Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bad winter coming - Exacta weather

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:21:16 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 17:05:11 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

This came from a friend who runs a Transport business. Hope it will
be of some use!

snip apocalypse

It's being so cheerful as keeps 'em going.

lol long time since I've heard that

I am nearly sixty and am still too young to have heard it directly. Most
of my parent's generation, however, used it, and other ITMA catchphrases
with great regularity. Twenty million listeners! The other one still
often heard is "after you Claude". I suspect that like phrases from the
Authorised Version and BCP there are many who use them without knowing
where they come from. What will my generation's legacy be, I wonder? The
parrot sketch and fork-handles? There! back on topic!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Copied from another group:
~~~

The Farmers Almanac this year predicts a hard winter.

I have my own indicators - a heavy crop of crab apples, of winter pears and
a heavy but very late crop of grapes on my vine, huge crop of conkers and
lots of beech mast (earlier in the year).

The darned squirrels have nearly cultivated my garden with their frenetic
burying of foodstuffs.

That's good enough for me – If the squirrels say it’s going to be ‘ard it’s
going to be ‘ard!.

~~~
I guess all we can do is wait and see

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:21:16 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 17:05:11 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

This came from a friend who runs a Transport business. Hope it will
be of some use!

snip apocalypse

It's being so cheerful as keeps 'em going.

lol long time since I've heard that

I am nearly sixty and am still too young to have heard it directly.

Maybe more to do with the area you grew up I've never heard it up here!

Most
of my parent's generation, however, used it, and other ITMA catchphrases
with great regularity. Twenty million listeners! The other one still
often heard is "after you Claude". I suspect that like phrases from the
Authorised Version and BCP there are many who use them without knowing
where they come from. What will my generation's legacy be, I wonder? The
parrot sketch and fork-handles? There! back on topic!

lol nicely done)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 11:19:45 +0000, Ophelia said:

Copied from another group:
~~~

The Farmers Almanac this year predicts a hard winter.

I have my own indicators - a heavy crop of crab apples, of winter pears
and a heavy but very late crop of grapes on my vine, huge crop of
conkers and lots of beech mast (earlier in the year).

Isn't that just a sign that we had a decent summer, and most of the
flowers set?

Most of these amateur long range forecasts are based on predicting
headline events, such as heavy snow, widespread ice in the winter; and
violent thunderstorms, very hot days in the summer. They concentrate on
these because the general public remember them and will think to
themselves "oh Mr Bloggitt forecast heavy snow way back in October, he
must be a genius" forgetting that the actual prediction for the heavy
snow was so wishywashy and undefined that it could occur at any time
between November and March (as indeed heavy snow can occur at any time
during that period, for a few days, even in a winter that is milder
than average overall).

The winter (1 Dec to Feb 28/9 officially) of 2010/11 was a good
example. We had large quantities of snow well before Christmas, and
some very icy weather around the festive period, but after that Jan and
Feb 2011 were quite mild, and yet the media were still waffling about
Siberian winters becoming more commonplace (and other such nonsense)
well into one of the mildest Februarys for many years.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 10:21:16 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 17:05:11 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

This came from a friend who runs a Transport business. Hope it will be
of some use!

snip apocalypse

It's being so cheerful as keeps 'em going.

lol long time since I've heard that

ITMA

Not that far back but it was certainly in use when I was growing up
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin[_2_] View Post
And you are in a populous area David. Try finding an
accurate forecast for mid-Wales any where.
It's always more difficult in hilly areas because the weather travels up the valleys. Kent weather forecasts were depressingly spot-on, not just because it's in the SE, but also because there aren't any significant land forms to divert the weather. If it said it was going to rain all day, that's exactly what it did.

Is there a met office mountain area forecast that covers your area? Is it any good? I find the met office Yorkshire Dales mountain area forecast is pretty good. My only irritation is that it doesn't switch from "today" to "tomorrow" until about sunset, which means you often have to leave decisions quite late.
__________________
Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 11:19:45 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

Copied from another group:
~~~

The Farmers Almanac this year predicts a hard winter.

I have my own indicators - a heavy crop of crab apples, of winter pears
and a heavy but very late crop of grapes on my vine, huge crop of
conkers and lots of beech mast (earlier in the year).

The darned squirrels have nearly cultivated my garden with their
frenetic burying of foodstuffs.

