to be known on the sites as the plant lady LOL. Me of
all people LOL

On the front of the caravan (is it the A frame?) and around it. I've
had big pots of whatever I can manage in season. I have indeed grown
lettuce and herbs and sometimes courgettes, just stuff like that, just
stuff I can transport easily when he moves to the next job.

Thank you for your kindness but I think I would bore the pants of the
serious gardeners here. BUT I can read and dream - and I do. I have
high hopes of persuading him to retire this year, so then watch me
go))) I think at this stage it will be just container gardening but
at last I will be able to pick and choose more easily what I can grow.
I suppose atm the only serious gardening I do is cleanup and trying to
keep our garden looking tidy for the short periods we are home. I have
tried to plant things in it but I usually miss when they are ready and
they are just a mess when I get home. If you notice my questions here
are usually based on things like the best ground cover and maintenance
type stuff. Anything that makes it easier for the times I am home and
doing cleanup.

So, until then, I will continue to read avidly but in the background)

Thank you again. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Well, as David said, you actually do have a lot to contribute from your
experiences, even if you don't realise it. A great many people are
trying to grow food plants or ornamentals in tiny amounts of space and
both success and disaster stories most definitely have their place and
are useful.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-11-2013, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-10 17:19:23 +0000, RustyHinge said:

On 06/11/13 17:50, Sacha wrote:

How many more years can we discuss when to harvest runner beans or plant
garlic?

Ooooh, lots: what with global warming and the changes that will bring
we'll soon need tips on maintaining our mango tree and the passionfruit
vine.

For my part, I shall remain with Usenet - I just don't have the
bandwidth to go blogging or play around on Farcebook.

I didn't suggest anyone did - honest. Only that it's a Good Thing to
bring new subjects for discussion in urg and that blogs are one way of
finding them. So are newspapers, magazines and chat with non-urg
friends! But I do feel this one has now been done to death. I've
explained and re-explained, grovelled apologetically and explained
again Idon'tknowhowmanytimes! So finally, I hope - I AM NOT SUGGESTING
URG MIGRATES TO ANYWHERE OR BECOMES OTHER THAN WHAT IT IS. WITH ADDED
INTEREST.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-11-2013, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Well, as David said, you actually do have a lot to contribute from your
experiences, even if you don't realise it. A great many people are trying
to grow food plants or ornamentals in tiny amounts of space and both
success and disaster stories most definitely have their place and are
useful.

I can't see any knowledge I have would be more or better than that which
you all have.

Nevertheless, I will help if ever I am able

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 10-11-2013, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 22:28:20 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I agree that Newsgroups appear to be fading away quite quickly now, I
posted to another Ng a few days ago a technical question that 3 or 4
years ago would have had probably more than 10 knowledgeable replies by
now, but I've had nothing at all.

I think the problem started when most ISPs stopped supporting newsgroups.
On my original computer there was a button on the toolbar which said
"newsgroups" and that's how I discovered Usenet. Then I had to get an
NIN subscription to continue (not a problem) but most new computer users
don't even know Usenet is there as there is no gateway to it. My last
two computers didn't have a ng button for interested minds to notice. but
I've recently bought an old Dell with Windows XP Professional on and it
still has the newsgroup button which I can click on and get the whole
list of newsgroups available, but maybe it's because I have NIN. I
wonder what would happen if I clicked on it and hadn't. At least it is
there.
Unless the ISPs can be persuaded to support newsgroups again and promote
them, Usenet will die and it will be such a loss.
Tina

If you search Google's page of what you can do/access, 'Groups' is
literally the very last thing mentioned. ;-(
--

I can only suggest that we all inundate our ISP's with requests that they
support Usenet newsgroups again.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2013 17:50, Ophelia wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Well, as David said, you actually do have a lot to contribute from
your experiences, even if you don't realise it. A great many people
are trying to grow food plants or ornamentals in tiny amounts of space
and both success and disaster stories most definitely have their place
and are useful.

I can't see any knowledge I have would be more or better than that which
you all have.

Nevertheless, I will help if ever I am able

Maybe no better, but at least as good, and another opinion.
David
Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Well, as David said, you actually do have a lot to contribute from
your experiences, even if you don't realise it. A great many people
are trying to grow food plants or ornamentals in tiny amounts of space
and both success and disaster stories most definitely have their place
and are useful.

I can't see any knowledge I have would be more or better than that which
you all have.

Nevertheless, I will help if ever I am able

Maybe no better, but at least as good, and another opinion.

ok

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-11-2013, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-10 17:19:23 +0000, RustyHinge said:

On 06/11/13 17:50, Sacha wrote:

[...]

You absolutely did. Unless I misunderstood.

www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 17-11-2013, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-10 17:19:23 +0000, RustyHinge said:

On 06/11/13 17:50, Sacha wrote:

[...]

You misunderstood.
--

Sacha