Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hiding a garage

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Steve

--

try vinca diformis, evergreen and grows downwards very well (unlike some
climbers that grow back up them selves) it will also root and grow in a

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 08-11-2013, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 11:28:24 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
.. .
Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Steve

--

try vinca diformis, evergreen and grows downwards very well (unlike some
climbers that grow back up them selves) it will also root and grow in a
layer of moss!!

Thanks. That's a possible to grow on the moss covered roof.

Steve

Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

Something that might do well is Campsis. That grows like ivy, with
flowers at the top where it leaves the support. It is deciduous,
but the flowers are spectacular in July/August. And, for such a
use, it should be low-maintenance.

That's a possible. Will it cling to concrete? Ivy doesn't.

That's a slippery concrete! Probably not, then, and I wouldn't
bet on Virginia creeper, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

Something that might do well is Campsis. That grows like ivy, with
flowers at the top where it leaves the support. It is deciduous,
but the flowers are spectacular in July/August. And, for such a
use, it should be low-maintenance.

That's a possible. Will it cling to concrete? Ivy doesn't.

That's a slippery concrete! Probably not, then, and I wouldn't
bet on Virginia creeper, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Parthenocissus tricuspidata or himalayana are the two that stick close
quinquefolia and henryana both pull themselves off unless its a rough
surface.

Just hanging some stock fencing down would widen the choice of what would
stay there

Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

One wall is South facing so it's gets the Sun.Anything we plant needs
to be low maintenance because we are both disabled. Espalier peach or
kiwi is a possible.

Actinidia is not.

And Wisteria certainly isn't.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2013 11:22, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 10:41:43 -0000, Janet wrote:

Espaliers are not low maintenance and kiwi is not self-clinging to a
flat wall.

We are still thinking about it. As we are disabled we would need to
get some help initially but once in place what does it need apart from
pruning?

"Apart from pruning"! If it gets going, that's a major task - and,
while it bleeds if pruned at most times of year, you often can't
tolerate a year's growth before hacking it back.

Something that might do well is Campsis. That grows like ivy, with
flowers at the top where it leaves the support. It is deciduous,
but the flowers are spectacular in July/August. And, for such a
use, it should be low-maintenance.

Campsis can be very invasive after several years once it has established
itself. It can spring up several metres from its planting point (just
search the internet on "Campsis" and "invasive" if you doubt me on this.
Read some of the negative comments he
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/644/. I speak from experience. I
spent several years trying to kill it with glyphosate and it still kept
coming up). I do not know if it is invasive everywhere it grows, but I
will /never/ plant it in the ground again.

--

Jeff
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2013 10:30, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

It might help to know where you are Jeff.
I had campsis growing outside here in South Wales but it struggled and
the first bad (For us) winter finished it off
Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:30, Jeff Layman wrote:

Campsis can be very invasive after several years once it has established
itself. It can spring up several metres from its planting point (just
search the internet on "Campsis" and "invasive" if you doubt me on this.
Read some of the negative comments he
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/644/. I speak from experience. I
spent several years trying to kill it with glyphosate and it still kept
coming up). I do not know if it is invasive everywhere it grows, but I
will /never/ plant it in the ground again.

It might help to know where you are Jeff.
I had campsis growing outside here in South Wales but it struggled and
the first bad (For us) winter finished it off

It grows well with me, and has never suckered too badly. But my
soil is well-drained, and Cambridge is much drier than Cardiff!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2013 11:59, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:
[...]

And Cardiff is a fair bit dryer than Swansea
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
. ..
Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Steve

--

try vinca diformis, evergreen and grows downwards very well (unlike some
climbers that grow back up them selves) it will also root and grow in a
layer of moss!!

Thanks. That's a possible to grow on the moss covered roof.

Steve

I've now ordered a packet of Vinca difformis seeds. It will be a bit
of a challenge to get someone to plant them among the moss.

Steve

Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2013 11:35, David Hill wrote:
[...]

It was in Horsham on Wealden clay. The plant was Campsis. × tagliabuana.

For the first 5 years it grew and flowered well. Then I noticed two or
three suckers coming up a couple of dozen cm from the single main shoot.
I pulled them out. Then more started appearing up to a metre away.
I pulled all of these up. The next year shoots appeared 3 or 4 metres
away, even getting under the greenhouse foundations. By this time the
main shoot was about 4 cm in diameter. I cut it off about 30 cm above
soil level, after spraying as much of the plant as I could with
glyphosate. Every time a sucker appeared I sprayed it. I also drilled
several 5 mm holes about 5 cm deep in the stump and filled them with
glyphosate concentrate. This slowed it down and a couple of years went
by with no more shoots. I thought I had finally killed it, but in
spring last year a couple of shoots appeared. I again sprayed these.

We moved in September. The new owner had in any case decided to dig up
most of the garden (including the bit with the campsis) and replace it
with lawn. I have no idea if it reappeared this year or not.

I cannot understand how the RHS can come up with an information page on
Campsis without even mentioning that there are reports it can be
invasive (http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=328)

--

Jeff

Hiding the Skimmer pixi Ponds 10 12-04-2004 04:33 AM
ideas for hiding sides of preformed ponds? Rockypierre Ponds 3 19-06-2003 05:56 PM
Hiding a concrete fence? JS United Kingdom 7 09-04-2003 04:32 PM
Hiding a chain link fence in Illinois [email protected] Gardening 5 01-03-2003 06:27 PM
hiding ugly gas tanks: regulations A.Malhotra United Kingdom 13 04-12-2002 07:37 PM