That's good enough for me – If the squirrels say it’s going to be ‘ard
it’s going to be ‘ard!.

~~~
I guess all we can do is wait and see

According to Autum Watch a good crop this year reflects a good summer/
autumn last year when the trees and plants built up good reserves which
could be put into flowering this year resulting in the potential for a
good crop this year.

Given a good fruit set followed by a good summer, you get a good crop this
autumn.

With an abundance of food this year we probably have a lower infant
mortality rate in squirrels.

Then again, we might have psychic conker trees.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 08-11-2013, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

As I said, all we can do is wait and see. I may be mistaken but it would
appear that I had better go back to lurking since the things I have passed
on are now being taken as my personal opinion.

Btw with regard to your questions in ULM (about what Sacha and I have
posted) it could be said I gave them free advertising and the "but also was
accompanied by a lot of strong critical comment." Was not made by me! I
take it you will be hitting us with it at your leisure?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 11:59:31 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 17:05:11 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

This came from a friend who runs a Transport business. Hope it will
be
of some use!

snip apocalypse

Mona Lot

lol long time since I've heard that

ITMA

Not that far back but it was certainly in use when I was growing up

I remember it from ITMA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_That_Man_Again

"I'm going down now sir" - Another diver catchphrase, which became
widely used in descending lifts during the era of ITMA popularity.[5]
"This is Funf speaking" - German spy, spoken by Jack Train.[4] This
became a popular telephone catchphrase.[7]
"I don't mind if I do" - Colonel Humphrey Chinstrap's catchphrase,
spoken by Jack Train, turning any remark into an offer of a drink.[4]
The origin of this catchphrase precedes ITMA, but was nevertheless
popularised by ITMA.[8]
"Can I do you now, Sir?" - Spoken by Dorothy Summers as Mrs Mopp the
office char.[4][9]
"I go, I come back" - Middle Eastern vendor, Ali Oop. Spoken by Jack
Train.[4][10]
"It's being so cheerful as keeps me going" - Mona Lott, a depressed
laundrywoman played by Joan Harben.[11]
"Good morning, nice day" - commercial traveller about to offer some
sales line.[12][13]
"After you, Claude - no, After you Cecil" - Moving men spoken by Jack
Train and Horace Percival[4][14] This phrase became used by RAF pilots
as they queued for attack.[15]
"I'll have to ask me Dad" - Mark Time (an elderly ditherer). This "was
a political phrase introduced into ITMA when post-war reconstruction
was looming.[16] It was spoken by a Jack Train character, Mark Time,
who responded to all questions with this phrase.[4]
"But I'm all right now" - Hattie Jacques' character Sophie Tuckshop,
after describing a long list of food she had eaten.[17]
"TTFN (Ta ta for now)" and "Can I Do You Now" - Spoken by Dorothy
Summers' character, Mrs Mopp.[4][18]

I remember hearing stuff like that but not directly from the programme.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Ophelia
writes

. ..
wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 17:05:11 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

This came from a friend who runs a Transport business. Hope it will
be
of some use!

snip apocalypse

It's being so cheerful as keeps 'em going.

lol long time since I've heard that

ITMA

Not that far back but it was certainly in use when I was growing up

Dear Ophelia, you are clearly not old enough to remember ITMA!

The phrase is *definitely* that far back, and *definitely* ITMA. It was a
catchphrase from Mona Lott, a dressed laundry woman.

Martin has just posted some more from ITMA.

LOL I reckon you would be wrong g I suspect it just wasn't something my
parents listened to I've heard people use that when I was a child and
obviously that is where they got it from ;p

We didn't listen to much we were always quiet and reading books. The only
thing we listened to regularly was The Good Show! My Dad loved it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Ophelia
writes

wrote:

[...]

Oops that would be the Goons!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Malcolm" wrote in message

It's being so cheerful as keeps 'em going.

lol long time since I've heard that

ITMA

Not that far back but it was certainly in use when I was growing up

Dear Ophelia, you are clearly not old enough to remember ITMA!

The phrase is *definitely* that far back, and *definitely* ITMA. It was a
catchphrase from Mona Lott, a dressed laundry woman.

Martin has just posted some more from ITMA.

LOL I reckon you would be wrong g I suspect it just wasn't something my
parents listened to I've heard people use that when I was a child and
obviously that is where they got it from ;p

Actually, I think that it is older than ITMA, but its widespread
popularity dates from ITMA. That is certainly true for some of
the other phrases, such as "I don't mind if I do" and "Can I do you
now, Sir?"

I managed to get one change into the OED where they had fallen
into the trap of assigning a phrase to the author who popularised
it and not the originator. "To damn with faint praise" is actually
Wycherley, and Pope picked it up. But I suspect that the vast
majority of attributions are to the populariser and not the actual
originator, based on what I have seen happen in the past half
century.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

We didn't listen to much we were always quiet and reading books. The
only thing we listened to regularly was The Good Show! My Dad loved
it

Oops that would be the Goons!

I've just deleted the post I was writing to point that out :-)

g beat you to it .. Phew) Would you be a Goonie fan too? I have a
friend who has some old 75s records with the programmes on. We have a hoot
when we visit

Min
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-11-2013, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 13:17:00 +0000, Ophelia said:

[...]

Don't be discouraged, Ophelia! Please keep going. Unfortunately, one of
the problems with this medium is that you can't see the person you're
talking to and there are sometimes gaps between a post and an answer to
it. Other comments come in and unintentionally muddy the waters and the
next thing you know is that you're an ardent believer in something
you've merely raised as a topic of interest! As we have seen all too
well, all too recently!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-11-2013, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 13:17:00 +0000, Ophelia said:

[...]

lol, true enough Ok, thanks

Incidentally, a note to David.WE.Roberts, if you read any of Martin's link
you will have seen see that Exacta is quoted by a journalist there, so I
don't think they would be gunning for me especially.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/