Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

"bert" ] wrote in message

We've been keeping monthly rainfall records for about 15 years now and the
average for each month closely correlates with the average for each month
up to 1956 (my wife studied geography and has a geographic atlas published
in that year). Wettest months are Oct and Nov closely followed by August
and July.

Does your wife know if the summers then were better than now? Would area
make a difference? I was in East Yorks.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:52:28 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

No logging in required. They're just in a list to the side of my page,
so I simply click on the name of the group and I'm there, just as I'm
here using my newsreader. It may be different with closed groups.

Accessing WEB forums and blogs is much too time consuming for me. I
don't use them apart from supporting my own.

Steve

Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 09/11/2013 13:02, Ophelia wrote:

We used to slide down the banks of a small frozen river behind our
cottage (we hoped it was very frozen) on sheets of cardboard. I did
get my feet wet once but no big drama Didn't never not 'ave no posh
sledges!

I always made my own from planks of wood, from about the age of 11.

Aye but you were a lad!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 13:05:16 -0000, "Ophelia"

On 2013-11-09 09:27:20 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself
longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good
English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another
place we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly
all
day. Soon get used to it again though

We always get excited about snow here, too. It doesn't happen every year
and not always in large quantities. When that happens, it does lose its
charm quickly!

Oh yes! Especially when it starts to get sludgy and mucky!

There were several smashed cars in the usual places on the moorland
roads leading into Whitby this week when they had the first hard frost
of this autumn.

Oh dear We've been in N.Yorks but nothing yet.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 13:47:54 +0100, kay
wrote:

Logging in to multiple groups or forums is too much hassle for me.

I'm on two forums. Gardenbanter doesn't need you to log in to read, only
if you want to post, and you can set it up to store your password (OK if
you don't share your computer) so that logging in just means two clicks
to submit a post rather than one.

I don't use Gardenbanter as it's a copy of URG.

I'm not saying forums are better than usenet. There are some things they
do well, and some they do badly - like threading. If you have to make
the move, you can change your behaviour to make the effects less of a
nuisance.

I've no intention of ever making the move. I'll probably die using
Usenet.

Steve

Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 16:40:50 +0000, Jake said:

wrote:

Logging in to multiple groups or forums is too much hassle for me.

Because I never use the same ID/Password combo in more than one place,
I use a password manager - mine's paid for but there are several
freebies out there and even the paid for ones are not that expensive.
All I have to do is browse to location x and the manager automatically
logs me in. An added bonus is that if something isn't right: the code
on the login page has changed, that's detected. The page may look
normal but ...

I'm on two forums. Gardenbanter doesn't need you to log in to read, only
if you want to post, and you can set it up to store your password (OK if
you don't share your computer) so that logging in just means two clicks
to submit a post rather than one.

I don't use Gardenbanter as it's a copy of URG.

It's actually quite a bit more than that. It plagiarises a number of
sources. And I have noticed there is worthy (as opposed to just ask a
question) input entered directly.

I'm not saying forums are better than usenet. There are some things they
do well, and some they do badly - like threading. If you have to make
the move, you can change your behaviour to make the effects less of a
nuisance.

I've no intention of ever making the move. I'll probably die using
Usenet.

I hope you live long enough to see Usenet die first.

Steve

I endorse that! Jake, could you please email me re that password
thingy? I have so many and get in a real muddle over them all!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 12:57:18 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 09:33:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles, getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

No, I can't say I remember any of that! The days truly were long and
sunny I don't know if anyone agrees with me but we used to have proper
summers and winters.

If you ever had camping holidays you must also remember some very wet
muddy holidays too

Never went camping as a child.

The only camping I ever did was Pony Club Camp - once. I was
absolutely freezing cold all night, the 'beds' were old army canvas
things and were beyond uncomfortable. And my horse escaped in the
middle of the night and we had to go looking for him. I swore then and
there, at the age of 13, that I'd never, ever camp again and I've
stayed true to myself!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 16:40:50 +0000, Jake said:
Because I never use the same ID/Password combo in more than one

place,
I use a password manager - mine's paid for but there are several
freebies out there and even the paid for ones are not that expensive.
All I have to do is browse to location x and the manager automatically
logs me in.

Can anyone using your computer do the same, eliminating the
security/privacy benefit of passworded logins?

Janet.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 16:40:50 +0000, Jake said:
Because I never use the same ID/Password combo in more than one

place,
I use a password manager - mine's paid for but there are several
freebies out there and even the paid for ones are not that expensive.
All I have to do is browse to location x and the manager automatically
logs me in.

Can anyone using your computer do the same, eliminating the
security/privacy benefit of passworded logins?

Janet.

You probably need a password to log into it.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 16:40:50 +0000, Jake said:

Because I never use the same ID/Password combo in more than one

place,
I use a password manager - mine's paid for but there are several
freebies out there and even the paid for ones are not that expensive.
All I have to do is browse to location x and the manager automatically
logs me in.

Can anyone using your computer do the same, eliminating the
security/privacy benefit of passworded logins?

You probably need a password to log into it.

Give me physical access to your computer for a very short while,
and (with VERY high probability), I could find out all of your
stored passwords. No, I don't know how for Microsoft systems,
but I know how to find out. Could I protect myself against
that? Yes. Do I? Like hell, I do. The only real point in
password protecting home computers is if you have children or
other people who you don't trust.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jake wrote:

The only real point in
password protecting home computers is if you have children or
other people who you don't trust.

No, if, like me, you work from home, you also guard against theft. And
if you're dealing with classified stuff you cannot "trust" your
nearest and dearest. Strong (third party not MS) encryption systems,
failed logon countdowns and so on plus physical security.

You either misunderstood what I said, or the security guarantees
you are relying on.

Yes, I can protect against someone copying my hard disk and
analysing the data on it, but a simple login password would
play no part in that. At the VERY least, you need to encrypt
the whole of your system with a boot password, which causes
major trouble if you forget it :-)

Remember that it is trivial to reboot from a mountable device,
copy the hard disk, and look at it at leisure or run it under
an emulator. Block THAT, and you are also disabling any real
chance of recovery from hardware failure.

That is one of the main reasons that most organisations with
classified material forbid it to be worked on at home, under
pain of immediate dismissal. There are exceptions, but any
effective protection against physical access is HARD.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jake wrote:

My point is that there may be reasons to secure a system beyond
preventing access by others in the same household i.e. not just a case
of "other people you don't trust."

And my point is that, for home computers, using a login password
for such purposes is at best largely futile and usually indicates
a misunderstanding of computer security.

If I, as an IT expert, were to use and trust such a mechanism, I
would be showing a lamentable lack of professionalism.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://lincolnfuchsiasociety.info/

Ahh how is Lincoln these days? I miss it I used to live in Cherry
Willingham

Live in Minster Drive :-)
Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Hill
writes
On 09/11/2013 13:19, bert wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

[...]

But where are you?

Cheshire
--
bert
Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes

"bert" ] wrote in message

We've been keeping monthly rainfall records for about 15 years now
and the average for each month closely correlates with the average
for each month up to 1956 (my wife studied geography and has a
geographic atlas published in that year). Wettest months are Oct and
Nov closely followed by August and July.

Does your wife know if the summers then were better than now? Would
area make a difference? I was in East Yorks.

Yes and no as explained above.
" the average for each month closely correlates with the average for
each month up to 1956" I have no idea about East Yorkshire or Timbuktu
as I don't have access to a rain gauge in those places.
--
bert