Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A new apple!

More than ten years ago (I think!) I planted some apple pips to see if I
could grow a tree. It's something I used to do from time to time with
little or no success.

However, after more than ten years or so, I now have a tree which I
planted in my French garden and this year, for the first time, it
produced its first apples. Great excitement! What would it be like?

In fact it is a beautiful eating apple. It looks good and the flesh is
crisp. It seems to be a late ripener - the apples weren't fully ripe
until late October. It is obviously a cross between the two apple trees
that I have here in my garden in Reading, one a cooker and the other an
eater, both of which were grown from seed by my predecessor more than
seventy years ago, so they themselves were something of a mongrel. But
this new one is superb. (My wife wants to call it the Rance's Wonder!)

Anyway, the purpose of this message is to ask about grafting. I want to
create more of the same that I can hand on to my children and I know
that I can do this only by grafting. What I need to know is, where can I
get rootstocks for this purpose? Does anyone know of a reliable
supplier?

David

Old 07-11-2013, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 10:29:04 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

[...]

Lucky you. 17 years ago my granddaughter (aged 3) planted a pip from
an apple. The tree is now planted in their garden, and fruits well.
Sadly they enjoy them so much that I have not yet got to taste one!
So I'd be interested in responses also.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-11-2013, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

You might find this site of interest, they can do the grafting for you
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/bud...ng-service.htm
David@ a improved side of Swansea compared to yesterday
Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, David. That does look very useful.

David