Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles, getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

No, I can't say I remember any of that! The days truly were long and
sunny I don't know if anyone agrees with me but we used to have proper
summers and winters.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/8/2013 10:51 PM, Sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles, getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

I remember having a shower in the warm rain, not wearing a stitch of
clothing - but I was only a little piccaninny, then.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:15:11 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I totally agree!!! I remember snow, but that was lovely too

One of my snow memories is of course sledging in the
recrationground behind our house. Steep hills and
trees at the bottom -Elf & Softy would have a fit
today!.

Mind you I do remember one incident where a friends
big brother did fail to stop and hit a tree, braeking
his leg. Great excitement was had by all as an
ambulance (never saw those much) actually came into
the park, drove across the hollowed football ground to
collect him. Dont remember much about him or the
accident, just the ambulance!

All the hills we went sledging and breaking bones are now covered in
houses. One hill finished up in Hollingworth lake. When it froze in
winter we sledged or walked on the ice. The whole lot made a creaking
noise as we walked across, about a mile. The river that fed the lake
also froze over in 1962/63 winter and the water level dropped as the
flow stopped. This formed an ice cave for us to explore. We were
risking drowning and being crushed at the same time. Extreme madness.
My brothers still live near the lake. They say it has not froze over
for years. Global warming in Lancashire!

Steve

Old 09-11-2013, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 09:22:10 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 16:29:23 +0000, Sacha

On 2013-11-08 15:55:06 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 12:51:29 +0100, kay
wrote:

'David in Normandy[_8_ Wrote:
;994785']
I'm a moderator on a very large forum and yes, aside from diplomatic
skills rivalling those of an international diplomat, a thick skin
certainly helps! lol You also need to be a detective and have a keen
nose for detecting bullshit. I've been called every insult imaginable at

some time or other and even been threatened with physical harm. Another

good reason for keeping one's real life identity separate from forum
identities - that's the thing I dislike about facebook, its all
interconnected.
.

Yes, that's what I hate about facebook too. My different groups of
friends have different interests and ways of looking on life; I wouldn't
introduce them to each other in real life, so I don't like the way they
all get mixed into one heap on Facebook.

That's why I gave up using Facebook about a week after I started using
it. My gardening friends were all mixed up with my neural network
associates. I must have looked like a real idiot.

More importantly - I haven't met most urglers. I'm not going to
introduce them into my more intimate circle of facebook friends until I
have met them, and know them well enough to know I can trust them.

If we moved to a forum, I'd prefer reactive moderation. The occasional
nitwit will post, but can be picked up quickly and removed by a mod.
Less work for the mod than reading everything, and gives more
"ownership" (excuse mgt-speak) for the non-mod members of the group.

The main trouble with forums is they need logging in and out. It's
summed up by chap who compares forums with getting lots of newspapers,
only one comes from each newsagent. If I used forums instead of Usenet
I would need hours just to log in to each one as I use lots of
newsgroups.

Steve

You can start Facebook groups and they can be open or closed groups, so
you could start or join, a group for each specific interest. I
currently read and occasionally contribute to groups on food, hardy
tropical plants in UK, exotic plants and foliage plants.
Groups have people who are 'admins' and they can moderate a group, if
necessary but in practice this seems to be exercised lightly, if at all.

Logging in to multiple groups or forums is too much hassle for me.

Steve

No logging in required. They're just in a list to the side of my page,
so I simply click on the name of the group and I'm there, just as I'm
here using my newsreader. It may be different with closed groups.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 09:27:20 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another
place we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly
all day. Soon get used to it again though

We always get excited about snow here, too. It doesn't happen every
year and not always in large quantities. When that happens, it does
lose its charm quickly!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 12:47 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:

Logging in to multiple groups or forums is too much hassle for me.
I'm on two forums. Gardenbanter doesn't need you to log in to read, only if you want to post, and you can set it up to store your password (OK if you don't share your computer) so that logging in just means two clicks to submit a post rather than one.

The other forum uses better software, with much more control on what shows on your screen (eg new posts, or new posts only to threads you've contributed to). And again it can store your password so logging in is one click. I don't find it any hassle.

We're better disciplined on the second forum, starting new threads in the particular area when we get thread drift. And if we don't, the mods will often split a topic. That means people have all the techie stuff together and separated out from the idle chat. It works well - it's the "idle chat" that gets people posting every day, and it's often the ones posting in the idle chat area who have the knowledge to answer the techie questions.

I'm not saying forums are better than usenet. There are some things they do well, and some they do badly - like threading. If you have to make the move, you can change your behaviour to make the effects less of a nuisance.
__________________
Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 12:52:07 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:53:31 +0000, Sacha

On 2013-11-09 09:27:20 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another
place we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly
all day. Soon get used to it again though

We always get excited about snow here, too. It doesn't happen every
year and not always in large quantities. When that happens, it does
lose its charm quickly!

As soon as the snow turns to ice on the roads and pavements.

It so rarely happens here but if it does, I try not to drive. I'm just
not used to it and there's exceedingly little room to manoeuvre in
these lanes. Last year, when there was some ice, Ray tried to stop an
impatient driver turning off a main road onto one of our narrow lanes.
This person pulled past him and zoomed up the lane anyway, only to zoom
back out again quickly when he saw the Tesco van sliding straight down
it towards him! Both were very lucky that a usually busy main road was
empty at the time.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the
beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles, getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

No, I can't say I remember any of that! The days truly were long and
sunny I don't know if anyone agrees with me but we used to have proper
summers and winters.

If you ever had camping holidays you must also remember some very wet
muddy holidays too

Never went camping as a child.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message

One of my snow memories is of course sledging in the
recrationground behind our house. Steep hills and
trees at the bottom -Elf & Softy would have a fit
today!.

We used to slide down the banks of a small frozen river behind our cottage
(we hoped it was very frozen) on sheets of cardboard. I did get my feet
wet once but no big drama Didn't never not 'ave no posh sledges!

Mind you I do remember one incident where a friends
big brother did fail to stop and hit a tree, braeking
his leg. Great excitement was had by all as an
ambulance (never saw those much) actually came into
the park, drove across the hollowed football ground to
collect him. Dont remember much about him or the
accident, just the ambulance!

lol all to do with priorities dontchaknow )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 09:27:20 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself
longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another
place we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly all
day. Soon get used to it again though

We always get excited about snow here, too. It doesn't happen every year
and not always in large quantities. When that happens, it does lose its
charm quickly!

Oh yes! Especially when it starts to get sludgy and mucky!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a
giant rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles,
getting thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

No, I can't say I remember any of that! The days truly were long and
sunny I don't know if anyone agrees with me but we used to have
proper summers and winters.

We've been keeping monthly rainfall records for about 15 years now and
the average for each month closely correlates with the average for each
month up to 1956 (my wife studied geography and has a geographic atlas
published in that year). Wettest months are Oct and Nov closely followed
by August and July.
--
bert
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2013 13:19, bert wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes

Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2013 13:02, Ophelia wrote:

We used to slide down the banks of a small frozen river behind our
cottage (we hoped it was very frozen) on sheets of cardboard. I did
get my feet wet once but no big drama Didn't never not 'ave no posh
sledges!

I always made my own from planks of wood, from about the age of 11.