GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   taxonomy link (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208685-taxonomy-link.html)

Emery Davis[_3_] 09-11-2013 12:01 PM

taxonomy link

Hmm, urg goes dormant, then wakes up in a flurry! I haven't been able to
keep up.

Anyway looking for synonyms for Betula tianschanica and came across this
_really_ useful site: http://www.theplantlist.org There is a simple
search which either gives you the accepted name and its synonyms or tells
you which accepted name your entry is a synonym for. This later is
especially useful when trying to navigate in the land of the obscure...

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Sacha[_11_] 09-11-2013 12:16 PM

taxonomy link

On 2013-11-09 12:01:58 +0000, Emery Davis said:

Hmm, urg goes dormant, then wakes up in a flurry! I haven't been able to
keep up.

Anyway looking for synonyms for Betula tianschanica and came across this
_really_ useful site: http://www.theplantlist.org There is a simple
search which either gives you the accepted name and its synonyms or tells
you which accepted name your entry is a synonym for. This later is
especially useful when trying to navigate in the land of the obscure...

-E

Very handy, thanks, Emery.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 09-11-2013 12:43 PM

taxonomy link

On 09/11/2013 12:01, Emery Davis wrote:
Hmm, urg goes dormant, then wakes up in a flurry! I haven't been able to
keep up.

Anyway looking for synonyms for Betula tianschanica and came across this
_really_ useful site: http://www.theplantlist.org There is a simple
search which either gives you the accepted name and its synonyms or tells
you which accepted name your entry is a synonym for. This later is
especially useful when trying to navigate in the land of the obscure...

You have to treat it with a touch of caution. It's the best single
source online, but it's not accurate for all groups of plants.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

David Hill 09-11-2013 12:48 PM

taxonomy link

On 09/11/2013 12:01, Emery Davis wrote:
Hmm, urg goes dormant, then wakes up in a flurry! I haven't been able to
keep up.

Anyway looking for synonyms for Betula tianschanica and came across this
_really_ useful site: http://www.theplantlist.org There is a simple
search which either gives you the accepted name and its synonyms or tells
you which accepted name your entry is a synonym for. This later is
especially useful when trying to navigate in the land of the obscure...

-E

Thanks for the link.
Saved it.

Emery Davis[_3_] 09-11-2013 02:53 PM

taxonomy link

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 12:43:43 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

You have to treat it with a touch of caution. It's the best single
source online, but it's not accurate for all groups of plants.

For some plants if you put 10 taxonomists together you'll have 10
different names! :) But this does seem to have the latest accepted names
(subject to further change of course) and the "confidence level" is a
smart idea.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy